Why become a member? ×

Old school or stick with.

Joebethell

So I think (finally) I have solved my Bass GAS and I'm happy but this new found joy is making me think more and more about my amp.

A year to 18months ago I downsized my gear to a single cab and head Orange Bass Terror 1000 and OBC 212 a cracking setup small and compact but still loud in a band situation.

Now I have moved house and areas so not playing in a band yet so my thinking is its the ideal time to fine the elusive ultimate rig.

Old school with a nice cab but full valve not hybrid as I really miss my old valve amps (VBA400 and Mesa D180 have both been owned in the past) so what should I be looking for or should I just stick with the compact setup?

I am in no position to comment on lightweight quality set ups or small rigs so can't advise against or for one. Personally I just played through different cabs and amps then bought the ones which created the sound(s) I had in my head. I wasn't bothered if it weighed 1kg or 50kg, 1x10 or 8x10 although this may change in future when I'm older but I'm in my early 40's now and still not knackered yet :-)!

Unless you have an injury, storage issues or problem lifting then I'd advise to buy whatever amp & cab your ears (then eyes) fall in love with. There are some cracking deals in the marketplace at the moment to choose from, I wish I had some money myself! Ha ha!

Edited by jimbartlett

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1463003856' post='3047834']
This Amazing rig...and it looks like the rig that the house band in heaven uses:
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/284748-matamp-gt-200-mk1-mint/page__pid__3047596#entry3047596
[/quote]. love this but it's out my price range but if I had the money!

[quote name='Joebethell' timestamp='1463031239' post='3047887']
. love this but it's out my price range but if I had the money!
[/quote]

You only need enough money to buy a sawn off shotgun and a balaclava..... and for that rig I'd almost seriously consider a bank job!

As far as small set-ups go I don't think you can beat your current rig if that's the tone you like but if you want to go bigger, there's a whole world of awesome options available to you.

That Matamp is a thing of beauty - they make the best tube amps IMO, it's just the cost that's a little inhibitive (and that cab is too big for me). You can get the Orange version (debatably not quite as nice/high spec but still very good) for 7-800 used so they're a little more affordable. Then of course you'll be wanting a bigger cab - I like 2x12's as a good compromise between size & weight.

I've not played through a Treynor amp but there's one of those in the classifieds going for what looks like a good price - no idea what they sound like though but it could be worth a look.

[quote name='Bolo' timestamp='1463049303' post='3048047']
You could add a 212 for extra boom, and/or look at the orange tube amp, if that's the sound you like.
Personally I wouldn't dismiss the entire team as it's winning!
[/quote] I have thought about this but the 212 is great but still quite heavy so if I get another I could prob get a 4x10 as a single option instead. Plus they are still 500pounds ish new.

[quote name='Joebethell' timestamp='1463052961' post='3048088']
I have thought about this but the 212 is great but still quite heavy so if I get another I could prob get a 4x10 as a single option instead. Plus they are still 500pounds ish new.
[/quote]

I'd be tempted to keep the Terror. Brilliant amps. I will own another one day. If it were me I'd swap the 212 for the new barefaced 4x10 and be happy. Slightly lighter than your current cab (especially with the cloth grill).

• 2 weeks later...

You say you've cured your gas and yet you still want to buy more gear! I'd say you're bored.

Have some lessons instead.

IMO there's no point in having an ultimate rig if it's just sitting in the back room. You need to find yourself a band first.

I'm in the process of finding a band with moving to a new area finding one is not proving easy but as I learn when and where things are locally I should get sorted.
As for GAS I have settled with my bass I find it incredibly pleasing to play and find myself just picking it up whenever I pass the room it's kept in even if I'm in a rush. As for the Amp I have traded (no cash spent) for something that took my fancy and without a big outlay I should have sold and ordered a cab also.
Bored or decisive either way when I find a new band the drummer will have no problem hearing me!

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1463941536' post='3055201']
I have not moved far in the last 40 years but I know guys who have and they all had an uphill struggle to penetrate the local music "mafia". Good luck.
[/quote]

:lol: it is hard breaking back in as well... if you became unavailable.
People don't give up good gigs often.

It's true and it's hard to find like minded people sometimes. Although I would be pretty happy to play anything really but a good dose of dark dirty blues rock would hit the spot right now BRMC style to name one of the many.