Why become a member? ×

Beer in my pedals.

Les

I know, I know !

We're old enough and experienced enough to know better but it's happened. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?&app=forums&module=extras&section=legends#"] :rolleyes:[/url]

My Behringer BDI 21 suffered the brunt of it and died a slow painful death during the 2nd set.

The other pedals are fine but although the BDI 21 powers up and lights up the signal isn't coming through and the switch feels sticky.

It's the cheapest of my pedals but it's the one I use the most other than my compressor which is on all the time.

I've tried a bit of switch cleaner but to no avail.

Anyone got any ideas before I confine it to the parts bin and buy another ? I don't mind trying a kill or cure cos' it's just a paperweight anyway now.

I can't be the first to suffer a beer attack on my pedal board. :huh:

ta

Les

Beer conducts electricity and sugar in the beer will act as an insulator messing up the contacts in all the plugs and sockets.Left on the board and components for any length of time any moisture will cause corrosion.

I'd open it up, which will speed up drying. I'd then remove any obvious deposits. I'd even be prepared in extremis to wash the beer off with water and maybe some mild detergent. Hard to say without seeing it. The trick then is to dry off the water as quickly as possible with plenty of moving air and a little heat. I'd use an airline but if you don't have access to that I'd try either a fan heater or a hair dryer, but don't let it get any hotter than you would want your skin to get.

That's a pretty drastic remedy but you might be lucky.

Don't connect it to any power until it is [b]completely[/b] dry. That is going to take hours so be patient.

Thanks Phil, will try that. Not gigging for 2 weeks so plenty of time to be patient.

What about loads of switch cleaner and a modicum of pressure on the gunky bits instead of water ?

Les

Beer is water based, so I'd go with Phil's water suggestion. If you have any IPA (The alcohol not the beer!) then id' follow it up with a spray of that which will displace the water and evaporate quickly. Let it dry thoroughly, and you'll probably be OK.

Water will not hurt the electronic components - companies that reclaim & resell old PCBs are known to put them in a domestic dishwasher as a first step to get all the muck off.

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1463180826' post='3049416']
Beer is water based, so I'd go with Phil's water suggestion. If you have any IPA (The alcohol not the beer!) then id' follow it up with a spray of that which will displace the water and evaporate quickly. Let it dry thoroughly, and you'll probably be OK.

Water will not hurt the electronic components - companies that reclaim & resell old PCBs are known to put them in a domestic dishwasher as a first step to get all the muck off.
[/quote]

I'd definitely go for the IPA for this, I've twice dropped my digital thermometer into the brew bucket when making beer, both times I quickly dismantled it and washed it off with IPA, and both times it sprung back into life when it dried off and I put in fresh batteries.

Matt

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1463410579' post='3051102']
Be good to hear how you get on with this.
[/quote]

Took it to bits and couldn't actually see any gunked up parts. Cleaned every thing with switch cleaner and a toothbrush gently.
Let it dry then tried it out. Same as, lit up but no signal coming through. I don't have the leads at home to try the balanced XLR
out so no idea.

Took it a apart again and tried the warm water mild detergent.Let it dry and got the hair dryer on it. Same result.

Given that it's dead and really cheap to replace I've just tried chucking it in the dishwasher a couple of days ago in a "can't break it any more than it is" stylee.

Will put it together and try it again tonight but not holding out much hope.

cheers everyone

Whilst water on it's own won't harm electronics, water and an electrical current will.

When you say "[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]died a slow painful death during the 2nd set." I guess you continued to use the pedal after the beer got in it.[/font][/color]

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]It's probably killed the pedal.[/color][/font]

Water (ie tap water) isn't really very conductive at the low voltages used for pedals etc.
Different matter at mains voltages - electric heater in bath scenario etc...
Don't know about beer though given the sugars etc.
Might cause problem with electrolytic caps ? - not all types are 'sealed' against fluid ingress.
IPA +1
If dishwasher not successful any chance of access to an ultrasonic cleaning bath ?

The dishwasher might be kill or cure! The water is at a fair old pressure and the drying cycle quite hot, you may have melted some of the plastics in there. Oh well it probably wasn't going to work anyway and as you say was cheap enough. Bad luck.

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1463586647' post='3052600']
Oh well it probably wasn't going to work anyway and as you say was cheap enough. Bad luck.
[/quote]

Not over yet Phil. Coroners report due about 7.30 :D

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1463595923' post='3052742']
Death by misadventure :(
[/quote]

Are you handy with a soldering iron / multimeter / 'scope ?

That circuit isn't too complicated if you can get to it and pull a schematic from the web...
My guess would be that it's the electromechanical bits most likely the problem - switch / pots / connectors etc ?

Gonna just buy a new one Morris.

After all that it's been through including the dishwasher the thing still powers up and lights up so maybe it could be fixed.

Have to say for a pedal that cost me about 28 quid and does what it says on the tin I've had about 2 years of flawless service from it
and it's no fault of the pedal that it's now being replaced. Impressive

Thanks for ever ones input guys

Les