Why become a member? ×

New RHCP single

Chiliwailer

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1464071192' post='3056207']

I know what it looks like. I kinda picked up on that myself, but why no Modulus? I didn't think he was a Fender guy at all. It's a standard tuning song, so?
[/quote]

He used a '64 jazz on the Stadium Arcadium record, so I guess he likes to use them live sometimes too.

Shame he doesn't seem to play a Wal much anymore.

[quote name='Grassie' timestamp='1464074873' post='3056238']

As always, musical taste is subjective.
I was going to post a profound argument in favour of the individual and their freedom of opinion and taste, bit ultimately, I can't be arsed. You don't like Red Hot Chili Peppers, I can't stand the Rolling Stones. CLICHÉ ALERT! "It would be a boring world if we all liked the same things."
[/quote]

I can't think of any successful artist or band that I would put in "I Can't Stand Them" status.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Grassie' timestamp='1464074873' post='3056238']

As always, musical taste is subjective.
I was going to post a profound argument in favour of the individual and their freedom of opinion and taste, bit ultimately, I can't be arsed. You don't like Red Hot Chili Peppers, I can't stand the Rolling Stones. CLICHÉ ALERT! "It would be a boring world if we all liked the same things."
[/quote]

I wouldn't say I don't like the Red HOT Chilli Peppers. I should have said they're not relevant to me. I don't know enough about them to dislike them.

I can't imagine to many guys your age where The Stones would be relevant.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1464076672' post='3056258']

I wouldn't say I don't like the Red HOT Chilli Peppers. I should have said they're not relevant to me. I don't know enough about them to dislike them.

I can't imagine to many guys your age where The Stones would be relevant.

Blue
[/quote]
They're only relevant in that they've influenced some of the musicians from my "generation". But then I don't really listen to them either. Maybe the odd Black Crowes tune.

You can make the picture in this article full screen & gives a good view - stack-knob jazz with badass bridge, though I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will have more to say on the bass model than me.
[url="http://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/may/23/rock-music-is-dead-red-hot-chili-peppers-flea-pearl-jam"]http://www.theguardi...-flea-pearl-jam[/url]

Whether people find them relevant or not is meaningless to me, esp comparing the perceived relevance to another band - I just know I'm looking forward to seeing them again this summer!

I also I no idea why he's not using modulus - I'd still love to try one but it's nice I can use my current bass to get a similar sound (in theory), other than the bits that come from the fingers obv (It's all in the fingers!).

Edited by Lw.

Used to be a massive peppers fan, not so much now but that new single sounds promising. Anyway, I am pretty sure that sometime around or just after the By The Way Tour (last time I saw them) he had started using a vintage Jazz most of the time. He may have been back to Modulus since then though for all I know.

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1464085138' post='3056365']
My band are covering By The Way which is very fun on bass (I have to sing too, dammit).

I may suggest some of the newer ones as they are generally popular, if a bit less intense to play.
[/quote]
We used to cover that when it was current. Good fun to play. I used to sing backing vox, god those harmonies go high!

[quote name='AndrewJordan' timestamp='1464085563' post='3056370']
We used to cover that when it was current. Good fun to play. I used to sing backing vox, god those harmonies go high!
[/quote]
I'll be skipping the rapping part but can cope with the rest of it.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1464079931' post='3056301']

I though we had done this to death already?
[/quote]

I didn't reference The Stones. I merely responded to the reference to The Stones.

Blue

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1464101097' post='3056554']

[/quote]

You might know a lot if you weren't there, you might even know more than me. But you don't know it like I know it.It's more a perspective issue than anything else.

It works both ways, you certainly won't hear me making comments on any of the newer more contemporary socially relevant bands. I wasn't there.

Blue

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1464115203' post='3056699']
Give it up blue. You're not doing yourself any favours pal.
[/quote]

Agreed, I'm probably not doing myself any favors,more like merely maintaing my position.

Blue

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1464047063' post='3056155']
Here is a live version from 22/5 which was uploaded a few hours ago....

https://youtu.be/HwbB2uljQ5k

Flea's bass looks very Fender shaped. Pretty sure I saw Fender on the headstock. What gives?
[/quote]
I believe that was a '61 or '62 stack knob Jazz given to Flea by John Entwistle before he passed away (1 of only 3 in that colour ever made). Flea used that Jazz on Stadium Arcadium for I think every song bar a couple. He then used it live for the SA tour but went back to his Modulus a few weeks in because he felt that bass cut through better live.

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1464167749' post='3057037']
Just caught up on this thread, here's some more Flea using Fenders action for you with Atoms For Peace, nice to see him on a P Bass again too...

[media]http://youtu.be/9CjzVdZcnh0[/media]
[/quote]

Yeah it's been a while since Flea used a precision live.

I think this will grow on me but I have to agree that BSSM was their best album. One Hot Minute which I consider their lost album as a lot of people forgot about it was fantastic as well with some great tunes - "Stretch" which missed out on being on the album is a great track. I sometimes use "Transcending" as my soundcheck thing.

For me it was Under The Bridge that did it. A fairly funky rock balad but unfortunately they became more and more prevalent on the albums until the funk was almost gone.

Stadium Arcadium could easily have been a single album

My 3 favourite Chilis tunes never made it onto the albums - Felas Cock, Sikamikanico & Stretch

I think I must've missed the Stones threads but to throw my tuppence in the ring - in the 60s they were trounced by the Beatles and in the 70s they were trounced by Led Zeppelin. They are so popular because they are still alive despite being bloody awful live. Bland corporate rock for rich people.

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1464301199' post='3058373']

My 3 favourite Chilis tunes never made it onto the albums - Felas Cock, Sikamikanico & Stretch

I think I must've missed the Stones threads but to throw my tuppence in the ring - in the 60s they were trounced by the Beatles and in the 70s they were trounced by Led Zeppelin. They are so popular because they are still alive despite being bloody awful live. Bland corporate rock for rich people.
[/quote]

You mean,you think The Stones are bloody awful live.

I've been going to their shows since 1972 and last saw them last year.

I think they're the best live rock band in the world. Key phrase. "I think" as in IMO.

I can't comment on the Chilles, I don't know enough about the band or their history.I can't name one of their songs.

Blue

Edited by blue

I think we are off topic..... For me RHCP died when Frusciante departed, but like others Mothers Milk and other old stuff has my preference. BSSM I both loved and hated, lost track after.

One Hot Minute, was that the one with Dave Navarro?