Why become a member? ×

New caretaker wanted for Aria SB website / fan pages

Bassclef

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]For years I have been running a [url="http://www.gfyfe.com/aria.htm"]website[/url] about Aria SB basses. I've been thinking about packing it in for a while now. My domain hosting is due for renewal in a month, and with other interests these days I can no longer be bothered maintaining the website. Plus I can't afford it right now![/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I would like the resource to keep running though, it has given me and some others a lot of pleasure over the years. Is there any fellow BCer who would be willing to take over the reins? You would have complete control over future content.[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Graeme[/font][/size]

Hey there Graeme,

Long time! Didn't realise that you were hanging around here! We chatted SB700s many moons ago...

On a slight tangent, have you ever thought of transferring the content of the site over to one of the free blogging platforms like Blogger or Wordpress. That's what I did with my Wal history blog when we changed ISP a few years ago and I lost the free 20MB of webspace. They are dead easy to learn and very intuitive and, best of all, free!

If you just copied all the website pages back onto your hard drive via your FTP programme you could load them up bit by bit. That's how I rebuilt the Wal site.

Anyway, just a thought...

Graeme, Hi.

A great site - always handy for reference and you were always happy to help.

I think the above idea has some legs - I am not IT savvy enough to move a web site
but I know that once I got used to the format, the blog I run is straightforward.

As a point of reference, it needs saving, as it is perhaps the most informative out there.

Hope someone enthusiastic and clever enough can keep it going.

Many thanks to you for setting it up and running it all this time.

All the best.

Cheers. :)

That would be me. I spoke with Graeme briefly a few weeks back as I was genuinely surprised that we hadn't already crossed paths. For anybody who doesn't know me, I run ProjectGuitar.com and have been making bonkers-quality preamps for SB-1000s for a number of years now. I'd like to see somebody take the site on and keep her running in some form as it helped me a lot way back when also. I don't think I should throw my hat in the ring since I have a conflict of sorts, what with selling preamps and flirting with non-Japanese basses quite regularly. :D

Hi guys, Trevor & Eric, and that must be you Carl! How are you all doing?

It would be easy to transfer the site over to a free host. However I am really looking for someone full of youthful enthusiasm to take over the site; someone who has the time to deal with new contributions and maybe track down some of the "missing" models? Uploading files to a host server is easy. Creating pages takes longer. I learned basic html source code, but these days hosts tend to have their own creating programs which are easy to use.

I'll stick an advert on the site itself. Meanwhile if anyone out there feels like giving it a go please PM me.

Yep, that's me alright!
If nobody else rises to the task, fantastic. Otherwise, I'll do what I can to maintain and develop it. Thing is, I tend to be a bit of a "new broom" and I think whatever is done should be representative of the labour you've put in Graeme.

Hey Graeme,

Only came across this post as I am still on the hunt for another SB-R150! And just did another search and this post jumped up at number 2!

I host several sites (of different types) and would be more than happy to cover the hosting aspect - I probably wouldn't have time to do much admin for it - free of charge.

PM me for a chat.

Hi guys

If you haven't sorted something already, we'd be happy to do this for you via the BC server and rescue it for you. I'm just talking to the others about the details so I'll give you a point of contact in due course.

Cheers
ped

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1463996617' post='3055566']
If you haven't sorted something already, we'd be happy to do this for you via the BC server and rescue it for you. I'm just talking to the others about the details so I'll give you a point of contact in due course.
[/quote]

Hi Ped, and thank you to everyone who has replied on here.

I am interested in your suggestion of hosting it on BC. Is there anything similar on here already? How would you see it working? Do you have in mind someone with editorial control, I mean rather than just threads where anyone can chip in?

A bass player from the USA has been in touch, he sounds very keen and well qualified, and I was just about to give him the nod when I saw this.

If it was, I would recommend him highly since he would maintain the site with an active hand rather than simply maintaining it. Whilst I don't think he has a high degree of coding experience (that I am aware of anyway) he knows the ground, and will take it forward.

[quote name='Bassclef' timestamp='1464025662' post='3055878']

Hi Ped, and thank you to everyone who has replied on here.

I am interested in your suggestion of hosting it on BC. Is there anything similar on here already? How would you see it working? Do you have in mind someone with editorial control, I mean rather than just threads where anyone can chip in?

A bass player from the USA has been in touch, he sounds very keen and well qualified, and I was just about to give him the nod when I saw this.
[/quote]

Hi, we'd host it in our server but it wouldn't appear as a BC site as such. If you can find someone to maintain and continue to add to the site, we'll sort the rest.

Sounds like someone had already offered to do both but let us know if we can help.

Cheers
ped

[quote name='Prostheta' timestamp='1464029643' post='3055947']
Would that be Jason by any chance?
[/quote]

No, not Jason, but this gentleman sounds very keen and has some ideas for expanding the site.

I will let everyone know soon what's happening.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1464032727' post='3055985']
Hi, we'd host it in our server but it wouldn't appear as a BC site as such. If you can find someone to maintain and continue to add to the site, we'll sort the rest.

Sounds like someone had already offered to do both but let us know if we can help.

Cheers
ped
[/quote]

[size=4]Hi all,[/size]

[size=4]I'm afraid new owner now writes that he has been admitted to hospital with a virus. After having so much trouble finding a host, he is now interested in hosting the site here on BC and will be in touch with admin. Maybe it would have been a good idea to accept Ped's kind offer [/size]in the first place, but hopefully it will all work out.

On a personal note I am enjoying not having a website any more. I used to like telling people my site was older than Google, to which they invariably replied "I bet it doesn't get as many hits though!" Have been busy with DIY all summer, now know almost as much about toilets as basses :blink:

Graeme

Hi Graeme - glad to hear that this is moving forward. Once it's sorted, I'll contact the new caretaker about the work I've been doing recently. Got a full SB-1000 retrofit replacement on the boil plus I've just integrated the LED blinker into the BB preamp itself. All whilst lowering current consumption and banishing that on/off click in the audio by making the LED a "breathing" fader instead. It's damn sexy and widdles all over the modern Aria Pro II equivalents. :D

Not sure of the BC rules. Am I allowed to say, "damn" and "widdles"?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[b][size=6]Latest update - caretaker post still vacant.[/size][/b]

In June 2016, an American gentleman called James agreed to take over the running of my SB website. Since then I'm afraid he has been having a nightmarish time, and we have reluctantly agreed that I should look for someone else.

If you are interested, or know someone who might be, please get in touch with me by PM.

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1473698137' post='3132370']
BC to the rescue - we're on it, chaps.[/quote]

Ped, is BC's offer to host the site still open?

Graeme