Why become a member? ×

Ported cabs give me ear fatigue.

Twincam

For some reason ported cabs and not so often sealed cabs give me ear fatigue after 20 or so mins at higher volume and after a while my hearing loses definition. I've noticed this at lower volumes but it takes much longer to set in.
Seems to be notably worse with 15 inch speakers, front ported cabs.

Multiple smaller speakers and rear ported cabs are not as bad. And sealed doesn't seem as bad.
Open back cabs on a few vintage combos I've had and currently have don't give me this effect.

So Is there a particular frequency range or frequency below a certain threshold my ears/brain does not like. Or is it something inherent to 15" speaker with front ports. As before the ear fatigue I actually prefer the sound of ported 15s.

Maybe you're got a sensitivity to very low frequencies ? I find the 'swamp' of sub-bass you get at festivals to be almost intolerable after a few hours, perhaps this is something along those lines ?

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1463579512' post='3052506']
Maybe you're got a sensitivity to very low frequencies ? I find the 'swamp' of sub-bass you get at festivals to be almost intolerable after a few hours, perhaps this is something along those lines ?
[/quote]

Yes I get that too.

your ears will fatigue after 20 minutes of loud music, no matter what cab it's played through. It's too loud. Wear ear protection or turn down.

It could be that the cabs in question are producing less "mids" (whichever frequency you like to cut through) and so you're turning up to compensate, which would make the fatigue worse and more immediate.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1463579682' post='3052511']
Yes I get that too.
[/quote]

Wearing ear plugs and accepting that sometimes you need to move around a venue to find a bass-light spot are my advice, but I've left gigs early for just this reason.

Edited by ahpook

+1 for this discussion. I forgot my earplugs last night (rehearsal) and am still ringing.

So who wants to recommend their favourite earplug solution? I've got some but I can't recommend them cos I've forgotten where they came from!

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='bigjimmyc' timestamp='1463583173' post='3052548']
+1 for this discussion. I forgot my earplugs last night (rehearsal) and am still ringing.
[/quote]

I always have an emergency set of earplugs in the bass case or gig bag since I would not under any circumstances play at rehearsal or gig level without them.

Edited by bassman7755

I keep a back up box of foam plugs in the accessory bag. Not where I wanted them to be when I knocked one of the filters out of the ear plugs in the middle of a number. Jeez we were loud!

I now keep several foam plugs in the ACS pouch on top of the amp.

Moral of the story: keep your backup gear where you can easily get to it in an emergency.

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1463585714' post='3052587']
Yes I think I shall look into some ear protection. It's weird it does seem to only be with deep bass.
[/quote]Not really, there are small muscles in your middle ear that reduce the movement of the bones that transmit sound from the eardrum to the inner ear. They tighten up when it is too loud to reduce the damage to the inner ear. I'm guessing here but I suspect since the bones move further with deep bass it is this which will trigger the effects most easily.

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1463587134' post='3052606']
Not really, there are small muscles in your middle ear that reduce the movement of the bones that transmit sound from the eardrum to the inner ear. They tighten up when it is too loud to reduce the damage to the inner ear. I'm guessing here but I suspect since the bones move further with deep bass it is this which will trigger the effects most easily.
[/quote]

Possibly I was just thinking I often listen to very loud music but only bass amps actually have this effect. But indeed could be those real extended bass frequency

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1463583495' post='3052551']
ACS ER15 custom moulded plugs for me.
[/quote]

Moulded every single time!

I'm going to order a set of 1964 Ears ADEL ear plugs soon. Looking forward to replacing my ER15/25's that have been amazing but are a bit long in the tooth now.

• 2 weeks later...

I am prety new to the world af amplified music, everything else I do is acoustic based. I have noticed that people seem to serously underestimate sound pressure levels (SPL). Whilst not 'accurate' get an app for your phone that measures SPL and see what you're experiencing - it won't be 'accurate' (proper measurements require freqeuncy measurement at a fixed distance) but it will be indicative. Bear in mind that for bar staff in a venue, they are limited to 85dB (peak I think rather than average) for one hour.

If your ears are ringing etc then it is too loud and you risk serious permanent damage.

I play in a large symphonic wind band - I sit in front of the drum kit, typani and 7 trombones and 95dB in rehearsals is common where I sit. I have ear plugs.