Why become a member? ×

Revelation RBP65 or Vintage V4? Update - bought the Revelation

miles'tone

I'm looking for a decent budget P type bass at the mo and I'm really tempted by the Revelation P in red. I've had a Vintage V4 in the past and it was great, priced right and didn't need any modding (a bold statement coming from me as I usually can't leave things alone without tinkering), probably the nicest feeling neck (size-wise, really suited my hands) I've played.
BUT, I really like the red finish of the Revelation. Plus the headstock is interesting and it's links to Alan Entwistle are reassuring.
Anyone have experience with both? Is the Revelation as great bang for buck as the Vintage?

Edited by miles'tone

Revelation. They're well made and have much better pickups. The Revelation P I played recently had a real bark, sounded great.

I think the Revelations are the best low-cost instruments out there right now, plus you'll be supporting a British company! :)

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1462733782' post='3045328']
What is that Revelation like? I'm on the lookout for a cheap P - is it a P neck or more of a J neck?
[/quote]

It's flatter and wider than a J, but maybe not quite as chunky as a traditional P. Pretty comfy.

My Revelation RBJ 5-string was pretty good out of the box, but once it had had a proper setup it was comparable to any high-mid-level J I've ever played. And then chucking a J-Retro in there turned it into a total beast. :)

[quote name='Russ' timestamp='1462696620' post='3044893']
Revelation. They're well made and have much better pickups. The Revelation P I played recently had a real bark, sounded great.

I think the Revelations are the best low-cost instruments out there right now, plus you'll be supporting a British company! :)
[/quote]

Cheers Russ that's good to know. I want a cheapy but goody just to take down the pub for open mic jam nights (something that I don't mind anyone having a go of ;))
I'm kind of decided on taking a punt on the Revelation now just out of curiosity.

• 2 weeks later...

Those both look like decent basses, apart from - those bloody headstocks! What is wrong with bass manufacturers at the moment? Headstock design seems to be the last thing they think about. Those Sire Marcus Miller jobs would also be perfect if it wasn't for the dogs dinner on the end of the necks.

Well, I ended up buying the fretless Revelation RBP65, and fair do's it's bloody lovely! The bass came set up from Fretmusic.co.uk -£150 delivered. Sweet.
It's build quality is definitely above both the Vintage V4 and Squier Vintage Modified Precision I have owned. Everything works as it should. The Entwistle NPXN pickup is fantastic and the tone knob actually has an astonishing range, all tones usable.
It came strung with a really nice quality set of flats, .100 -.40 as far as I can tell. The weight is good at 8 1/2 lbs, perfect balance and very resonant when played acoustically.
For 150 notes, it's bloody silly really! Oh, and I actually really like the headstock too - a big raspberry to all the naysayers! 😝
It's nicely sculpted, I like that it's different.
The colour in person is more faded Fiesta red or coral/salmon pink than it looks in my photo.
I'll do a proper review after I've gigged it for a while, when the honeymoon is over.
But, upon first impressions, this Revelation is a beautiful bass. Good enough to be my number 1, let alone back up bass.

Not sure really, it's the only one I've ever seen.
I'm guessing they're Picato flats, as the two companies are not too far from each other in the South Wales valleys. I could be wrong though. They are very nice and thumpy, and for a smaller gauge string, the E sounds massive. In a good way.