Why become a member? ×

What do you favour -straight plug or angled plugs

Kex

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1463565271' post='3052315']
Bit of a slow forum day..? ;) ANGLED!!
[/quote]

indeed... I'm currently drafting a thread on which color of strap you prefer.

Well which color of strap one prefers I should say... although a thread where we all discuss which color of strap you specifically prefer could also work... :mellow:

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1463566315' post='3052332']
indeed... I'm currently drafting a thread on which color of strap you prefer.

[/quote]

Clear, same as my Transparent Invisible Bra Straps, no tan lines ever

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1463569453' post='3052371']
can't vote... I feel somehow disenfranchised..
[/quote]

Yeah I too have had enough of this two party jack plug system... they are all just in it for themselves.

You buy an angled jack thinking things will change for the better, but after a year it just turns out to be a straight jack in disguise... it's outrageous... viva la revolution!

If it's a front-mounted jack (as specified in the OP) then I've always thought the right-angled jack is a better choice mechanically as, in most situations, the cable will be under less strain at the joint where it meets the jack, thus reducing the risk of broken connections.

As it happens, I do have a genuine [b]third option[/b] in my own setup. Years ago, after some confusion with a lot of black guitar cables of similar length, I ended up taking the wrong one home with me, and I now have one with two slightly kinked jacks. The sleeve is on straight (i.e., parallel with the cable), but the tips are angled a few degrees off-axis, as if they were designed specifically for the slanted output jack on a Strat. Has anyone else come across these before...or is it possible that the guy I inadvertently swapped with had bent the jacks deliberately to better fit his guitar?

Surely it depends on your socket. I have a couple of basses with a Strat type socket where angled just wouldn't do. Personally, I find angled plugs in the same way I find curly leads. Just wrong !

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1463634060' post='3052918']
Surely it depends on your socket. I have a couple of basses with a Strat type socket where angled just wouldn't do...
[/quote]

I thought this originally, but then after further pontification, I've realised that even on the basses I own with a side-mounted socket, I will typically loop the cable up through the back of my guitar strap, so even then the angled plug reduces the strain on the joint. The exception is my 8-string, on which the socket is recessed into the body, and not all angled jacks can reach in far enough to make a reliable connection.

Or, of course, on a Strat-style socket, where an angled plug would just look silly...but now I'm curious: which basses employ this Strat-style socket? I don't remember ever seeing one - now that I think about it, I don't think I've seen them on anything but a small subset of Fender guitars.

Aerodyne Jazz basses have a strat-style socket-mine didn't, but others do, possibly the Japan-only version? I used to know more about this. My Ibanez SR500 also had a funny, upward-facing strat-style socket. I hate to see straight style jacks sticking out of side-mounted sockets-looks horribly vulnerable to me. Always angled for me, less likely to get bashed on something, of which there is always no end of opportunity.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1463565129' post='3052309']
No real preference with my fender style basses if I'm honest... only straights on the Wal though as the jack socket is recessed.
[/quote]

Wot 'e said...

Yes, I have an Aerodyne which has the strat. type socket. It's Japanese made but then again, I thought they all were.. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't know enough about it.

I also have an Ibanez K5 which has a similar type socket