Why become a member? ×

From Hard Case.....To Mono Bag?

spongebob

:o whatever works for you I guess. Having had someone sit on a bass bow in a semi-rigid case once, I don't like to take chances with my gear any more. It's possible I'm a bit over-protective, but better that than broken basses

[quote name='neilp' timestamp='1463483856' post='3051663']
Having had someone sit on a bass bow in a semi-rigid case once...
[/quote]

If someone was to sit on any of my basses they would find themselves with whatever instrument they played inserted in a way that would make sitting on anything else quite uncomfortable... :mellow:

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='neilp' timestamp='1463487120' post='3051709']
Doesn't repair the damage though does it?
[/quote]

No of course not... people just don't think do they... well either that or they just don't care which also seems to be a popular attitude.

Edited by CamdenRob

Partly lack of care/respect I think, and partly lack of understanding of exactly what's involved in terms of monetary value - and other kinds of value! That's why my basses live in hard cases - I don't want to have to go through the grief again!

Having said that, I don't have to use public transport!!!

Interesting stuff here!

My dilemma was that I don't use PT, and only carry the bass from car and into the venue. Always used HC out of habit.

However, I can squeeze my rig in the car if I use a gig bag, and it's lighter to carry as well. Taking a HC with TSA approved locks is a bit extreme for a 10 second walk, I've discovered! :(

[quote name='neilp' timestamp='1463480528' post='3051620']
I have to say this is something I've never understood. My basses don't go, and have never gone, outside the door unless in a hard case. They're too precious to me.
[/quote]

It's the case of having the right case for the job. A good hard case is essential if your bass is going in the band van or needs to be stacked with other gear in your car. However it's not going to be very convenient if you've got to carry it several miles to the venue or rehearsal room. I've done it a couple of times with a Hiscox which is probably the lightest hard case and it's not much fun. That's why I have both gig bags and hard cases and use the one that is going to be the most appropriate for my mode of transport.

• Like 1

in '74, I bought my drums, and I helped my Dad in making a set of beechwood and ply crates for 'em, before moving to France and touring with 'em. Now we play out very rarely, and in my own Trafic tour bus, and so use a tough set of medium-soft zip-up cases. As above, it's a case (Ha, ha..!) of horses for courses. If basses stay at home, they can be on stands, or wall hangers. Once out of the house, it's just a question of weighing up the risks against practicality, finance, space available and more. Each has his/her own solution, which can evolve, as things often change.
My top vintage jazz guitar was resting, at home, in the corner of the room, minding its own business. A very young nephew passed by, the headstock was snapped clean off. It took me 10 years and over 1000€ to get it repaired. It now resides in a hard case, even at home, as do almost all of my instruments. My 'go to' guitar and bass are hanging on the wall behind my armchair. Accidents can, and do, happen.

Edited by Dad3353

Got the TGI Extreme through today. Well done Bassgear, great service from these guys.

It's a lovely bit of kit, exactly what I was after. Fits the bass well, very padded and protective too.

Glad I posted the thread before blowing £100 on a Mono - the TGI is just the product I imagined and wanted. Fits in the gap I wanted it to like a dream!

(Speech..) I'd like to thank Bassgear, Basschat, TGI, etc, etc.....! :D

I found the Mono was great, I had a single and then a double one... then I got to the point where I couldn't be arsed with the weight of carry two basses every where, and after time and many many gigs / sessions, it does start to look tatty.

I ended up moving over to Harvest, they ain't cheap, but as far as I can tell, they're certainly one of the finest in the business. If the bass it going in the back of a van, I'll pop it in a Hiscox. Same if I'm flying too, Hiscox or flight case.

I was a dedicated hard case user for 10 years and then when the Mono bags came out I thought it was worth a look. By chance one popped up on eBay for stupid low price so I nabbed it straight away as an experiment.

I gig quite a bit and practice a lot with a few bands and moving over to a heavy duty gig bag has been brilliant. The main difference to me is that I do not worry about scuffing car trim and tearing car seats as the basses always lay along the back seat. I never put my basses in the back of vans etc and wouldn't dream of putting a gig bag in the back with a lot of heavy PA, but then again I never have to so no issue there.

I also have an issue with my old Hiscox case. If I bump the case I can actually hear the strings of the bass vibrate which to me makes me think that any impact on the case is actually being transferred to my bass which I don't like. So I have given up on Hiscox until I need something heavy duty.

My Mono M80 is superb, it has been abused and dropped and dragged and it still looks good and absorbs every knock from a banister/door frame/car door I subject it to with no damage to my bass. I do think they are hugely expensive though which is why I am just about to try a Protection Racket case which I will review when It arrives and do comparisons on.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1463411349' post='3051113']

Doesn't seem to have much space in it? ...a lead and a strap and it's full! I did buy the tick thing that attaches to the top which gives a bit more space.

I do like it as a bag though... I'm considering the dual M80 as I have need of a double gigbag.
[/quote]

Don't know about that - mine contains strap, lead, extra string set, a foldable stand, multitool, spare 9V battery, sundry cables, string winder, and ear plugs, with room to spare. :)

Well at the risk of sounding like a right Pratt I've just gone and got a Mono Vertigo. I got a very, very good deal on it and thought I'd see what all the fuss is about.

I still feel the same as earlier in the thread, as in I don't need this much protection and extra weight and bulk, but the very low price and the fact that it sits lower on my shoulder than any other bag I've tried made me give it a go.

It is a lovely case, and although it's the longest case I have it feels quite compact. The one issue I have with my other bags is they flap around on my shoulder when I'm walking and only using one strap. I guess due to the Mono being more rigid it doesn't move much,

I'll probably not use it for gigs as it will be a tight fit in the car, but for rehearsals and storing my bass at home it's going to work well.

I just sold my Fusion Urban and miss not having a decent gig bag. I moved it on as I thought the Sadowsky case would suffice. The Sadowsky case is very light and offers good protection, but has little storage and I miss not being able to wear it on my back. Might have to get another gig bag after all...

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1464520072' post='3060009']
Just get a Hiscox! Why spend hundreds on basses to then put them in a case which a paper cup could damage...
[/quote][quote name='NJE' timestamp='1463756254' post='3053895']
I have an issue with my Hiscox case. If I bump the case I can hear the strings of the bass vibrate which to me makes me think that any impact on the case is actually being transferred to my bass which I don't like. So I have given up on Hiscox until I need something heavy duty.
[/quote]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1464520072' post='3060009']
Just get a Hiscox! Why spend hundreds on basses to then put them in a case which a paper cup could damage...
[/quote]

A Hiscox case is fine so long as you don't have to carry it any great distance. Then you need a good gig bag. Also these semi rigid cases offer considerably more protection, than the average £30 gig bag.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1464520373' post='3060013']
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=findpost&pid=3060009"][/url]LayDownThaFunk, on 29 May 2016 - 11:07 AM, said:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=findpost&pid=3053895"][/url]NJE, on 20 May 2016 - 02:57 PM, said:
I have an issue with my Hiscox case. If I bump the case I can hear the strings of the bass vibrate which to me makes me think that any impact on the case is actually being transferred to my bass which I don't like. So I have given up on Hiscox until I need something heavy duty.
[/quote]

Hiscox cases are for Fenders with the four in a row headstock. 2+2 gives you a good couple of inches for the bass to bounce around. Alright for me because I play Jazz basses...

Edited by LayDownThaFunk