Why become a member? ×

Practise gear.

nicsim

Hello all!
This is my first post on Bass chat. I've been digging around on various bass topics on the web and decided to be pro-active and actually put my hand in the air and ask a question or two. :) After deciding to dig out my old Aria XRB series from its [s]coffin[/s] case, and maybe get back into the habit after "a good few" years of not playing (either privately or in a band), I'm wondering what the cheapest/easiest way to setup a practise rig is these days.

Bear in mind, it used to be a case of putting the stereo on quietly and playing along to tapes with my amp down low if my parents were about! :D, (and everything full whack when they weren't!).

So 20 or so years later with most of my music collection in mp3 format and accesible via laptop. I'm wondering what's the best way to rig the bass through the laptop (and also maybe incorporate a Zoom bass effects unit) so I can play along using headphones and not disturb the mrs/kids while I try and get back in the swing of it - just for fun for now.

Hopefully someone can recommend if I need some kind of USB-type thingy and/or software to adapt the bass input for the PC.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by nicsim

Welcome to BC and glad to hear of your return to the bass fold... :)

Other more knowledgeable suggestions will follow, but the zoom B1on is very reasonably priced, has an aux in (for playing along to your mp3s) and a headphone out... so you may not need to run everything through the PC at all :) .

I have a Tascam GB10, that I use for playalongs and I think it's great. It's small, batteries last for ages (an adapter is available separately), and it's simple. Plug the bass in, plug the headphones in, and go. You just connect it to the PC to upload or remove MP3 files. Probably the most useful feature is the ability to change the pitch of songs at the touch of a button without changing the speed, it's great not having to retune for different songs. Conversely, you can slow a song down without changing the pitch, and you can loop sections of songs too. If I'm being picky, the sound quality isn't brilliant, but it's decent. It also has a few effects (which I've never used so can't rate), a metronome, a tuner and It'll do simple overdubs. It's a great little tool IMO, I've had my money's worth out of it.

A Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 USB interface & "Reaper" free-software would be my first suggestion.

2nd would be a pre-amp/DI pedal that has aux in & headphones out - I love my DHA one & it's very useful for recording & live too.

I'd second the DHA preamp/DI, but at nearly £170 it's a lot to pay for something that you're just going to use at the kitchen table. The Zoom is a much more wallet friendly solution, got lots of effects to [s]play about with[/s] experiment creatively with too...

Edited by paul_5

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1463065784' post='3048264']
Welcome to BC and glad to hear of your return to the bass fold... :)

Other more knowledgeable suggestions will follow, but the zoom B1on is very reasonably priced, has an aux in (for playing along to your mp3s) and a headphone out... so you may not need to run everything through the PC at all :) .
[/quote]

Wot he says. Cheap and good. Just get a Zoom charger at the same time, about £12.

Thanks to everyone who's replied - much appreciated - it's why I love forums like this. I actually bought a Zoom B1 a few years ago - so that seems to be a good place to start. I'll [s]play about[/s] experiment with it and see how I get on. I also like the sound of the GB10 as well - although I looked on ebay and there's some software ("Song Surgeon") that claims to be cheaper and more feature rich.

One for another day maybe....

As software goes, Audacity will do it, and I think that's free. I could plug my Zoom B3 into my laptop and do it that way, but I like the simplicity of the Tascam. It lives in my bass case and goes wherever I go.

[quote name='NickD' timestamp='1463082037' post='3048488']
As software goes, Audacity will do it, and I think that's free.
[/quote]
This. you can get it [url="http://www.audacityteam.org/"]off their website for free[/url]. I have a few DAWs, but for simply recording something plugged into my PC i tend to go for audacity.

What's the phrase, good enough for the noodle comp? =P

I use a zoom b2 into a little MP3 amp off amazon "aroma" Has small speaker too so I can play along in a quiet room at OM nights

If you have an iPhone or iPad then tonestack app is worth a look too

Edited by Geek99

• 7 months later...

Just an update - I dropped on a used Tascam GB10 on ebay a couple of weeks ago. Onlly a few months old, but saved about 40 quid on new.

Used it a couple of times and love it. Simple to use - still working out the best settings to use between it and the bass for best results, but it's a great way to re-learn some of the stuff I used to know. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?&app=forums&module=extras&section=legends#"]:i-m_so_happy:[/url]

[quote name='nicsim' timestamp='1484658974' post='3217226']
Just an update - I dropped on a used Tascam GB10 on ebay a couple of weeks ago. Onlly a few months old, but saved about 40 quid on new.

Used it a couple of times and love it. Simple to use - still working out the best settings to use between it and the bass for best results, but it's a great way to re-learn some of the stuff I used to know. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?&app=forums&module=extras&section=legends#"] :i-m_so_happy:[/url]
[/quote]
Great piece of kit that. I've got one. you can slow-down or change the key as well. Belated welcome to BC too.

Good luck with the practice