Why become a member? ×

Light and loud options?

PaulFenderJazz

Where you turn your gain/volume knobs to on different amps is completely irrelevant. Some amps run out of power at 3/10, some amps keep getting louder to 9/10. Just depends on how the gain stages are configured.

And as soon as you change the player and the instrument, the point that an amp will run out of power changes - you're not just plugging in a CD player where everything is mastered to 0dB peaks.

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1463054872' post='3048120']
Where you turn your gain/volume knobs to on different amps is completely irrelevant. Some amps run out of power at 3/10, some amps keep getting louder to 9/10. Just depends on how the gain stages are configured.

And as soon as you change the player and the instrument, the point that an amp will run out of power changes - you're not just plugging in a CD player where everything is mastered to 0dB peaks.
[/quote]quite so, I always turn the gain up to full ( I use a passive Precision), the Rumble runs out of steam at about 1 o clock on the master volume, I've not reached that stage with the Trace Elliot yet :)

Edited by PaulWarning

Hi everyone: sorry this is my first reply to all your advice; it's not that I don't appreciate it, I've just been trying to absorb it and add to my own research. Currently veering towards a MB CMD121 and adding another 12" extension (Ashdown or Eden?) to give me a couple of easy to transport pieces of kit while still accessing the full 500w of the amp. Feels like 12"ers could be a good middle road and could complement my Jazz's mid tones. I'll post what I go for and report back on how it sounds!

[quote name='PaulFenderJazz' timestamp='1463240569' post='3049877']
Hi everyone: sorry this is my first reply to all your advice; it's not that I don't appreciate it, I've just been trying to absorb it and add to my own research. Currently veering towards a MB CMD121 and adding another 12" extension (Ashdown or Eden?) to give me a couple of easy to transport pieces of kit while still accessing the full 500w of the amp. Feels like 12"ers could be a good middle road and could complement my Jazz's mid tones. I'll post what I go for and report back on how it sounds!
[/quote]

if you want a good 12" extension for the MB combo, the TKS S112 works VERY well with it. There's at least one for sale right now in the forum. It transforms the small punchy combo into a beast. The S112 is only about 10Kg too.

[quote name='PaulFenderJazz' timestamp='1463292830' post='3050151']
Anyone used a 12 plus 15 combination? I just saw a MB Traveler 151 at a reasonable price, thought it might make a good partner to the CMD 121P?...
[/quote]

I haven't tried that one. I tried the MB combo with a Barefaced Compact (G2, 15"), which was a pretty powerful combination but I didn't think it was a good pairing, tonally. However the Traveler 151 is probably quite different from the Compact... so... sorry for the very unhelpful post :lol:

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1463320371' post='3050406']

I haven't tried that one. I tried the MB combo with a Barefaced Compact (G2, 15"), which was a pretty powerful combination but I didn't think it was a good pairing, tonally. However the Traveler 151 is probably quite different from the Compact... so... sorry for the very unhelpful post :lol:
[/quote]
Actually it is helpful as it's helped clarify my thinking. I've ordered the CMD121p plus NY121 as they're designed to go together, now we will see what the sound is like!

[quote name='PaulFenderJazz' timestamp='1463403728' post='3051040']
Actually it is helpful as it's helped clarify my thinking. I've ordered the CMD121p plus NY121 as they're designed to go together, now we will see what the sound is like!
[/quote]

That's a sweet combination, for my taste :)

I found theese two
http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Hartke-112C-Hydrive-Bass-Combo-Amp/9VX
https://gb.muzyczny.pl/162028_Phil-Jones-Bass-Bass-CUB-BG100-BK-bass-combo.html
There was louder amps, but also bigger, so i choose bit smaller models.

[quote name='blank20' timestamp='1463531785' post='3052143']
I found theese two
http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Hartke-112C-Hydrive-Bass-Combo-Amp/9VX
https://gb.muzyczny.pl/162028_Phil-Jones-Bass-Bass-CUB-BG100-BK-bass-combo.html
There was louder amps, but also bigger, so i choose bit smaller models.
[/quote]

Very nice: if they can take extensions then you can always add another cab anyway for more noise!

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1463320371' post='3050406']
I tried the MB combo with a Barefaced Compact (G2, 15"), which was a pretty powerful combination but I didn't think it was a good pairing, tonally.
[/quote]
IMO the better option would have been to take the amp out of the MB combo and use it separately with the Compact.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1463821444' post='3054266']
IMO the better option would have been to take the amp out of the MB combo and use it separately with the Compact.
[/quote]

Which is why I ended with a LM3 head after a while... :)

I wish the head in the combo was a simple loosening of two screws, slide in/out affair. But I guess their current conficuration works for Markbass: I bought both the combo and the head, separately :rolleyes: :lol:

[quote name='PaulFenderJazz' timestamp='1463403728' post='3051040']

[/quote]

Nice combination. My set up is a LMII head plus a Traveler 2x10 and 1x15 and I love the sound. Never run out of oomph even on pretty noisy back line only gigs. Can't wait to hear your gigging review of your two.

Oh yeah, and of course it goes without saying... Blah blah blah no pictures and it never happened blah blah blah...!

Edited by TrevorR

Combo and can arrived last week: Markbass CMD121p plus NY121. I'm really pleased with the tone (coupled to a US std Jazz). Bunged em on the back seat of my micro sized car and easily carted em upstairs to. The practice room yesterday. Great tone again and cut thru 2guitars and a drummer at practice, even with volume and gain at around 9-10 o'clock each. First gig is an outdoors one this Sunday so I can report back after that. Certainly initial impression is V good