Why become a member? ×

Warwick Streamer LX6 Defunct Active Circuit

Hi all,
I've been around the forum for ages but haven't posted anything much, so please excuse this rather long post...

I own a 2001 German-made Warwick Streamer LX6 which is a joy to play, but it has a problem with the MEC-2 actives.

Ever since I bought the bass it has been cutting out and intermittently playing passive-only, but now it has died altogether - it still plays through the passive circuit, but the active eq board has given up.

Interestingly, once I started investigating, and had the jack socket replaced as I assumed it would help, I discovered that sometime in its past it had been rewired from the original spec, (eg the battery -ve was soldered directly onto the jack socket earth, and so on...) Whether or not the original owner had had the same problem and sought to bypass it, I can only surmise...

Ok, so here's the Question: is it worth buying a new MEC-2 circuit with pots etc direct from Warwick, to regain the original sound of the bass (which I hear is really good!) or should I ditch the lot and go for something else? I don't have a huge budget - who does?! - so I don't want to go for something that isn't 'right'...

Oh, and someone told me that only Warwick pots fit the original Warwick knobs, or vice versa - is that correct?!

All advice, comments, donations welcome ;)

David

.... I've played a BCers Warwick Streamer (Luke's) and he has a John East Preamp installed in it. Very versatile and comes with the knobs IIRC. I've 3 Warwicks and if the electronics went I'd go for the same as Luke's.

Edited by jimbobothy

Only my point of view but at a guess anything new from Warwick is going to be mighty expensive. I'd be looking to replace it with something else, non MEC. Keep an eye on the "other" for sale forum here you often see used pre amps for sale.

[quote name='Dazed' timestamp='1463507513' post='3051939']
Only my point of view but at a guess anything new from Warwick is going to be mighty expensive. I'd be looking to replace it with something else, non MEC. Keep an eye on the "other" for sale forum here you often see used pre amps for sale.
[/quote]

+1, I forgot to mention that point lol!

Thank you for the suggestion; I'll go and have a look!

I had a John East setup in a secondhand Sei but I didn't like the (to me) rather woolly tone so passed it on...I don't know if that was the bass or the preamp though...
Someone outside the forum suggested buying a Glockenklang or Nordstrand preamp but I don't know much about their uses or how they affect the tone of the bass; they seem cheaper but are they as good at reproducing that Warwick sound, anyone know...?!

David