Why become a member? ×

NAD Ashdown Retroglide 800

BassBod

[attachment=219482:IMG_1551.jpg]

I've had this for about a month now, so here's the brief report.

I was really looking for a small power amp, but when this came up it got me thinking - I always found the Trace Elliot GP11 preamp easy to work with, and essentially neutral if you ignored the slapswitch/preshape. But those old heads are generally way too heavy and bulky for my typical work.

The Retroglide is a modern small power amp with a simple 12 band graphic eq. That's it really. If you like the sound of your bass, use the eq to fine tune it to the room...if you feel the need to add drive/distortion then use a pedal or don't buy this amp. I've used Sansamps or Aguilar/Sadowsky pedals for years and like to change them to suit the gig.

The Good Stuff.

Its very simple. Its plenty powerful. It stays cool (cold,really!). It isn't super light, it may only be the metal case, but it feels like it will stay put and can be handled without having to be very careful. The input clip light varies in intensity, so you can get an easy feel when setting up a sound. No noticeable compression - play harder and it gets louder.

Not so Good.

The fan is always on, and you can hear it in a very quiet room. Not intrusive in any gigging environment, but could be an issue in a studio or theatre.

No DI ground lift or pre/post selection switches. Not used the DI yet...and I'm sure its electrically clean, but just not having these will upset those engineers that like to complain about amp DI's. I'd really like to see a transformer DI provided (like the old GP11) but its probably too expensive.

Only one Speaker socket. The online manual lists this as a dual Speakon/jack, but on my amp its just a Speakon connection. I know you can power two cabs by connecting them to each other...but it would be good to have two outputs.

The power switch sits under the mains connector, so its a bit of a fiddle.

Ashdown can't currently provide a matching case or bag, although they said they will have one later in the year.

Overall I'm very happy with it, although I've re-named mine the Romford 800.....

BB

Cool :)
I agree re the single speaker out (same on my RM800)
but I believe they may have rectified that on newer production runs.

I can't afford one of these (or anything right now sadly!) but know there's something else in the offing which I very much want above and beyond one of these. But it would be fun to have one :)

I like the way they are doing the small/light amp concept (not so light it feels fragile) but I'm not so convinced by their cabs - I tried the R800 through some of their small cabs and they seemed weak compared to my usual stuff (TKS, BF or old SWR & Bag End). It was only a quick shop floor test, but that was my impression.