Why become a member? ×

Converting combo into head

Twincam

I'm hammering the amps and cab section today.
Thinking of converting my wem dominator combo into to just a head. The reason being it rattles so much despite being almost mint condition. I actually use it with a seperate cab which also sounds significantly better. I've tried to fix the rattling and short of putting screws and re enforcement everywhere I don't think I will solve it.
And think it might look cool, I don't believe they did seperate head versions? Also it would be easier to move around, take up less space etc.
Looking ahead this might reduce the future value maybe if they reach classic statues, I'm not really in it for gain.

Looking for opinions on if I should convert it or just leave it as is.

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1463606148' post='3052838']
Wem did indeed make separate Dominator heads and cabs.
http://wem-owners.com/images/my-collection-2/my-collection/
[/quote]

Non of those are actually dominator heads. Unless I've read it wrong. Also mine is a different sloping front model. But the heads do look cool better than a combo.

Edited by Twincam

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1463606004' post='3052836']
I wouldn't cut up the combo cab, but if you were to build a head sleeve for the amp chassis and stash the combo cab away somewhere then it seems like a reasonable plan.
[/quote]

Yes I could do this. Just thought it would look "proper" cutting the combo.

I imagine you could rack mount the head using something off the peg - ABS/metal/wood whatever you prefer? I have a Trace Elliot head that is mounted into a Gator ABS 2U and it is just the job.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1463614770' post='3052901']
Non of those are actually dominator heads. Unless I've read it wrong. Also mine is a different sloping front model. But the heads do look cool better than a combo.
[/quote]
You're right, my bad! It seems that once the combos were made into separate amps/cabs, the amps lost their 'Dominator' status
and got designated different names, such as 'Monitor reverb' etc.
Is yours the later version like this? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wem-dominator-bass-25-/291742606859
Agree with comment #3 above too.

Speak with Zilla - http://www.zillacabs.com/custom_cabs.php

They do plenty of head and cab conversions.

To echo others on here, I would be tempted to build a new cab and new head than butcher any existing combo cabinet.