Why become a member? ×

Steve Harris P - Pick up differences between the two/three ?

Deedee

Hi all

I finally have a 2009 Steve Harris Precision winging its way to me. It had to be the blue one for me as that was the one I remember watching Steve play (and I couldn't bring myself to buy a bass with a club badge on it let alone a West Ham badge).

My question is, what are the main pros/cons between the pick up types used on the two models? I've read that the later pick up (SPB-4 ?) is a worthy upgrade for the mk1 models.

Edited by Deedee

I thought the mk1 model was the blue one with the purple scratch plate & the little round Eddie logo on the headstock? That came with a Quarter Pounder as standard as far as I can remember.

The SPB-4 is a great pickup & if you use it with a set of Rotosound flats you are immediately in Steve Harris territory.

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='Deedee' timestamp='1462828859' post='3046140']
It's certainly the blue one, but I thought they all had the chrome scratch plate, badass II bridge etc. I think you're right though, fitted with a SD Quarter Pounder
[/quote]

The chrome scratch plate model is a more recent one.

have a look at post #9 on this thread:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/60332-original-steve-harris-fender-p-bass-now-sold/

That's the original Steve Harris signature model.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1462830596' post='3046159']

The chrome scratch plate model is a more recent one.

have a look at post #9 on this thread:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/60332-original-steve-harris-fender-p-bass-now-sold/

That's the original Steve Harris signature model.
[/quote]

Ah! Every day's a school day. Oh well, they all look gorgeous to me and I do like a bit of weight to my basses.

What I'm really interested in are the differences in sound/tone between the QP, SPB-1and the SPB4

Edited by Deedee

I have the Steve Harris Sig. Pickup in my MIJ P bass and the sound is HUGE. It's a big, open clear bass tone. I also have the Steve Harris sig. Strings. They're heavy and take some getting used to but it is such a big and clear tone, can't think how else to describe it. I'm not a Steve Harris fan either, but I will be keeping the pickup and strings as long as possible.

I tried one of the new (Mark 111) Mex Harris Precisions a couple of months back.
The weight put me off, as did the unusually badly cut nut. 1st Mex I've ever tried with a nasty issue.

The pick up was astounding! Most tonal variation I've ever heard on a passive P pup. I've tried a few :blush:

I gigged with my West Ham harris the other day. It is currently strung with rounds and I needed to press the ultra hi switch on my PF-500 to get anywhere near the treble out of it, compared to my '73.
BUT, with the maple board and the ultra hi pressed, it sounded very Steve Harris

Well the bass has arrived and very nice it is too. Lovely chunky, fat neck, great balance and of course the blue sparkle and chrome scratch plate that I love. I've swapped the strings over to rounds as the flats that were on we're dead (the E was particularly lifeless).

The jury's still out on the SPB1 that's currently fitted as I've only played it through my practice amp. I think I'm possibly leaning towards a Fender '62 Custom Shop as I've heard such good things about them. I'll keep you posted ;-)

Edited by Deedee

I recently sold my SH sig (same as yours, a 2009 model) and I had retro fitted the SPB-4 (it had the SPB-1 as standard), I thought the SPB-4 was a MUCH better pickup, better balanced in the mids / highs (the SPB-1 sounds more scooped to my ears), but still very strong and articulate. My bass went to a lovely chap called Peter (username SH73 on here), perhaps drop him a line and see what he thinks, he's had it a while now and was also having the pickup dilemma......

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1463303125' post='3050232']
I recently sold my SH sig (same as yours, a 2009 model) and I had retro fitted the SPB-4 (it had the SPB-1 as standard), I thought the SPB-4 was a MUCH better pickup, better balanced in the mids / highs (the SPB-1 sounds more scooped to my ears), but still very strong and articulate. My bass went to a lovely chap called Peter (username SH73 on here), perhaps drop him a line and see what he thinks, he's had it a while now and was also having the pickup dilemma......
[/quote]

I'll do that, thanks

[quote name='Deedee' timestamp='1463302513' post='3050225']
The jury's still out on the SPB1 that's currently fitted as I've only played it through my practice amp. I think I'm possibly leaning towards a Fender '62 Custom Shop as I've heard such good things about them. I'll keep you posted ;-)
[/quote]

I found the SPB1 to be a little scooped. Nice sounding pickup but really had to push mids on it to get what I wanted, so sold it. My current fave is the 62 Custom Shop. Much better balance across the whole tone spectrum - imo of course.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1463309939' post='3050314']

I found the SPB1 to be a little scooped. Nice sounding pickup but really had to push mids on it to get what I wanted, so sold it. My current fave is the 62 Custom Shop. Much better balance across the whole tone spectrum - imo of course.
[/quote]

Cheers Lozz. I did love the pick up in the black 2010 that you had, so if these latest Custom Shop models are an improvement on those they should sound awesome.

[quote name='Deedee' timestamp='1463313008' post='3050349']
Cheers Lozz. I did love the pick up in the black 2010 that you had, so if these latest Custom Shop models are an improvement on those they should sound awesome.
[/quote]

Well to my ears the Custom Shops are a huge improvement, and I really liked the pickups in the 2010.

[quote name='Deedee' timestamp='1463302513' post='3050225']
I've swapped the strings over to rounds as the flats that were on we're dead (the E was particularly lifeless).
[/quote]

They weren't dead, that's what flats are like...

Seriously, flats are a big part of the Steve Harris sound - if you're still not happy with it try a new set of flats & it might make all the difference.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1463327047' post='3050494']

Seriously, flats are a big part of the Steve Harris sound - if you're still not happy with it try a new set of flats & it might make all the difference.
[/quote]

Haha, seriously they were dead. If Mr Harris himself had tried ringing off the intro to Hallowed Be Thy Name, it would've sounded like some kind of morse code! 😂

Just to clarify regarding the pickups, I'm not looking to try to 100% mimic the Steve Harris sound, in my opinion there are far too many variables (I.e. style, amps, etc) for anybody to do that and I gave up any aspirations of being in a Maiden tribute band a very long time ago. However, I've always liked the aesthetics and the feel of these basses - the necks in my opinion are awesome. I'm basically enquiring what others opinions are on making a very solid Fender P sound as good as it can - to my ears at least.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1463327047' post='3050494']

[/quote]

Slightly off topic but Steve changes his flats after every gig to keep sounding brightish. Which is a bit missing the point if you ask me with flats but hey ho, if you are getting them gratis then why not.

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1463430151' post='3051340']

Slightly off topic but Steve changes his flats after every gig to keep sounding brightish. Which is a bit missing the point if you ask me with flats but hey ho, if you are getting them gratis then why not.
[/quote]

That's a very good point 😂

Well I had the opportunity to crank up the volume and try the bass out at rehearsal last night and very nice it sounded too.

It gave that classic P tone perfectly, but did admittedly become a little lost in the mix. After a bit of amp tweaking things improved a lot and then finally by adding a bit of bite with my VT Bass pedal it sounded immense.

So, decisions, decisions. Do I stick with the current pickup combined with the pedal etc, or do I try an alternative pickup which may still need a bit of external assistance to cut through 🤔

Sod it - Custom Shop '62 pick up in its way 😀

Edited by Deedee

Well the Custom Shop pickup is in the SH Precision and first impressions are that it certainly does have a little more bite and tonal range than the SPB1 that was fitted previously.

I'll reserve judgement until I've tried it at gig volumes on Friday night but so far, I'm impressed :-)

[quote name='Deedee' timestamp='1464123132' post='3056805']
Well the Custom Shop pickup is in the SH Precision and first impressions are that it certainly does have a little more bite and tonal range than the SPB1 that was fitted previously.

I'll reserve judgement until I've tried it at gig volumes on Friday night but so far, I'm impressed :-)
[/quote]

Good stuff, will wait to hear your thoughts.

Post Gig Update!!!

Took the SH out for its first outing with its new Custom Shop pickup last night. All I can say is that I'm a very happy boy :-)

Played it through my Trace Hexavalve and the sound was clear, punchy with absolutely no issues cutting through. Unlike last weekend with the SPB1 pickup in, there was no need to employ the VT bass pedal. I just played it straight through the amp all night.

The best way I can describe the difference is that it still retains the distinctive Precision sound, but it's thicker, less scooped and very consistent across the range. Think of it as a P that you don't need to accept any compromises with.

The best compliment I can pay it is that during the gig when I swapped over to use my 3 band Stingray for a couple of songs, I had to add some boost to achieve the same consistent sound/volume across the strings that I'd had with the P.

All in all, a highly recommended mod 👍