Why become a member? ×

Micing a resonator Gtr.

NoirBass

Not a bass but, I was wonder If anyone could give me a few pointers. I'm playing a few duos with a great guitar player who has started using a lovely National resonator. We're struggling to get a nice tone, even volume and minimal feedback using a rode NT5, how can we improve the situation either via eq or is there a better mic we should buy?

The late Bob Brozman used an sm57. If you need to use a mic, a dynamic is a better bet. Either a Shure sm57 or a Beyerdynamic m201, as they're more resistant to feedback. The alternative is to fit a Fishman resonator pickup system.

Edited by zero9

[quote name='zero9' timestamp='1463264997' post='3050102']
The late Bob Brozman used an sm57. If you need to use a mic, a dynamic is a better bet. Either a Shure sm57 or a Beyerdynamic m201, as they're more resistant to feedback. The alternative is to fit a Fishman resonator pickup system.
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply, We'll try an SM57.

I was going to start a similar thread but hope you don't mind nipping in.
I got myself a lovely sounding accoustic guitar last weekend and recorded it with shure Sm57.Very good result. The mic was on axis pointing at the guitar opening hole about 20 cm away.
I since watched many you tube videos on recording accoustic. Here is one of them

https://youtu.be/F-_xkBoAuJw

I also look for amother reasonably priced mic for recording accoustic.