Why become a member? ×

Changing from rounds to flats

sellisnba

Hi all, I'm thinking of changing to flat wound strings, I currently have rotosound strings on the bass. Great strings but I really can't get past the scratchy sound. My question is, if I stick to same string gauge will I have to get the bass setup at all.
I'm thinking of giving Ernie ball cobalt flats a try, I've tried Fender flats but found the tension a bit high.

In addition to possible changes in neck relief I think you'd also be looking at checking/adjusting the intonation as well (even when replacing like for like I always check the relief and the intonation, so going from rounds to flats would more than likely demand you do the same).

[quote name='sellisnba' timestamp='1463428534' post='3051320']
My question is, if I stick to same string gauge will I have to get the bass setup at all.
[/quote]
Basses all vary so the only way is to do it and then tweak the set up if you need too

I put Lakland flats on my P bass and the bass sounded much better than with the DR roundwounds I'd been using for years.

The Laklands are rebadged GHS Precision Flatwounds. A year or so ago I was looking at La Bellas and other strings but while this set sounds good I'm keeping them.

A couple of years ago I had an acoustic fretless bass with tapewound La Bellas on. They felt very nice to play.

I don't see the point of putting flats on active basses or trying to get flats that sound "close" to rounds.

Just for fun I took the, slightly strange, route of re-stringing my old '63 Jazz with Thomastik Infeld flats, using an all valve Monique pre-amp and then making myself play with a pick for an evening of rehearsals.

Sounded great and was fun to use a pick as I haven't used one for years.

Didn't spot any change in action but the TI's are a slightly lighter gauge than my rounds and are definitely lower tension.

Nice for the old girl to have an outing as well. Hasn't been used for ages :(

I found Thomsatik flats too soft. They're now on my fretless. I settled on D'Addario chromes for my fretted in a slightly lighter gauge than I had been using for rounds. Not expensive, widely available and quite bright when you need it.

Forgot to ask but were your Rotosound rounds steel or nickel? If you haven't tried nickel rounds then I think you might be pleasantly surprised; I wouldn't go back to steel after playing nickels; they feel good for fingerstyle and I've found they aren't as 'scratchy' as steel but they still have that characteristic roundwound sound.

Some flats sound better with use too. I like Fender flats, which come with some sort of coating, they always felt better after a month.
Also, on a good Precision, Deep Talkin' Flats are something special.

I'm tempted to go for flats on my 'Rock bass'. They take a real pounding and the rundwounds I usually use don't seem to last two minutes. We drop tune everything by a semitone (tuning is Eb, Ab, Db, Gb) which I reckon would alleviate some of the stiffness of flats. Anybody got any experience of this?

I went over to flats at the end of last year (La Bella) and I love them on both my Wals. Here are some more considered thoughts on them... http://basschat.co.uk/topic/273185-adventures-in-flatland-formerly-another-so-im-thinking-about-flats-but-thread/page__p__3004718__hl__flatland__fromsearch__1#entry3004718

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1463518286' post='3052070']
I'm tempted to go for flats on my 'Rock bass'. They take a real pounding and the rundwounds I usually use don't seem to last two minutes. We drop tune everything by a semitone (tuning is Eb, Ab, Db, Gb) which I reckon would alleviate some of the stiffness of flats. Anybody got any experience of this?
[/quote]

Yes - we used to drop the tuning the same way for the last singer/guitarist: I've got Rotosound Monel flats on my P-bass and it certainly made them softer. They also last for ever, they've been on there a long time and still sound great with no marks in the coating at the frets. We now play in standard tuning for the current one and I don't find it a problem, but I've probably "worked up to them" in a way! I've got D'Addario black tapewounds on my '79 Jazz, and they are definitely much easier to fret but I don't gig with that as it's so darn heavy so as it's only used for noodling at home I can't say about their durability but they do sound nice (to me but that is, of course, subjective!"

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='sellisnba' timestamp='1463428534' post='3051320'] Hi all, I'm thinking of changing to flat wound strings, I currently have rotosound strings on the bass. Great strings but I really can't get past the scratchy sound. My question is, if I stick to same string gauge will I have to get the bass setup at all. I'm thinking of giving Ernie ball cobalt flats a try, I've tried Fender flats but found the tension a bit high. [/quote]

I find the Cobalts a bit more 'compliant' than the Fenders. I doubt you'll need to adjust the bass, but at most you'll have to turn the truss rod nut a fraction one way or the other, nothing else. The Cobalt flats are really cool. They are a bit like slightly used rounds, nowhere as dull as flats so if you don't want to change your sound drastically these are a good compromise... and smooth, so no finger noise. Love them.

[quote name='sellisnba' timestamp='1463428534' post='3051320']
Hi all, I'm thinking of changing to flat wound strings, I currently have rotosound strings on the bass. Great strings but I really can't get past the scratchy sound. My question is, if I stick to same string gauge will I have to get the bass setup at all.
I'm thinking of giving Ernie ball cobalt flats a try, I've tried Fender flats but found the tension a bit high.
[/quote]
Without wanting to be condescending or anything - if its just the scratchyness as you go up and down the neck , thats a technique thing that oculd be solved iwth practise rather than spending money ;)

No matter what gauge flats you try, they will feel more 'tense'. Tension is the wrong word for this topic - flexibility is more accurate. Because the way a flatwound is contstructed, bends are harder to do. Hence, people perceive this has more tension. Rounds and flats are very close tension wise (in similar gauges). Flats are harder to bend than rounds. Other than that, smoother, less finger noise and all the other great qualities of flats to boot. :)

Funnily enough I've been playing Rotosound RS66 (steel) roundwounds since the first day I started playing bass, and I'm still using them. But I also love LaBella 760FL flats.

Just don't ever buy a double bass unless you've got about a grand to spend trying different strings...