Why become a member? ×

Spector legend neck-thru?

Guinness21

I might be joining a band who play everything in drop-c, so was thinking about buying a five string so I could keep my stingray in standard tuning. Anyone own or tried one of these? Looked around on talkbass but there doesn't seem to be much talk about them. Seems like a quality bass for the money, I'm intrigued by the Aguilar pickups and pre.

I've not played one of those but I had Legend sixer when I first came back to the bass a couple of years back and it was excellent... not just excellent for the money but actually excellent.

Something looks a bit odd about those to me though... The fancy top looks too small for the body, like it shrank in the wash at the bridge end :blink:

Edited by CamdenRob

I'm a Spector player myself and I have to say that their instruments represent a very good quality in each price segment.
I have yet to try their new Legend NT basses but from what I've heard they are very good.
I have had a Korean Spector from before the Legend series and it was stupidly good bass (neck through) Only sold because I needed a five string bass at the time.

I think they sound good and Spectors have excellent ergonomics, too.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1463055103' post='3048126']
How is a five string going to help with drop C?
As for the bass, never played one of these but it's a Spector, it will be superb.
[/quote]

Well drop C is such a drop in tuning that I would have to put heavier gauge strings on my stingray, whereas with a fiver I could tune it to [color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]CGCFA or something along those lines.[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Seems to be the same here then, people are recommending Spector basses and the Legend series, but nobody's played one of these neck thru's :mellow:[/font][/color]

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1463056503' post='3048147']

Well drop C is such a drop in tuning that I would have to put heavier gauge strings on my stingray, whereas with a fiver I could tune it to [color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]CGCFA or something along those lines.[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana,
geneva, lucida,]Seems to be the same here then, people are recommending Spector basses and the Legend series, but nobody's played one of these neck thru's :mellow:[/font][/color]
[/quote]
You wouldn't need to re-tune a 5 string to get the low C as the bottom string is a low B.

I did also have a Korean made NS94 neck through some years ago which was/is a superb bass with plenty of sustain fitted with SD pickups. Still regret letting it go but I needed a passive bass at the time.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1463063494' post='3048231']
I've just noticed that the strap pin isn't in the middle of the neck but on the top half of the body. Is this the case with all Spectors?
[/quote]

yes, pretty much it is. I love this feature, helps a lot with the balance.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1463052297' post='3048082']
Something looks a bit odd about those to me though... The fancy top looks too small for the body, like it shrank in the wash at the bridge end :blink:
[/quote]

I think the blue one looks nicer...
http://www.spectorbass.com/legend4neckthru

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1463056503' post='3048147']

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Seems to be the same here then, people are recommending Spector basses and the Legend series, but nobody's played one of these neck thru's :mellow:[/font][/color]
[/quote]

I see... A mate of mine used to play a Warwick Thumb tuned up a semitone. It works but can a bit tight.
I would go for the 4 string and drop tune - drop-tuned Spectors are utterly brutal!

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1463051695' post='3048078']
I'm intrigued by the Aguilar pickups and pre.
[/quote]

I had the Ag OPB2 on my Forte 5 before it was changed to the OPB3. I have to say it was a very nice pre. I'd say even and balanced with a smooth core-tone. There's more to the OPB3, but TBH it has so much bass, I doubt you'd ever use the full spectrum. I'd wager the Aggie pre and pups sound pretty sweet.

[quote name='naxos10' timestamp='1463069963' post='3048333']
I did also have a Korean made NS94 neck through some years ago which was/is a superb bass with plenty of sustain fitted with SD pickups. Still regret letting it go but I needed a passive bass at the time.
[/quote]I used to have an SSD NS-94 - superb basses.

[quote name='naxos10' timestamp='1463053014' post='3048089']
I have the older 5 string Legend with bolted neck. They are excellent guitars although I am thinking of selling mine soon as I just don't use it.
[/quote]
I like those a lot. I prefer them to the neck-thru as the bolt-ons I played were lighter and sounded just as good.