Why become a member? ×

Need Help Ampeg vs aguilarvs galiien krugger

danbanbass

I have to say it's another one of those 'try 'em all out' situations. You might just be a GK guy, but you'll never know until you've played the Ampeg and Aguilar. From what I've heard, the Ampeg and Aguilar could sound quite different.

Let us know which one you go for.

IMHO -if going for the Aguilar go 4 the AG500 NOT the AG500SC.apparently it's nicer-not JUST for the extra channel & overdrive option! Also AFAIK-& from what I noticed when I A/B'd a 4 pro with my Fender 300PRO- the 4PRO isn't THAT loud-compared to some other 'bridged 1200w (or something like that) All I knew was-my 300PRO ATE it!!! BY MILES in the headroom stakes..... BUT U NEVER have to be THAT loud anyway...so -If U like the sound of the 4pro & it IS loud enough- can't see it NOT being loud enough for almost ANY use-stadiums-maybe not-close tho! ;-) - well then the 4 PRO is a LOVELY sounding amp from what I've heard. I only used one ONE day tho & it was primarily to A/B it with the 300PRO!!

Dan
Biased Opinion coming right up.
Over the past few months I've been trying out various amp/cab combinations in search of the best sound for me (..point to note, everybody is looking for something different!)
I tried Mesa, Ampeg, SWR and others and narrowed it down to 2 after spending silly money and travelling many miles.

Aguilar AG500 and the Thunderfunk550.

The Aguilar, when coupled to a 4ohm load is just so loud and has clarity to cut through and be heard. Simple controls make it easy to dial in a great sound and the 'dirty' channel works well if overdrive's your thing.

It was a close run thing for me, but I wanted a more 'Hi-Fi sound' and I get that with the Thunderfunk, albeit it takes a little more work to tweak and fart about with the controls, thats the only downside. No complaints about the Aggie though, but I can't keep both.

The upshot is, that I now have a Aguilar AG500 (twin channel) up for grabs (in the F/S section), hardly used , 6 weeks old.
Unlikely to find one one newer/cheaper anywhere.

PM me if you need any more info.

Biased Opinion ...you bet !! :)

[quote name='rodl2005' post='3407' date='May 21 2007, 09:46 AM']the 4PRO isn't THAT loud-compared to some other 'bridged 1200w[/quote]

Did you bridge it correctly? it'sa very common mistake made with the 4PRO.

If you find yourself needing more headroom with the 4PRO then it's probably time to be going through the PA in any case.