Why become a member? ×

First 5-string. Experience/advice from owners?

nicsim

OK. Next question (after my "Practise gear" one).

Maybe getting slightly ahead of myself, but I'll ask anyway. I'm getting back into playing bass after many years inactive - I have a trusty Aria Pro II XRB 4-string, (think Jackson Concert lookalike) which I had serviced a few years ago by a good guitatar tech in Manchester. That'll do me nicely for now - I gigged with it years ago and it plays and sounds great still. Thing is, I've always fancied trying out a 5-string - especially as some of the stuff I listen to and would like to play seems to feature them quite a bit: rock/metal like Megadeth, Metallica, Nickelback* and such.

Looking at various sites and forums, if I was to take the plunge into 5-string fun an Ibanez SR305 seems to be the out-and-out winner - slim, fast neck, good tone, good VFM) - especially as I'm not blessed with very long fingers. But I also like the Jackson Concert series 5-string and the specs seem similar to the Ibanez in terms of neck, etc - the Jackson has a compound radius as opposed to the Ibanez' flat one. I like the look of both basses and I could trial an Ibanez very easily as most music shops stock them. The Jackson would be harder to locate in a store.

So the question is: what do the learned members of basschat recommend - Ibanez/Jackson or something else? :happy:

* Opens can of worms. Stands back...
:D

i recently bought a 5 string and while the neck dimensions was no problem the string spacing still catches me out occasionally as i was so used to the slightly wider string spacing of my 4 string. You cant go far wrong with an ibanez as they are alot of bass for the money though i cant comment on the jackson. best to try both if you can though so you can see which neck suits and what sound you prefer

You need to go and play some basses, as if you need an excuse. Ibanez make some great kit, but the 16.5mm spacing at the bridge is a little on the tight side for me. I have a Warwick Corvette 5 that I love the sound of, but it has the same spacing as the Ibanez, so it doesn't get much work. My go to basses (I only own 5 strings) all have 4 string type string spacing at 19mm. I don't have massive hands, and favour slim necks front to back, but wider string spacing works best for me. Can't comment on the Jackson, but I assume they're good for metal. Totally depends on how and what you play at the end of the day... time to go browsing!

Edited by NickD

I see you are in Warrington. It is an easy drive from there to the Great British Bass Lounge. Drew is an enthusiast and will give you his undivided attention. I would suggest you book an appointment and try out a few of his options before committing hard cash.

I started playing 5-string in my mid 50s as I too had come back to playing after a long break. I was not really interested in playing below bottom E but rather finding some easier fingering for some of the numbers I was being asked to play - Sir Duke springs to mind. I thought the transition would be easy, but after a few weeks I was still dropping clangers by hitting the wrong string. It did come good in the end. I guess it is down to how we map the fingerboard in our mind and I think I was to used to referencing everything to the E-string. Others might be different of course and I suspect far more competent than me. It all seemed so easy at home...

I have recently gravitated back to a 4-string. I have never been totally convinced that the B string sounds that good, and this is with a top quality Mike Lull 35" PJ5 bass. Just my opinion of course. I'm also going through a period of improving my fingerboard knowledge. Four strings gives me less to think about. So by that logic I should switch to one string...

Edited by DBerriff

Best value IMHO - an active USA built Sub 5 Stingray - built for about 3 yrs from 2003, I bought one for £400 recently and it's a killer - fabulous bass, and I just love the industrial look about it. They have the 2 band MM EQ and pick up. Sort of a classic Ray 5 in cheaper clothing!!

One piece of advice if you are taking up five string, get your muting technique sorted - the bottom B string will vibrate when you don't want it to (like an overtone droning sound as in bag pipes) if you don't mute it when you're not plucking the B string - this catches people out whose normal technique is to plant their plucking hand thumb on the pick up.

Edited by drTStingray

Once again some great advice here. Thanks guys. It's true there's no substitute for actually trying a bass out "in the [s]flesh[/s] wood".

Rich - I forgot Yamaha - also easy to trial as most shops seem to stock some. I'll also look into the Lakland and Stingray suggestions - they could be "upgrades" in the future maybe.

I've also taken on board the technique suggestions - I imagine it's a slightly different ball game- remembering the string you rest on is the B, not E etc. I'm curious to see what the difference in technique is with a pick/fingers. I've never been able to build up sufficient hard-spots on my fingers so gravitated towards a pick most of the time - especially for the hard attack that a lot of Rock requires.

DBerriff - in a roundabout way I kind of know Drew. He's the neighbour of a relative that I see from time to time (not recently). I only discovered he was a bass expert on my last visit. I may have to renew his acquaintance! :)

I believe the hardest thing to get used to is string spacing when you switch from 4 to 5 stringer. My first 5 string was yamaha TRB5 II which has similar string spacing to 4 string and it made getting used to process very easy. So I suggest you checking them out. They go for very low prices used. My only problem with TRB5 II was it being 35" scale lenght. Older TRBs have 34" scale but they are bit more expensive used. Another good and cheap option would be Yamaha BB415. I used one for some time and it feels very comfortable.

[quote name='nicsim' timestamp='1463139609' post='3048912']
So the question is: what do the learned members of basschat recommend
[/quote]

I know nothing about the basses you're looking at. I started on an MM SR 5 then moved on to a Lakland 55-94, but I've a couple of observations on 5 string basses in general.

You'll be told that 5 string fret boards are very wide. They are wider than 4 string players might be used to but that just means you have to adjust your left hand placement and technique. You can also play across the board rather than up and down.

You can't play big necks with small fingers. . . . is a myth. Bad habits will cause you more trouble than small hands. If you get a 35" scale bass don't stretch but move your hand to place your fingers over the right note. You might even have to adjust your strap, but big necks are very easy to play if you get your technique right.

Muting isn't a problem but again is different, so focus on your right hand technique and move your thumb between pickup, B string and E string. You can also mute with your left hand.

The lower the note the harder the amp and speakers have to work to get a good sound so don't skimp on your back line. Also don't think that bigger speakers are better for B strings. Some of the best low bass tones I've played have been on 10" speakers. The lower the note the less distinct it can become. Don't use too much bass in your tone. Low mids will bring the low notes out just fine.

A 5 string bass will required adjustment. People who don't make the right adjustments will not feel comfortable and will quickly go back to their old bass. If you're serious about trying a 5 string bass I'd put your old bass away and only play the 5er until it becomes second nature. You can cover all 4 string parts on it with no problem. For many people, swapping back and forth never lets them settle on the new bass. I think you should switch. Good luck.

IMO, IME

Thinking about the string spacing mentioned above - would a Jazz-type (either Fender or Squier) have a wider spacing (closer to a 4-string?). I know Jazz basses have slim necks, but from what I've managed to find in some specs, they have a slightly wider fretboard than the Ibanez or Jackson.

When I moved from a four to a five, it took me about three months to aclimatise. I started by relearning all the songs I knew in one key, then moved on to another key, and so on.

Also bear in mind that the B string changes in character as you move around - much more so than the other strings. Above fret 9 or 10 the 'short-string effect' becomes noticeable so you cannot assume that you can learn a bass line and then just move it up the fretboard to change key - you need to play it where it sounds good.

Finally, as a cheaper option, you could buy a set of 5 strings and try stringing a 4-string to be BEAD - that would give you a good idea as to whether you want to go to a 5, or could manage with the 4 without a G string.

David

i think you've been given some great advice so far, I started out on a Yamaha RBX765, picked it up for about 120 quid, 19mm spacing, as I only had one bass back then I didn't really know any different, since then I got my 77 precision and got used to the standard spacing on that.

then I ordered my letts 5 and it came as 17.5-18mm ish spacing, this felt perfect from the start, I have tried the tighter spacing of the Ibanez and warwick 5's whn i' was looking for a backup bass and they all seemed very cramped, the squire vm p-5 I have now is perfect, exactly the same spacing as the letts and a similar character to my 77 precision.

the best advice I can give is to look into floating thumb technique, this has been one of the best things I have done in years, everything sounds clearer and more defined as the low b isn't constantly vibrating (even if I don't actually hit it)

Matt

• 1 month later...

Just coming back to this thread. Interesting point Mottle - about tuning B E A D . I've been reading around on a few "name" bass players' gear and tunings and a few do that - including the late Paul Gray of Slipknot and Journey's Ross Valory. Is there a market for unwanted G strings? :lol:

[quote name='nicsim' timestamp='1467018927' post='3080408']
Just coming back to this thread. Interesting point Mottle - about tuning B E A D . I've been reading around on a few "name" bass players' gear and tunings and a few do that - including the late Paul Gray of Slipknot and Journey's Ross Valory. Is there a market for unwanted G strings? :lol:
[/quote]
People who slap and pop too hard are usually glad to take them.

David

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='thebassist' timestamp='1467066997' post='3081021']
Get a six. ��
[/quote]

This ^

Makes much more sense 😊.

When I switched from 4 to 5, I just mentally prepared myself, ie I mentally learned the new notes, which isn't hard, there's only 5 including the open B. I then visualised myself playing familiar lines, scales and apeggios on the bass before I bought it. I got it and gigged it the following day.