Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Superfly 1000

jay42

Hi folks

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever tried the 1000W version of the Superfly and if so, what is it like in terms of performance? I know the 500W version is somewhat underpowered unless used with 2 4 Ohm cabs.

Also does anyone know of or has any for sale?

Jay

[quote name='BassBod' timestamp='1463145392' post='3049010']
No idea...but I've recent;y got a Retroglide 800 and its luverly....in a 1984 way...
[/quote]

You need to do a NAD thread! I'm very interested to hear what these are like, as are a fair few others :)

I think that the main issue that you are going to have is getting hold of a genuine Superfly 1000, I don't think they were actually officially released, about 30 were apparently supplied to Ashdown by the factory and some went to sounds live but they are identical to the 500w versions, I think that you have to check the serial number with Ashdown to get confirmation that it's a 1000w version.

I had one of the 500w versions and the preamp was fantastic, unfortunately the power amp sections on the 500w versions weren't that great, I got a serious squeal very early on form one of the outputs and about 6 months later the other output started to go the same way, I gave it away in the end to someone who just needed a preamp for recording.

this is the thread I found on TB where I got some of my info. I believe that Ashdown have a rep who is a member on here, hopefully he'll be able to fill in any blanks or correct me if I'm wrong.

if I were looking for an Ashdown then the Retroglide looks like the top option.

Matt

Edited by Matt P

I had one. They are distinguishable from the 500 as the Superfly has no fan but the Superduperfly does. It also stays far cooler than the 500 for the same volume. I took mine (both the 500 and the 1000) out of the aluminium casings, made them lighter and easier to put in a small case. Great preamp and editor software.

I have a superfly 500 and superfly 48 cab. Together they sound great, nice and punchy. The 48 cab states 2 separate inputs of 4 ohms and 500 watts EACH. However the only information on the cab I can find online are that it is a 500watt cab. Does anyone know for sure whether the cabinet can handle 2x500 watts , I`m reluctant to try.............boom ! Why would I want to do that ,you may ask. Well I like the sound of the cab but the superfly amp is reported to be unreliable( mine is great , at the moment) and I have a Kustom 1300HD which will deliver into 2 ohms( superfly48 cab 2x4ohms = 2 ohms in parallel ) and I could use this as a spare without worry of blowing the speakers back to Italy.
Hoping somebody knows.
Paul

• 4 weeks later...

I have an actual Superfly 1000. As stated above, it does indeed have a fan. I am aware that the 500 watt version was prone to overheating which is why Ashdown intended to remedy the problem for the range with the addition of said fan and an increase in power. The preamp is great and it's a really punchy and versatile head. No reliability issues and it's just as quiet/noisy as the ABM heads and combos I've dealt with (e.g. not that bad but that "characteristic" Ashdown hiss is there). It's certainly not twice as loud as the 500w version BUT you can drive a single 8 ohm cab off one of the outputs with the same might as an ABM 500.

I've not seen another Superfly 1000 version about so it's quite possible that less than 30 were indeed produced.

I would love to know if there are other Superfly 1000 owners in this parish. I'm feeling lonely. :)

- Andy

Edited by denki109
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 17/06/2016 at 14:14, denki109 said:

I have an actual Superfly 1000. As stated above, it does indeed have a fan. I am aware that the 500 watt version was prone to overheating which is why Ashdown intended to remedy the problem for the range with the addition of said fan and an increase in power. The preamp is great and it's a really punchy and versatile head. No reliability issues and it's just as quiet/noisy as the ABM heads and combos I've dealt with (e.g. not that bad but that "characteristic" Ashdown hiss is there). It's certainly not twice as loud as the 500w version BUT you can drive a single 8 ohm cab off one of the outputs with the same might as an ABM 500.

I've not seen another Superfly 1000 version about so it's quite possible that less than 30 were indeed produced.

I would love to know if there are other Superfly 1000 owners in this parish. I'm feeling lonely. :)

- Andy

Sorry its taken so long to reply. I have tried the Kustom hd1300 with it now and boy its loud. I have since purchased an Ampeg SVT 5 pro and that is the nuts. I do tend to keep the master volume down  to 75%,when using the Superfly 4x8 cab just in case. More than enough power for smaller gigs and so portable. I think I have seen a Superfly 1000 for sale last year on Ebay, apart from that yours is the only other one. Almost started thinking it was a myth. My Superfly 500 amp is still working great. Used at least twice a month for three hours plus, on constantly. Paul