Why become a member? ×

New Rig Day: GK and Vanderkley Content...

Kev

A little delayed, but in an effort to get myself back on the gigging scene I have bought myself a little high quality rig second hand for good prices that hopefully will serve me well. GK Fusion 500 and a Vanderkley 112MNT. GK is putting out ~300w at 8ohms when cranked, however the Vanderkley as a pretty impressive 600w handling so will take whatever the GK, or most amps for that matter, throws at it.

Initial thoughts are they are rather good together. Yet to use them in anger but the GK is surprisingly flexible, with all the GK growl there if you want it but plenty of other options available. The switchable second gain is really useful and, providing you don't push them too far, the valves break up real nice. The cab is really, really nice. Build quality is top notch, very detailed sound, tweeter is wonderfully musical and the colour appears to be very neutral, both basses and the Darkglass stuff sound very smooth through it indeed. Of course, yet to use either in anger yet, but I always have high hopes that an Amp and Cab that sound good at lower volumes will kill when cranked :)

Family shot:

Currently GAS free on all front, but we'll see how that lasts!

Edited by Kev

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1463125426' post='3048748']
It must be your gear that I was eyeing up on Instagram! All of it looks great. I just got a VdK 212. It's a very impressive cab.
[/quote]
I can't wait to turn up the volume and see what it can do. Gigged with the 212 yet?

I need another GK MB500 Fusion in my life. The mid-EQ facilites on that amp are second to none. It can do all the G-K stuff of course, but as you're finding it can do a lot more besides, including a rather good large-valve-amp impersonation. Huge, huge sound.

Oh kev, this is not helping me save up for my holiday.

Ive been looking at Vanderkley to replace my BF BB2, and im also using a GK head (although mine is a MB800). I dont think ive seen many posts about the small GK heads and these cabs. Ill keep an eye on this thread and see how you get on.

Oh, and i didnt need to see "that" pedal either ;-)

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1463134618' post='3048842']
Oh kev, this is not helping me save up for my holiday.

Ive been looking at Vanderkley to replace my BF BB2, and im also using a GK head (although mine is a MB800). I dont think ive seen many posts about the small GK heads and these cabs. Ill keep an eye on this thread and see how you get on.

Oh, and i didnt need to see "that" pedal either ;-)
[/quote]

Its a great cab... ;)

I'm still not 100% on keeping the pedal bud, but I promise I will let you know!

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1463139580' post='3048911']
Nice one Kev - cracking set up you have there :)
[/quote]

Cheers bud!

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the mini rig:- Just back from band practice with a fairly loud metal band and this setup with my Dingwall absolutely KILLED. The cab pushes some serious air, very very nice sound and happily for me sounds superb with the Darkglass gear. No problem with volume at all, tons of power left in the bag too. Really impressed with the Vanderkley though, great cab :)