Why become a member? ×

Duke double bass with guts

Xsterling

Hello,

I know that there are many Duke basses around here!
But how many of you are playing it with gut strings?

I'm asking that because I've always noticed that my gut G string sounds just a little bit nassal for my taste when I slap and with some annoying harmonics. It doesn't sounds as bassy, fundamental and thumpy as the other strings (Eudoxa E+A, Gamut Pistoy Light D).

I've tryed different brand and gauges of G gut strings and more or less it's always the same, good for pizz but when I slap...
On the other hand it doesn't happen with the original black nylon Gut-a-likes or with the Lambert Gut Twins! Both sounds great when I slap but don't match at all with the other strings when pizz.

I don't know if it's something of my double bass or my head or if it's usual with all the gut G strings...

Can anybody help me?

There are too many variables at play to give a constructive answer. May I ask if this happens unamplified or amplified? Have you listened back to a recording of it for another perspective or are you assessing the sound when playing?

[quote name='zero9' timestamp='1463160910' post='3049204']
There are too many variables at play to give a constructive answer. May I ask if this happens unamplified or amplified? Have you listened back to a recording of it for another perspective or are you assessing the sound when playing?
[/quote]
This happens unamplified and it's more audible amplified.
Yes, I have recorded myself playing with all the strings too.

Edited by Xsterling

The next step would be to check the setup. Are the slots in the nut and bridge all similar (compared with the other strings)? Is the string seating properly? If you get a different response with different G strings, it could be down to how the string sits in the slots. If it sounds thin and nasal, it suggests the energy is not being transferred through the bridge to the body. Is there anything else attached to the G string or bridge that could affect tone?

[quote name='zero9' timestamp='1463169157' post='3049301']
The next step would be to check the setup. Are the slots in the nut and bridge all similar (compared with the other strings)? Is the string seating properly? If you get a different response with different G strings, it could be down to how the string sits in the slots. If it sounds thin and nasal, it suggests the energy is not being transferred through the bridge to the body. Is there anything else attached to the G string or bridge that could affect tone?
[/quote]
It seems that the G string is seating properly.
I visited a luthier who dressed the fingerboard but didn't noticed anything wrong about the nut and bridge slots.
Although he said that the soundpost was too short for his taste, but didn't move or changed it. So currently it's the original one and it's in the original place.

Somewhat of a mystery it seems. If the luthier didn't spot anything either it'll be trial and error to diagnose whether there's anything wrong, or it's simply down to the different G strings themselves. You may have to settle for a compromise for now and find a G string that works 'best' for both slap and pizz but may not necessary excel in either.

The soundpost needs to be in the correct position to get the most out of the bass, and it's worth experimenting to find the 'best' position. If you trust the luthier (and can afford it), then get a new soundpost fitted, as this could make the difference.

Good luck with your quest.

Edited by zero9