Why become a member? ×

Which resistance jazz pup for bridge?

I've just acquired a used Squier Standard PJ four string with the Jazz neck, thing is the original Jazz style bridge pup has failed and there's an Aria unit in it's place but it seems a little quiet compared to the precision pups even when raised nearer to the strings. When both volumes are up it's even a smidge less. I've seen a couple of Wilkinsons on the 'bay, one's 7.5k and the other is 9k so which one would be best for balance with the original split precision pups?

The 9k one will have a slightly higher o/p, precisely trying to compensate for the weaker bridge position, so I'd say 9k. It's only a fair balance compared to its partner p/u, though, so there's no guarantee of its o/p compared to your current neck p/u. A resistance (or impedance') measure is not an exact way of establishing o/p, just a rough-and-ready guide.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1462831028' post='3046168']
The 9k one will have a slightly higher o/p, precisely trying to compensate for the weaker bridge position, so I'd say 9k. It's only a fair balance compared to its partner p/u, though, so there's no guarantee of its o/p compared to your current neck p/u. A resistance (or impedance') measure is not an exact way of establishing o/p, just a rough-and-ready guide.
[/quote]

By "o/p" do you mean output? :huh:

Worth double checking the actual dimensions of your bridge pick up as well. In other jazz basses I have had the bridge pickup is a little longer than the neck pick up to cater for the wider spread of the strings towards the bridge. In my Squier jazz though the bridge pickup is the same size as the neck one meaning if I wanted to replace pick ups I would either have to do a bit of additional routing or buy two 'neck' pickups.

Generally speaking the more turns the higher the impedance and the higher the output, but more turns also mean a higher inductance. This means that high frequencies will be reduced and the pup will sound darker (pup=pickup).

The no of turns isn't the only thing that affects output or tone though. The magnetic core also has an effect so this is an added variable. I realise that this muddies the water but you want a pup that both matches the output and sounds good. I'd find out as much as possible about your neck pup and then contact the pup manufacturers to see what they would recommend as matches to your existing pup.