Why become a member? ×

Have we all become wimps or is it a sign of an ageing population

Kex

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1463511070' post='3051989']
I'm pretty sure you'd know, even blindfold. ;) The good news is I have played an SVT/810 this year and I was gratified to learn that it's just as I remember it, if not better. Still the benchmark, imho. But I'd like to hear an SVT through a BF Six10 or Eight10, I think that might well be an acceptable compromise... or even a Big Twin 2, in fact.
[/quote]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]That's good enough for me. I'm still never gonna try and get one into an estate car at one in the morning again, though... :D[/font][/color]

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1463407561' post='3051079']
In terms of the strength/weight issue; I've said for a while that people complaining about sore shoulders or backs after long rehearsals/gigs should be looking at weight training - it really does help (and the results manifest quite quickly)! Deadlifts, squats, bench press, overhead press etc... all work large muscles groups & improve your core strength - it's so cheap & easy to do I would recommend that people do it even if they're not currently struggling.
[/quote]This! :-) And you don't have to be an Arnie to benefit :-)

[QUOTE] BigRedX said :

IME the most important part of the sound of an SVT and 810 is that the sheer size of the cab gets some of the speakers reasonably close to my ears. [/QUOTE]

I think the physics of it is that prety much the whole of the front of the cab is involved in radiating, and that's more efficient at very low frequencies plus its more coherent in terms of arrival time - hence the slam and punch. Plus the lowest natural resonance of the cab is way low.

It is also true that it's nearer yer ears too......!

LD

Further to my previous post....

Having been getting hacked off with more and more frequent back pain over the years I consulted the medico a few weeks ago.

Results and subsequent consultation this morning led me to discover that I have a "very mashed lumber section of my spine which is now arthritic" and I also have a "serious distortion of the cervical section of my spine".

The lumber section problem is thought to be mainly due to old age and a history of lifting and carrying heavy loads i.e. bass and PA cabs.

The cervical section problem was a major surprise.
When asked if I had experienced any significant impact to my shoulder / neck area in the past I told the doc about a pretty bad karting prang I had whilst racing in 1970. I didn't consult the medicos until 1976 because I was getting weird headaches when they found that a "slipped disc was almost back into position which was causing the pain".
On checking details and examining my records again today they were adamant I had "almost broken my neck without me realising it all those years ago. :o
I now await treatment suggestions.

In the meantime I'm glad that I changed to a BF Retro 210. :)

Be careful children and always do what it says on the tin.

I think someone mentioned this already but it's not the weight alone that's the problem it's the size/shape of the lift. I could lift a BF one10 cab if it's 7kg or 37kg. Ask me to put it on a shelf above my head and I'm not sure if I could even do the 37kg. Same with a big empty box, I'd probably struggle just lifting that above my head on own. I have no probs lifting a heavy'ish amp head on to a waist height cab or into the boot of a car. However, I chose my cabs due to weight, size & even handle position (2 hand lift, one either side of the cab) to minimise back pain. Your doing more damage to your back by lifting one handed, even lighter cabs & especially slinging a bass over one shoulder to play a gig.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1463511070' post='3051989']
I'm pretty sure you'd know, even blindfold. ;) The good news is I have played an SVT/810 this year and I was gratified to learn that it's just as I remember it, if not better. Still the benchmark, imho. But I'd like to hear an SVT through a BF Six10 or Eight10, I think that might well be an acceptable compromise... or even a Big Twin 2, in fact.
[/quote]

I think that would be completely missing the point.

Sorry to read about your back woes, Jazzneck - hope that gets sorted.

Discreet, you realise that an SVT head is really a 2 man lift ?!?

[QUOTE] largo said:

Your doing more damage to your back by lifting one handed, even lighter cabs & especially slinging a bass over one shoulder to play a gig. [/QUOTE]

Yes, lifting one handed is bad, and even modest weights can be damaging if you catch it wrong - that's my understanding and experience.
I think there's a tendancy to be casual with modest weights, and the times I've pulled muscles in my back have always been lifting modest weights awkwardly or casually, especially one handed and twisting.

I recall at work a health and safety notice about proper lifting techniques, set out in clear steps. It had been graffiti'd, and step 1 changed to read "Get someone else to lift it" :huh:

The band I'm in shifts a 1967 Hammond organ and Leslie about, and we are so careful with our backs and fingers - so far no injuries, but plenty of misadventures! The back injuries we do get happen in the most stupid ways, like tying shoelaces getting out of bed or other bedroom antics, coughing etc......

......what a drag it is getting old, as Mick said.

LD

This is one reason why I'm not a fan of a larger cab being lightweight and one handled...
The swing weight and generally awkwardness sounds a PITA ..even more so that weight.

If I know the load-in... then 2 men on it is better than trying to navigate thru a bar around chairs
AND people.

Small and light..?? fair enough and better in this regard which is why the small ethic works for single cabs.
You still have to carry two tho..and it is an expensive way round it all, but for me, that is the way it works.

The deal is, I'll help with the traps case and the keys if they help with a 60lb 212... :lol:

[quote name='Kex' timestamp='1463218308' post='3049589']
So old bad, new good?

Guess thats why a Stradivarius is next to worthless, why a 1952 Precision is unsalable, why vintage Aston Martins sit unwanted in damp garagea and no one drinks anything other then Beaujolais Nouveau. As for those old valves, don't even start......
[/quote]

You're not exactly comparing like with like. I'd compare a Trace Elliot combo to a Ford Cortina, not an Aston Martin.

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1463555289' post='3052192']
I think someone mentioned this already but it's not the weight alone that's the problem it's the size/shape of the lift. I could lift a BF one10 cab if it's 7kg or 37kg. Ask me to put it on a shelf above my head and I'm not sure if I could even do the 37kg. Same with a big empty box, I'd probably struggle just lifting that above my head on own. I have no probs lifting a heavy'ish amp head on to a waist height cab or into the boot of a car. However, I chose my cabs due to weight, size & even handle position (2 hand lift, one either side of the cab) to minimise back pain. Your doing more damage to your back by lifting one handed, even lighter cabs & especially slinging a bass over one shoulder to play a gig.
[/quote]

I definitely agree with you.

Lifting lighter gear in a bad way will do you more damage than lifting heavier gear in a good way.

Keeping your back in good shape and not causing it to strain awkwardly is the key.

Slightly unrelated, but demonstrates a point to some extent. I damaged my back once by twisted quickly to put a seat belt on in a car. No weight involved at.

Two years ago I was in work on a Monday morning, sat in a chair - I leaned forward to put my boots on and Ker-POW! 3 days in bed and another week walking round like a 90 year old miner.

And yes.. good technique will go a long way where carrying bass gear is concerned.