Why become a member? ×

Zoom B3 With an Android Phone

MrDaveTheBass

Is there a way of connecting a Zoom B3 via USB to an Android phone? I'd like to use the USB as a Aux-in so that I can play along with music files from my phone. (Samsung galaxy S3 Mini running Android ver 4.2.2).

I've had a trawl through t'interweb, but most of the information that I've found on Android USB is either vague or contradictory. I'm hoping that you knowledgeable lot might be able to point me in the right direction.

I assume that I'll need a USB OTG cable - does anyone have any recommendations as to which one to get? Also, does anyone have any experience of playing recorded music from an Android phone over USB? - What apps would you recommend?

Many Thanks,

Dave

Have you considered using the headphone socket on the phone and connecting that way?

A short cable with 3.5mm jacks either end wouldn't be very expensive and should do the trick. It's how I connect my iPod to my Zoom for playing to recordings.

Thanks Marvin, That's how I currently connect my phone to my Korg Pandora. My issue with the Zoom B3 is that it hasn't got a dedicated 3.5mm 'Aux-in' socket. How exactly are you connecting your iPod to your Zoom? (I suspect that I'm being very thick here and staring at something that's completely obvious). :blink:

[quote name='MrDaveTheBass' timestamp='1462798070' post='3045694']
Is there a way of connecting a Zoom B3 via USB to an Android phone? I'd like to use the USB as a Aux-in so that I can play along with music files from my phone. (Samsung galaxy S3 Mini running Android ver 4.2.2).

I've had a trawl through t'interweb, but most of the information that I've found on Android USB is either vague or contradictory. I'm hoping that you knowledgeable lot might be able to point me in the right direction.

I assume that I'll need a USB OTG cable - does anyone have any recommendations as to which one to get? Also, does anyone have any experience of playing recorded music from an Android phone over USB? - What apps would you recommend?

Many Thanks,

Dave
[/quote]

My hunch is that it's going to be a lot of work to get your phone to reroute its sound output through the B3's soundcard. Not necessarily impossible - looks like someones's done something vaguely similar here - http://www.head-fi.org/t/627459/use-a-standard-usb-dac-with-a-nexus-7-step-by-step-guide - but it looks like such a faff, I'd be inclined to find a simpler solution.

Where's your output from the B3 going? Could you use a tiny mixer to blend in the output from your phone?

If it's going straight to headphones, what about using some in-ear headphones for one source, and some over-ear headphones for the other?

It might work straight out of the box, Android does support USB audio devices but it varies from phone to phone. I'd bet that most standard phone ROMs would not support it. Any old male-micro-USB to female regular USB OTG cable should work, PM me your details and I can send you one I no longer need (new Nexus 5X has USB type C!).

If it doesn't work then it might do if you replace the ROM with a 3rd party one like Cyanogenmod. My old S3 (non mini) with a custom ROM worked with a USB sound card I tested anyhow! No special apps required, just plugged it in an all audio went to it.

Edited by dannybuoy

Thanks everyone for your replies - as I suspected, Android USB support looks more complicated than it should be. I didn't want to start faffing around too much with my phone, but was curious if a simple solution existed.

Danny, thank you very much for your kind offer of your old OTG cable - I've already ordered one off Amazon (for a bank-breaking 79p!) so I'll let you know if my phone works straight 'out-of-the box'. If not, it looks like a 3.5mm headphone splitter cable will be the simplest solution.

• 2 weeks later...