Why become a member? ×

CORRECT way to install a BADASS II bridge?

Hi all, hope you're well.

Just wondering whether the saddles should (or shouldn't) be filed down to correspond with the strings. I've always operated under the notion that you DID. However, the luthier that I sent it to claims that you DON'T; instead, suggesting that it will eventually break itself in.

It wasn't a problem until I started to slap, and the g string started moving around on the saddle.

Should I be seeking a second opinion?

Edited by Greg.Bassman

They need to be filed, you'll place a lot more stress on the windings if not, and the strings can/will move laterally depending on your style and the gauge of string (which will place more stress on the windings). The instructions with the bridge are pretty clear on this IIRC.

I would recommend that you don't do it yourself - like so many apparently simple aspects of bass setup, it's harder than it looks. I've had the misfortune of buying a couple of used Badass bridges the slots on which were DIY. I had to but new saddle for both. However, sounds to me like your first choice luthier may not be the man for the job?

Hi all. Cheers for the feedback, really helpful. Thanks.

I shall swing it past the luthier and see what can be done. If he disagrees with the points made here (and not to mention from leo quan himself), then he's obviously not worth his salt... or my money lol.

Thanks again all.

Edited by Greg.Bassman