Why become a member? ×

Scale length question

Hi All,

So I am very close to finishing a P bass project and have some questions regarding scale length.

I picked up an old P bass from a charity shop to use the body for this project and have replaced the bridge but I used the existing holes from the previous bridge, I then measured the scale length and it came in at 34.5".

My question is: Does this really matter? Would the collective advise me to drill holes for the bridge half an inch up in order to have a 34" scale?

I understand that a longer scale will increase the string tension and will change the "voice" of the instrument.

Just looking for some advice,

Cheers!

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1462377610' post='3042543']
Try it as it is & see what happens.
[/quote]
+1 to this :D. Actual distance from nut to saddle is generally close to 34" for the G string and a bit longer for the E. Depending on how you measured it, 34.5" sounds like it may be a bit out on intonation.

Edited by ikay

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1462380676' post='3042567']Depending on how you measured it, 34.5" sounds like it may be a bit out on intonation.[/quote]

If there isn't enough adjustment on the bridge to bring the scale back to 34", then your 12th fret will be out by 1/4" and intonation will be obviously wrong.

How did you measure the scale length? I.e where was the saddle set and did you measure from the correct side of nut. A 34" scale E string will never be set at 34" and be in tune at the 12th fret. Additional distance is required for compensation.

If you measured 34.5" with the saddle set all the way forward, then you're out of luck and will need to reposition.

Never measure the scale length from the bridge.

The best thing to do is to measure from the fingerboard side of the nut to the 12th fret and double it. [b]This is the scale length[/b].

Then place the bridge in position with one of the saddles wound as far forward as it will go and another wound fully back and measure from the nut to the front of each of these saddles. The shorter measurement should be slightly less than than the scale length calculated earlier. The longer should be at least 1/2 an inch more than the scale length.

If the measurements are within the range then all is good with the existing bridge mounting holes. If not then you'll have to reposition.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1462395235' post='3042776']
Never measure the scale length from the bridge.

The best thing to do is to measure from the fingerboard side of the nut to the 12th fret and double it. [b]This is the scale length[/b].

Then place the bridge in position with one of the saddles wound as far forward as it will go and another wound fully back and measure from the nut to the front of each of these saddles. The shorter measurement should be slightly less than than the scale length calculated earlier. The longer should be at least 1/2 an inch more than the scale length.

If the measurements are within the range then all is good with the existing bridge mounting holes. If not then you'll have to reposition.
[/quote]
This.

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly, thanks for all your advice. I like to think I can set up an instrument but this is my first time putting one together and setting it up which is proving more challenging that I (naively) thought.

I have another question. When measuring from the nut to the 12th fret, where do you measure to? The beginning or middle of the fret? If it is the middle do I need to move my bridge saddles to 42cm?

Thanks again for your help

[quote name='BassApprentice' timestamp='1463755639' post='3053887']...do I need to move my bridge saddles to 42cm?...
[/quote]

Yes, middle of the fret. From the photos, it looks as if the left edge of the bridge should be at 41 cms, I'd suggest.

Using your picture there, I would measure the distance as 432mm.

Don't forget the point you're measuring to is the breakpoint where you're bending the string over the fretwire, not the place where you put your finger.

Yes, as Dad says, it's very possible that you might need to move the bridge up a bit

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1463762257' post='3053942']
This is (roughly...) where the bridge should measure 43.2, hence the 'front' of the bridge at 41...

Hope this helps; subject to completion, correction and/or contradiction from others.
[/quote]

Sorry I haven't been on in a while. This photo is great! Thanks very much.

The consensus seems to be to move the bridge forward so I'll give that a go.

Thanks all and I may be back with more questions!