Why become a member? ×

NCD - Barefaced One10 *REVIEW*

discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1462394893' post='3042770']
Wait, you've got one of these, haven't you? Have you gigged it yet?
[/quote]

LOL, I've not gigged yet! I've got it as my lounge set up, with a LM3. It's good there. It handles most situations :D

(I'm not helping much here, am I?)

I still dream of the day that unpredictable working commitments will stop and I'll have time to rehearse and gig. All I can say is at low volume, as you say - loads of bottom end and sounds great. It was getting the One10 that made me comfortable about losing the BigOne I had from you, Mark.

It's not as omni-directional as the BigOne, but the sound is comparable. Happy Jack did make one comment, when we were talking about this and his BF Baby at a Bass Bash; for some gigs they're embarrassingly small. Sometimes HJ uses the small cab and simply stands it on a large (unplugged) cab, just for it to look "right".

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1462393400' post='3042740']
Don't lose hope yet Martin, it might be totally crap at an actual gig... ;)
[/quote]

Fingers crossed Mark ;)

Also most intrigued by the amp stand. Never really bothered before but actually quite taken with the idea the more I think about it. You'll have to let me know the pros and cons of the Stagg vs the (I assume!) MarkBass Velcro strip(TM) :)

Edited by Merton

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1462396731' post='3042799']
...for some gigs they're embarrassingly small.
[/quote]

Size isn't everything... I suppose if you're in a loud metal band with attitude it would be an issue, but in my current band it's way down the list of possible embarrassments. :D

Edited by discreet

I have a GK MB800 head and two of these One10 cabs. They are ridiculous! I play upright bass, and one cab is more than sufficient even with a drummer. I have played an outdoor gig to 1500 - 2000 people, no sweat. There is so much bottom end I run my bass knob at 9 or 10 o'clock. I find no need for a tilt-back. Even if I'm standing over the cab, it disperses so well that I can hear myself easily. I purchased the second cab more for pushing air to get a huge room-filling sound, rather than needing it for volume. The only cab I have ever played through that matches the Barefaced for upright bass is a Greenboy 12/6 which weighed 17kg, but at 7 kg each, my damaged back is loving the One10s.

I've gigged a pair of these for a while (on loan from Barefaced) one cab was plenty for smaller restaurant gigs using a mark bass f1 (250W at 8ohms) and I used both on bigger gigs, and they great. Plenty enough 'heft'😄.

They are such efficient cabs I'd expect the MB200 to be fine for most gigs.

[quote name='NoirBass' timestamp='1462427581' post='3042881']
I've gigged a pair of these for a while (on loan from Barefaced) one cab was plenty for smaller restaurant gigs using a mark bass f1 (250W at 8ohms) and I used both on bigger gigs, and they great. Plenty enough 'heft'.

They are such efficient cabs I'd expect the MB200 to be fine for most gigs.
[/quote]

Interesting...

I think I'm going to have to try a pair. It's not the lack of volume or bottom end that I'm apprehensive about, more the core tone... I don't want my bass to be all mids and not a lot else, which was my previous experience of the older cabs.

The idea of two of these is very appealing though and the rep seems to be good now so I think I shall have to try myself a pair.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1462433050' post='3042906']
I don't want my bass to be all mids and not a lot else, which was my previous experience of the older cabs.
[/quote]

You need have no worries on that score. The One10 is completely unlike any other small box with a 10" driver in it. I'm using a P with flats admittedly, but I'm getting a lovely warm tone with my amp set flat. The 'baked-in' tone of the One10 is very sweet indeed. I'm still grinning. :biggrin:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1462434924' post='3042923']
You need have no worries on that score. The One10 is completely unlike any other small box with a 10" driver in it. I'm using a P with flats admittedly, but I'm getting a lovely warm tone with my amp set flat. The 'baked-in' tone of the One10 is very sweet indeed. I'm still grinning. :biggrin:
[/quote]

Good stuff... I'm hoping to make the Herts bash this year and I very much hope someone has a pair.

What are the dimensions? ... I'm terribly OCD about amp overhang :blink:

... looking at your photo anything much more than MB200 would overhang? Then again if an MB200 is enough through them I'd just get another one of those.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1462436078' post='3042935']
I've just looked up the dimensions and I'd have half an inch overhang either side with my Glockenklang...
[/quote]

Is that with them stacked vertically? The One10 is 11.5" wide vertically and 15" wide horizontally. You won't have any dispersion issues if you stack them either way, it's still two 10" cabs on top of each other. :)

Or you could think outside the box and see it as an excuse to buy another amp. :lol:

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1462435639' post='3042928']
... looking at your photo anything much more than MB200 would overhang?
[/quote]

The MB200 is 7.5" wide and a vertical One10 is 11.5" wide, so 2" space either side. There are loads amps that would 'fit', including anything from the G-K MB range (200, 500, 800 + 500 and 800 Fusions), both Aguilar Tone Hammers, Mesa D800, Peavey MiniMax, any of the MarkBass Little Mark series (and others)... Demeter Bass 400, Minnie 800D... and on and on.

If you place the One10 horizontally (say, on a stand) you get another 3.5" and this opens the possible range of amps you could use without overhang quite considerably. Ampeg PF500, FP800, Ashdown MAG 420, RM800... Demeter VTBP-M-800D! And so on.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1462436187' post='3042936']
Is that with them stacked vertically? The One10 is 11.5" wide vertically and 15" wide horizontally. You won't have any dispersion issues if you stack them either way, it's still two 10" cabs on top of each other. :)

Or you could think outside the box and see it as an excuse to buy another amp. :lol:
[/quote]

Well the Glock is 12.6" x 11" so I expect the feet would still fit on the cab if vertical... might be a little unstable though!

I didn't even think about stacking them the other way :blink:. That would of course work fine negating the issue entirely... handle might get in the way but I expect that'll fall off after a few days anyway....

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1462436459' post='3042937']
...handle might get in the way but I expect that would fall off after a few days anyway...
[/quote]

Hee, hee. The build quality is not bad. You can specify a mod to have the handle on the side with the feet, thus leaving a nice flat area on the other side for your amp... quite a few on TB have done this, and one or two of this parish also, I believe.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1462437358' post='3042950']
Hee, hee. The build quality is not bad. You can also specify a One10 to have the handle on the side with the feet, thus leaving a nice flat area on the other side for your amp... quite a few on TB have done this, and one or two of this parish also, I believe.
[/quote]

I reckon with the rubber feet my amp might clear the handle anyway... mind you putting the handle on the bottom just to be safe is a good plan.

To be honest it only weighs 7kg so the handle doesn't really get much of a workout anyway.

Be interested to hear back once you've used it with drums...

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1462437613' post='3042951']
Be interested to hear back once you've used it with drums...
[/quote]

You may have to wait a while... my current band uses a kick drum and percussion, but not a full kit, so no shed-building rock-type shenanigans. Which is one of the great advantages of the band in my humble opinion (!) and is the main reason we can generally get a very clear sound in any room... :)

But this guy has used it with drums...

[quote name='Marty Forrer' timestamp='1462405693' post='3042852']
I have a GK MB800 head and two of these One10 cabs. They are ridiculous! I play upright bass, and one cab is more than sufficient even with a drummer. I have played an outdoor gig to 1500 - 2000 people, no sweat. There is so much bottom end I run my bass knob at 9 or 10 o'clock. I find no need for a tilt-back. Even if I'm standing over the cab, it disperses so well that I can hear myself easily. I purchased the second cab more for pushing air to get a huge room-filling sound, rather than needing it for volume. The only cab I have ever played through that matches the Barefaced for upright bass is a Greenboy 12/6 which weighed 17kg, but at 7 kg each, my damaged back is loving the One10s.
[/quote]

Edited by discreet
  • Like 1

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1462437358' post='3042950']

Hee, hee. The build quality is not bad. You can specify a mod to have the handle on the side with the feet, thus leaving a nice flat area on the other side for your amp... quite a few on TB have done this, and one or two of this parish also, I believe.

[/quote]

This isn't helping! Argh

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1462436187' post='3042936']

The MB200 is 7.5" wide and a vertical One10 is 11.5" wide, so 2" space either side. There are loads amps that would 'fit', including anything from the G-K MB range (200, 500, 800 + 500 and 800 Fusions), both Aguilar Tone Hammers, Mesa D800, Peavey MiniMax, any of the MarkBass Little Mark series (and others)... Demeter Bass 400, Minnie 800D... and on and on.

If you place the One10 horizontally (say, on a stand) you get another 3.5" and this opens the possible range of amps you could use without overhang quite considerably. Ampeg PF500, FP800, Ashdown MAG 420, RM800... Demeter VTBP-M-800D! And so on.
[/quote]

Mr Discreet, you are a man with way too much time on your hands.

Just go play it and enjoy :lol:

@CamdenRob you could always get a TWO ten. I borrowed one of those too and it was brilliant as well. And you'd have no amp overhang! :D

+1 on discreet saying it isn't all mids. The low end is fat, I found myself rolling off bottom not adding it.

Edited by NoirBass

[quote name='NoirBass' timestamp='1462458645' post='3043190']
@CamdenRob you could always get a TWO ten. I borrowed one of those too and it was brilliant as well. And you'd have no amp overhang! :D

+1 on discreet saying it isn't all mids. The low end is fat, I found myself rolling off bottom not adding it.
[/quote]

I have a great 210, I just reckon 2x 110s would be even easier to get around and would also give me the flexibility of taking just one for acousticy type gigs.

... it's just GAS really!

Edited by CamdenRob

I probably would have bought a Two10 in the first place but as soon as I had the funds for a One10 I went for it, being impatient on one hand and intrigued on the other. Plus, two One10s would make for a very versatile modular system.

No point giving yourself a hernia carrying 13kg when you can carry 7kg - if that's all that's needed. ;)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1462459738' post='3043203']
No point giving yourself a hernia carrying 13kg when you can carry 7kg - if that's all that's needed. ;)
[/quote]

Hernia?! 13kg?! What are men made of nowadays! Tsk, tsk, tsk...

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1462461525' post='3043217']
Hernia?! 13kg?! What are men made of nowadays! Tsk, tsk, tsk...
[/quote]

Plus the amp in a case with the cables etc, and the (lightweight..?) bass... It all adds up, you know. :rolleyes:
It all seems to stem from this bass-specific need to have a 'one-trip' rig. I have a rug, a drum throne, three cymbal-drum stands, a pedal vanity case, five soft flight cases and a cymbal flight case to load in and out. Do I do that in one foul swoop..? The heck I do..! You've chosen well to go for bass. Could've gone for piccolo, though; even less to haul... :lol: :P