Why become a member? ×

New RHCP single

Chiliwailer

The intro smacks of a lazy rehash of Can't Stop.

Great musicians, but I have no clue why they ever decided to persevere with the talentless, one-dimensional and lyrically constipated Anthony Kiedis.

If 1991 Chilis could see what they would become musically, I think they might top themselves. I loved their music up until Californication. After that, with the exception of a couple of songs, they disappeared up their own bums a bit. The band just seems devoid of ideas these days.

It's decent. It's not the rhcp that I want to hear though. I feel they are in a rut like so many other bands that get massively big... I.e they write songs that stick to a recipe that has worked commercially. The bass on this certainly doesn't excite me!

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1462469201' post='3043325']
...I have no clue why they ever decided to persevere with the talentless, one-dimensional and lyrically constipated Anthony Kiedis.
[/quote]

Maybe he owns the PA & van.

I thought it was pretty good. Spookily I went out in the car shortly after hearing it on here and it came on the radio - it's actually quite catchy and also comes from the school of thought that bass guitar didn't die as a part of pop music in the last ten years!! The bass makes quite a contribution.

They're my favourite band ever, but, in light of the output 'By The Way' onwards, I wasn't expecting much (Detest Stadium Arcadium and I'm With You) but this actually pleasantly surprised me. I have high hopes for the new album now that Josh is established and out of his shell, he's a brilliant musician.

Edited by 40hz

Nice for the late night drive after a gig kinda tune.
I like it.

From a bass geek point of view, the bassline is nothing new of course but it serves the song perfectly and Flea's tone, for me, is much sweeter than on the last couple of efforts.
I'll buy the new album.

I'm with them. ;)

My favourite era was up to & including Mothers Milk.

I didn't mind when they started chasing the mainstream from Blood Sugar Sex onwards, but I wasn't as keen though there's no denying they still made some outstanding music all the way up to By the Way.

Stadium Arcadium was the moment they jumped the musical shark for me, its not a terrible album, its just incredibly bland & generic compared to what preceded it.

Since then I've heard nothing from them to get me excited, including this new release. Again its not terrible, but its a long way from the hairs on the back of my neck excitement I used to get when I heard a new Chili's track.

(All of this is strictly my opinion, opposing opinions are equally valid).

Edited by Cato

I liked it. At least it wasn't the Star Speckled Banana. ;)
Best Chilis album for me is BSSM. They've had a few tasty moments since, but nothing has toasted my crumpet quite as much as that album did.

Not bad. It's got all the bits in it for people that dislike RHCP to dislike & definitely follows their usual formula but still listenable for someone that does generally like them.

I must be getting old as I quite like the chilled out vibes they're going for nowadays, don't even mind the piano. Will give the album a listen on Spotify & maybe buy the record if it's any good.

ok little tune no get up to it though, the clapping was very annoying though, could only really tell it was the peppers from fleas bass and anthony keid singing but if you replaced them with other players you wouldnt be able to distinguish the song as the peppers.

I quite enjoyed that, more so than I thought I would; not sure about the slap part in the verse, sounds a little shoe-horned in, will probably grow on me though.

I'll probably give the album a go when it's out, got to be better than the last one.

Bit funky, annoying piano, Antwan The Swan doing the one tune he can "sing" - typical New Chillis...
Much preferred it when they had some [i][i]cojones[/i] - [/i]I remember seeing them at the Clarendon in Hammersmith, 1987ish, then later at the Mean Fiddler (when Hillel had to leave the stage due to "issues" (!) and te other 3 had to continue - awesome bass playing!) and they definitely rocked then.
But then my favourite albums were RHCP, Freakey Styley and Mother's Milk...

Not bad - bassline is quite groovy, but it lacks the grunt that RHCP used to deliver. I sort of lost interest after Blood Sugar Sex Magic and they got a bit too commercial for my taste. Don't blame 'em for that, though. Good luck to them - they've earned their success.