Why become a member? ×

From Hard Case.....To Mono Bag?

spongebob

Having changed the car, I'm having to go on a bit of a size reduction on gear!

I've always used hardcases for years, never considered anything else.

However, I could get my bass behind the seats if it was in something thinner...hence my curiosity was tweaked by the Mono M80 bag.

How strong are these? Are they a viable alternative with good enough protection for my bass?

Noticed the do a Vertigo at £50 more....

Thoughts please guys...or a trailer!😃

A quality gig bag is a boon and the best ones do a good job. You're never going to get the sort of protection overall that a hard case offers, but unless you're touring multiple countries by plane and are just taking your bass from house to car to gig and back then I wouldn't worry about that too much. I've found that in smaller venues a hard case is a pain the ass if you're pushed for space and the stage is a bit tight.

You can get on stage with a gig bag, hold it upright and get your bass in and out, and stick it behind your rig for safe keeping. Much more difficult to do with an unwieldy hard case. They are called 'gig' bags for good reason... ;)

I can't get a hard case in my boot, where a gig bag fits easily along with my minimal rig. I prefer to keep my bass gear out of sight when I'm driving, it's a definite advantage in London. You really don't want to be leaving a car with gear on show, even for a minute.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1463392242' post='3050893']
but I think the M80 would be too wide.
[/quote]

Yeah the M80 I have is a similar thickness to a hardcase... similar weight too... and has a crap pocket arrangement.

... damn good protection though.

Something with around 30mm of padding. A gig bag gets too bulky if you start loading it up with amps, FX, cables and what-not. Best to just carry your bass in it and nothing else - then the bag remains slim and can do its job properly.

I've got a Ritter bag which works very well. There are various styles. They don't look like much but they're practical, offer good protection and they're not expensive. Though of course you might want to go for something that looks more cool. ;)

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/ritter_rgs7_bass_guitar_mgb.htm?sid=83a6b311b63008463b86be6521e7cc8c"]http://www.thomann.d...b86be6521e7cc8c[/url]

Edited by discreet

I went from one of those semi-hard sadowski style rectangular cases to a Mono M80 & I think it's great. It's not a flight case so don't treat it as such but they're more than enough for house to car & public transport duties - the padding is surprisingly deep/firm & the neck pillow on the inside it good.

Not sure what's wrong with the pocket Rob? It's just a big zip-up one on the front like most other gig bags isn't it?

I wouldn't bother with the vertigo - they're trying to fix a problem that doesn't really exist, removing some of the padding & charging you more for it. Unless you regularly drop your bass on its end, in which case yes get one.

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1463410719' post='3051104']
Not sure what's wrong with the pocket Rob? It's just a big zip-up one on the front like most other gig bags isn't it?
[/quote]

Doesn't seem to have much space in it? ...a lead and a strap and it's full! I did buy the tick thing that attaches to the top which gives a bit more space.

I do like it as a bag though... I'm considering the dual M80 as I have need of a double gigbag.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1463391792' post='3050884']

However, I could get my bass behind the seats if it was in something thinner...hence my curiosity was tweaked by the Mono M80 bag.

Noticed the do a Vertigo at £50 more....

[/quote]

There's usually not more than £10 between the price of an M80 and a Vertigo. The Sleeve is roughly £50 cheaper than either but it's quite different from the M80 and Vertigo.

I've used the M80 a lot. Works well for me, nice big pockets and not too bulky. Just moved to Harvest leather but that's a lot more money :(

Part of the reason for this is purely because of the 'car boot' syndrome. Harvest make a shorter scale bag that takes my Ritters perfectly and it just fits inside a BMW 3 Coupe boot. The M80 laid across the back seat OK though.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1463414486' post='3051169']
5-series is the way to go ...
[/quote]

Believe me, I've thought about it :)

I reckon a full sized gig bag will go in the boot.

Mind you, I once had 15 basses in the 3 Coupe and a lot of those were in hard cases!

Ive never used a hard case, nor an expensive gig bag. No real need to buy in to the Mono gear for good protection IMO. As stated, you can spend an awfully lot less for more than adequate protection. They do look nice but just how much protection does one need if you look after your gear?

The problem with the Mono M80 and nearly all of the other new breed of semi-rigid gig bags is that they are all about the same size and weight as a Hiscox LiteFlite hard case.

They have IME two advantages.

1. You can carry them on your back if you find them comfortable. I don't. My M80 is awkward and bangs against the back of my legs as i walk so it's not much good for me on anything but very short journeys.

2. There's a bit of give in the case, so if you're trying to fit it into a very full car it may squash into a space where a hard case won't go.

They're not even cost effective. For the same money you could by a Hiscox and a decent £30 gig bag that is comfortable on your back.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1463474319' post='3051546']...how much protection does one need if you look after your gear?
[/quote]

An accident is just that; an unforeseen circumstance. If one never has one, no need for any insurances at all, I suppose. It's when an accident occurs that these things come into play. One takes one's chances...
Just sayin'.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1463474319' post='3051546']
but just how much protection does one need if you look after your gear?
[/quote]

Quite a bit when you're humping it around on public transport...

Public transport by definition is frequented by the public... and where the public are concerned you are never far from a potential disaster. It's best to protect your gear as best you can.

Edited by CamdenRob

Well in the 13 years ive been playing, and i do use public transport for every gig, ive not had any damage. Most of the time ive used an old Fender unpadded bag.
Im not saying things cant happen, but i dont agree that just because you use public transport something will, and that you need to spend £150 to ensure damage doenst happen.

My point was more why pay £150 when cheaper bags will do just as well, and maybe easier to use.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1463478479' post='3051591']
Well in the 13 years ive been playing, and i do use public transport for every gig, ive not had any damage. Most of the time ive used an old Fender unpadded bag.
Im not saying things cant happen, but i dont agree that just because you use public transport something will, and that you need to spend £150 to ensure damage doenst happen.

My point was more why pay £150 when cheaper bags will do just as well, and maybe easier to use.
[/quote]

Well yes you can never guarantee your bass won't get damaged, but it's always best to limit the chances of an accident happening as much as possible. The Mono M80 is bulky, heavy and far from perfect but it does offer reassuring protection... yes they are expensive, but so are the basses I want protecting.

Oh yes, im not suggesting we shouldn't take extra precaution. My thinking is a big and heavy bag will be more lilly to get knocked on a crowded trait or bus. to me thats adding to the danger rather than helping to avoid it.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='neilp' timestamp='1463480528' post='3051620']
I have to say this is something I've never understood. My basses don't go, and have never gone, outside the door unless in a hard case. They're too precious to me.
[/quote]

I'm completely the opposite - My basses leave the house all the time and their hard cases never leave my loft. In fact I have two custom built full flight cases that came with basses when new that have never been used :lol:

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1463483487' post='3051658']
In fact I have two custom built full flight cases that came with basses when new that have never been used :lol:
[/quote]

Yes I have one of those as well... it is so preposterously heavy, it is of little practical use :mellow: