Why become a member? ×

Ernie Ball Cobalt flats - the flats for those who don't necessarily want flats

mcnach

[quote name='matski' timestamp='1463045007' post='3047996']
Do these cobalts 'go off' over time?
[/quote]

They do lose their 'zing' after a while, but I'm not sure that they go off any quicker than another type of string. Straight out of the packet they sound like played in rounds, and my first set continued to sound like that for a good couple of months.

Sorry to be a bit vague, but I joined a second band just after I put the Cobalts on and was playing a lot more than usual, and so can't really tell how long they lasted compared to a regular set of Ernie Ball Slinky Rounds.

String-life unfortunately, is really one of those YMMV things - or 'how bright is a piece of string' ;-)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1463042775' post='3047972']

I did. I didn't find them that different from their standard flats, to be honest. Yeah they were a bit brighter, but not incredibly so. What put me off straight away was that the E string was dull dull dull... I contacted Status to see if it was normal or maybe I got a bad batch and they were not interested. So I lost interest in Status strings ever since.

The Cobalts are a lot brighter, and less flatwound-like than the halfrounds, for sure.
[/quote]

Interesting. I used to love Status halfwounds. But the last set I bought were way too bright! It was also strange that they came all together in the packet instead of each one in its own paper envelope. And the gauge was just written on the front in Biro, not printed.

I think Status may have some quality control issues! I did consider contacting them, but from what you've said I wouldn't have got very far.

So my search for the perfect strings resumes. From what's been said in this thread, I think the Cobalts would be too bright for me. :-(

Sorry another off topic point here also about status strings- not half rounds in this case, but I had a set of rounds replaced 3 times due to a dead e string. Perseverance was required for the replacements!

[quote name='Dazed' timestamp='1463234031' post='3049796']
Sorry another off topic point here also about status strings- not half rounds in this case, but I had a set of rounds replaced 3 times due to a dead e string. Perseverance was required for the replacements!
[/quote]

it's a pity because I kind of like the company and the strings that worked were nice. My set of flats was spot on and were very good for that 'old school' Precision tone... but it seems that they're probably a small operation for the amount of emails they get and they just don't manage. I hope the issues were a temporary hiccups.

[quote name='matski' timestamp='1463045007' post='3047996']
Do these cobalts 'go off' over time?
[/quote]

I imagine they would, eventually... but very slowly like other flats. Strings tend to go off largely from gunk getting into the grooves. Roundwounds suffer the most and become duller faster. Flats, not so much. So I don't expect the sound to change much over the next few months. We'll see!

On the back of this positivity for the eb cobalts ive commited to giving them a whirl.

I bought a new (76) jazz bass which im itching to set up so new strings are a must!
Even went out and bout some new imperial allen keys today :)

Im easily pleased.

[quote name='Wonky2' timestamp='1463594154' post='3052717']
On the back of this positivity for the eb cobalts ive commited to giving them a whirl.

I bought a new (76) jazz bass which im itching to set up so new strings are a must!
Even went out and bout some new imperial allen keys today :)

Im easily pleased.
[/quote]

let us know what you think!

I'm really liking them on the ATK.

Did the silly thing of setting up a new ( to me) bass with strings ive never used and also dropped fro
My usual 105/45 set to 100/45, an change ive been itching to make for a while.....

Anyhoo, set the bass up well but wasnt sure if some of the zing was the strings or fret buzz ( it was a close call a difficult to work out)
In thr end i got it right.

First impression was that the strings seemed to have an almost tacky/ sticky feel to them which i didn't like, but after 20 mins of playing it seemed to go away...
Other than that, exactly how others have described them, like flats with a bit more zing. They seem to lack a little of the thump im used to but thats not bad, just different.

I like them :)

Finally got round to using these on Friday, after just a wee bit of silk trimming to allow use on a 35" scale.
As said above, initially a bit grabby on your fingers, but that soon disappeared. Sounded good, not quite like a roundwound, but a bit brighter than a new set of halfrounds for my ears.

Just put a set on my p bass, like other people have said initially the strings were a bit sticky but this soon went away.
I went from 45/105 rotosound to 40/90 flats. I didn't need to adjust my bass at all and the new strings are a lot brighter. Another happy customer.

You know what.... Ive spent tonight playing these strings in an ive gotta say i think im deffo converted, they are a very playable set of strings indeed, tension is just perfect, feel is great and the tone , for me... Bridge pup on jazz with a touch of tone rolled off, just awesome.
Ive used d'addario flats for a good while, but these are just a bit ....??? Cleaner sounding ? Like flats with more presence ???

Dont be put off by the sticky feel, that went pretty quick.

• 5 weeks later...

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1463358877' post='3050768']
I imagine they would, eventually... but very slowly like other flats. Strings tend to go off largely from gunk getting into the grooves. Roundwounds suffer the most and become duller faster. Flats, not so much. So I don't expect the sound to change much over the next few months. We'll see!
[/quote]

They also lose their elasticity over time. If you're constantly tuning up and tuning down again, they won't last as long.

• 3 weeks later...

Felt the need to resurrect this post a bit. I had these strings on my bass for around 6 weeks, bearing in mind I alternate between two basses and always look after my strings.
So I'm fine tuning today and the D string snaps for no reason, pretty poor in my eyes for expensive strings. I've mailed Eb let's see what they say. It's a shame really because they are nice strings to play.

Going on this subject, and sorry to introduce another maker here, there's another way to get both worlds of round and flat wound. D'Addario makes a set of half-rounds, they give the feel of flats and keep the zing of rounds too. I got those for a fretless i had because i like the zing but didn't want to scratch the fretboard. Woked really well. I'm guessing other makers will do this kind of strings also.

[quote name='sellisnba' timestamp='1468594444' post='3092040']
Felt the need to resurrect this post a bit. I had these strings on my bass for around 6 weeks, bearing in mind I alternate between two basses and always look after my strings.
So I'm fine tuning today and the D string snaps for no reason, pretty poor in my eyes for expensive strings. I've mailed Eb let's see what they say. It's a shame really because they are nice strings to play.
[/quote]

that's very disappointing!

hopefully that is an exception, as I want my strings to last substantially longer than that (mine have been on for just over two months... fingers crossed)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1468632755' post='3092323']

that's very disappointing!

hopefully that is an exception, as I want my strings to last substantially longer than that (mine have been on for just over two months... fingers crossed)
[/quote]

*sound of D string snapping in the distance*

I've had mine on my fretless Stingray for over 18 months - no tuning issues or negative issues at all. In fact I thought they had 'bedded in' as they had aged - they certainly lost the initial sticky feeling, so much so that they are, feel wise, on a par with the TIs I have on another bass.

Regarding snapping strings, I have found with strings with a design with silk wraps at each end, taking a set on and off a bass can be problematic as they can break in the silk wrapped area - i have had this with Rotosound swing 66.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1468651160' post='3092338']
I've had mine on my fretless Stingray for over 18 months - no tuning issues or negative issues at all. In fact I thought they had 'bedded in' as they had aged - they certainly lost the initial sticky feeling, so much so that they are, feel wise, on a par with the TIs I have on another bass.

Regarding snapping strings, I have found with strings with a design with silk wraps at each end, taking a set on and off a bass can be problematic as they can break in the silk wrapped area when you refit them - i have had this with Rotosound swing 66.
[/quote]

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1463358877' post='3050768']
I don't expect the sound to change much over the next few months. We'll see!
[/quote]

So, a couple of months later ... how do the Cobalts sound and feel?

[quote name='Fionn' timestamp='1469176911' post='3096293']
So, a couple of months later ... how do the Cobalts sound and feel?
[/quote]For me, pretty much the same. The next time I need to change the strings on my Ric, I think I might put them on that too.