Why become a member? ×

Garageband

FinnDave

I recently bought a MacBook pro, and it comes with GarageBand installed. So far, I have not able to do anything with it! I tried recording a rehearsal using the same program on my phone, but nothing came out, recorded another session with my Yamaha Pocket tracks, managed to get it onto the Mac, but can only listen to it using iTunes, GarageBand won't import it for editing.

Now I am trying to use GB to record my synth (Korg MS-20 mini). There is no audio input jack to the macbook, so I am using the USB out from the synth into the computer, and downloaded the relevant driver, and still nothing. Short of using the mac's built in mic and recording the sound from an amp, what can this software actually do? Is it in fact a pile of junk, in which case, what would be the best recording program to get on my mac?

I think you need a proper usb interface...

I have a mac book and bought one of these.

Alesis core 1.

There are probably better options out there but this is tiny and i just plugged it in and it instantly worked with garageband, for both line in and also the headphone out.

Cost about £40 I think.

You need some kind of interface & a microphone.
You will need these regardless of what recording software you use.
Garage band is actually very good.

You also shouldn't need any drivers to use the USB interface from your synth. You're probably just not selecting the correct input path in Garageband.

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1462880601' post='3046519']
I use a Line 6 guitar port and podfarm.
Works great for me.
Although i am having trouble connecting speakers, i have a feeling that's because my headphone port is damaged.
[/quote]

There should be some kind of monitor out on the Line 6 interface - use that for your speakers, not the headphone input/output.

I shall now invoke another infallible law of Basschat, having ordered an [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Alesis core 1 there will now be an avalanche of posts telling me what a load of carp it is![/font][/color]

You probably would have been better off having a look at your options first to be honest. That Alesis interface should be OK though so long as you don't want to record with more than one mic/track at a time.
Focusrite do some really good starter packages with interface, mic, leads etc. that are really good value.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1462883485' post='3046580']
I shall now invoke another infallible law of Basschat, having ordered an [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Alesis core 1 there will now be an avalanche of posts telling me what a load of carp it is![/font][/color]
[/quote]

I have one and it works fine with garageband on the macbook :)

When you boot up garageband it asks you which device you want to use for recording and playback and the core 1 becomes the default device.

I'm sure there are a plethora of other options, I'm no expert, but I'm using the core 1 for the exact same purpose you want it for and it works for me :)

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1462884018' post='3046596']
I have one and it works fine with garageband on the macbook :)

When you boot up garageband it asks you which device you want to use for recording and playback and the core 1 becomes the default device.

I'm sure there are a plethora of other options, I'm no expert, but I'm using the core 1 for the exact same purpose you want it for and it works for me :)
[/quote]

That's good enough for me!

I bought one of these when I got my Mac, fairly expensive but pretty good quality, we do a lot of demo's using it with Garageband or Logic Pro.
One to consider if you plan on recording 1 or 2 instruments at a time.

[url="http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/one"]http://www.apogeedig...om/products/one[/url]