Why become a member? ×

New RHCP single

Chiliwailer

First impressions of the album: Few decent pop songs on it, but a the rest is a little dull and lacks energy, for me.

Best tracks: The Getaway, Dark Necessities, Sick Love (feat. Elton John, don't ya know, which is why it sounds like Bennie and the Jets), Go Robot.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1466420763' post='3075620']
I saw them last week and was completely disappointed. They looked and sounded like a band going through the motions.
[/quote]

funny, the main criticism from my gf was about Kiedis' voice. She said he sounded bored.

[quote name='HMX' timestamp='1466424680' post='3075659']
First impressions of the album: Few decent pop songs on it, but a the rest is a little dull and lacks energy, for me.

Best tracks: The Getaway, Dark Necessities, Sick Love (feat. Elton John, don't ya know, which is why it sounds like Bennie and the Jets), Go Robot.
[/quote]

... and you just selected the only four tracks that I remembered after the first listen! Those are the best for me too, but there are a couple others that seem to be growing on me...

Just listened to my copy - I really wanted to love this album, was looking forward to hearing their work with a different producer and was encouraged by Chad Smith's comment that they were making a "super-dancable" record.
About half of it is good and half of the good half is great - the rest of it is pretty forgettable.
Disappointed. :(
Edit: Having given it another couple of listens, it's growing on me. It's [i]very[/i] laid back though. To balance this, I've been listening to One Hot Minute too. Loudly. :D

Edited by Grassie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I love The Getaway. For me, they have indeed got away with it. They have survived John and have become a valid creative force once again. I had an idea it might be a low-key album (for them) from the couple of tracks we heard before it was released, and I'm glad that it is.
Current fave is last song, Dreams Of A Samurai. Simple, but a cool odd meter groove from Chad..

http://youtu.be/AFkokbBtmGs