Why become a member? ×

1x10???

spongebob

I'm in the process of building my 1st rig, getting away from 20 years of combos.

Space is a serious transportation issue - so small is important.

Now running a Fender Rumble 500 head, 115 (15") cab.

If I did need more in the future - not sure I will, as it's very powerful - but if I did, would a small 10" cab help?

Eden make the EX110 for example. Great size-wise, but is it a viable option for more grunt if necessary? Re grunt, ie more power!😉

I've not heard the One10, so the smallest single cab I'd be happy to gig with is a Barefaced 112 (which is what I did last night).

Other than that I don't know of any 110 or 112 which would take on a 115.

The BF 112 would be smaller, and almost certainly, louder than most 115's.

My general view is that what you can get away with is not what I'd personally want to do.

The guys with the best sound round here invaribly use two cabs... or at the very least more than one chassis in a cab.

If I was building to compliment a 115, I'd be looking at a 10 plus a 6" possibly...and the trick would be how to 'balance'
the power into both cabs..

I had one of the early Yamaha class D amps with a matching 110. Used to do a jam night with a drummer with a reputation for being loud and never had a problem. The pub had a horrible Harte rig with a 115 and 410, which the landlady had put strict instructions on as to how far up the volume could go. One night she came storming up to the stage to turn it down and then saw what I was playing through. She didn't believe her ears, laughed, and let me get on with it :D

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1463401621' post='3051008']
Get a larger car. Bass players and tiny rides don't mix. Just be thankful you don't play drums. :happy:
[/quote]

An old drummer friend of mine could get his full kit in a Mini. Not the fat blob new one but an old Cooper. It's as if the car was designed around a bass drum, amazing thing.

[quote name='2elliot' timestamp='1463504202' post='3051890']

An old drummer friend of mine could get his full kit in a Mini. Not the fat blob new one but an old Cooper. It's as if the car was designed around a bass drum, amazing thing.
[/quote]

Yep, my old drummer too. Bass drum on the passenger seat. Somehow we got a bass in a hard case, a medium-sized bass combo and me in there too!

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1463255332' post='3050022']

The guys with the best sound round here invaribly use two cabs... or at the very least more than one chassis in a cab.

[/quote]

Many would disagree with that :)

Get out there and try some cabs and see what suits you. I have recently purchased a Vanderkley 112 and it is an excellent cab. Can't imagine needing to run a second, either. What size gigs are you looking to do?

• 5 weeks later...

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1464200888' post='3057534']
Many would disagree with that :)

Get out there and try some cabs and see what suits you. I have recently purchased a Vanderkley 112 and it is an excellent cab. Can't imagine needing to run a second, either. What size gigs are you looking to do?
[/quote]

This is a common mistake plenty make....IMO... the sound they get in itself might be ok...and sounds good until the band kicks in and you'll find the bass, although heard, has no chance of underpinning the band and providing any top end defintion, to be heard.
Basically, in the context of the band, the bass is AWOL.

It seems to be a goal of so many bass players to use as small a rig as a possible, but just off the top of my head, no one I can think of, makes it work.
The only guy around here who does, runs a feed into a full range P.A with good subs....but that is a whole new ballgame.