Why become a member? ×

Delay options

Lightlyseared

I currently use a Catalinbread Echorec for rhythmic delays. I think the sound is nicely suited to bass (not too dark, the modulation is not overdone and overall it sounds punchy and percussive) and I've found it very inspiring for coming up with lines. I'm now after another delay that will do the trippy/psych/ambient stuff (oscillate and pitch bend) as well as classic slapback/echo. Every few weeks there seems to be a new, more powerful and GAS-inducing delay pedal. Some of the ones that interest me are relatively new and there's not much online in terms of bass-specific clips or reviews so I wondered if anyone had any suggestions?
I'm not looking for a swiss army pedal with a million options; it's more important that the core tones are really good and the controls are easily to manipulate while playing. I am leaning towards analog but it's not essential. What would be cool: controllable oscillation (footswitchable would be ideal), maybe expression pedal control of delay time. I don't need really long delay times or looping. Does anyone have experience of the following, or any other suggestions?

-Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man TT
-Walrus Audio Bellwether
-Earthquaker Devices Avalanche Run
-Source Audio Nemesis

I currently have an eventide timefactor, which is a real swiss army knife of a delay pedal. I am really GASing for a chase bliss tonal recall though. It has a fully analogue signal chain, but controlled digitally. The amount of options available on my other chase bliss pedals make me really excited to see what he's done with a delay.

Edited by elephantgrey

EQD Avalanche Run certainly looks good. I have the EQD dispatch master, and if the big brother sounds as good as that, but with all those options, it does everything that I want! not many demo's or opinions yet though, but I've had two different EQD delays, and they've both been pretty special.

Having gone through a lot of delay pedals over the years, I recently went for the Strymon El Capistan and its probably all the delay pedal I will ever need (maybe). I play mostly ambient stuff and its ideally suited to that sort of thing. Also has expression input for remote controlling of any parameter on the fly. Quality pedal that should certainly be part of your to try list.

The Timefactor is nice but I would go into options overload! The Chase Bliss has some interesting LFO options but few places to try it out. I'm hoping Hot Rox will start carrying his stuff, the flanger looks wild too. I used to have the EQD Disaster Transport and regret selling it, I only ever used it on guitar though. You never know until you try effects with your own gear, sometimes delays and modulation pedals clip with hotter pickups. I have heard and liked the El Cap, and the Dig is potentially interesting too, though the Strymons would probably need me to change my power supply setup.

From videos, the oscillation on the Endangered Audio Research AD4096 appears really responsive and usable but I think they are discontinued? I'm wondering how quickly the feedback builds up with the Deluxe Memory Man TT now. The Rainger Echo-X does some mad stuff but the tiny controls put me off mini pedals.

[quote name='uzzell' timestamp='1463610241' post='3052880']
Having gone through a lot of delay pedals over the years, I recently went for the Strymon El Capistan and its probably all the delay pedal I will ever need (maybe). I play mostly ambient stuff and its ideally suited to that sort of thing. Also has expression input for remote controlling of any parameter on the fly. Quality pedal that should certainly be part of your to try list.
[/quote]

Very nice pedal indeed... Borrowed one briefly, it's beats up my AD-9, DD-3 and Flashback x4 in it's own way (although the x4 is not bad at all).

• 4 weeks later...

Here's my types
[url="https://gb.muzyczny.pl/130173_Dunlop-MXR-M169-Carbon-Copy-Analog-Delay-guitar-pedal.html"]https://gb.muzyczny.pl/130173_Dunlop-MXR-M169-Carbon-Copy-Analog-Delay-guitar-pedal.html[/url]
[url="http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SuperNatural"]http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SuperNatural[/url]
I would choose supernatural, because i love it's warm tone.

Edited by blank20

• 1 year later...

I ended up getting the tap tempo version of the DMM, which I'm really into (I also liked the Strymon Dig with bass), but of course we seem to be living in a golden age of effects and in the meantime several others are coming out that sound interesting. I'd like to try the DOD Rubberneck, and there's a new version of the Endangered Audio Research AD4096, but there seem to be no clips/videos of that one yet.

[quote name='tonyxtiger' timestamp='1504551385' post='3365648']
Save a space for version 2 of the Endangered Audio Research Delay. It will be very nice. controllable, dip switches, effects loop for the delays. yummy.

And if its like version one, shamazing tone.
[/quote]The EAR AD4096 MKII is top of my wanted list ... however I've managed to cover my needs with Moog MF Delay / Bright Onion Trails Looper / Zander Circuitry Little Monster to 'ramp' oscillations :) albeit in a much larger footprint to the EAR AD4096 MKII

[quote name='sifi2112' timestamp='1504606067' post='3365969']
The EAR AD4096 MKII is top of my wanted list ... however I've managed to cover my needs with Moog MF Delay / Bright Onion Trails Looper / Zander Circuitry Little Monster to 'ramp' oscillations :) albeit in a much larger footprint to the EAR AD4096 MKII
[/quote]

Me too! its only been delayed about a year now so hopefully in the next couple of months we'll have them along with the spectra vibe.

The EAR AD4096 is a monster of a pedal.
I used it tonight on a gig and the expand footswitch combined with a bit of knob action makes it trip with all the lovely analog pitch bending and feedback.

The EHX Memory Boy is a nice compact and inexpensive delay that I use a lot. The modulation can go crazy and it can self oscillate very easily.

• 2 weeks later...

The Timefactor is a beast of a pedal, it's basically my spirit animal. I see you're looking at the Nemesis, which is a similar "big box" delay and whilst I haven't used that the Timefactor is simple as pie to use. The screen can display bpm, tempo and what every knob is actually doing which is a massive help.

The tape echo is near indistinguishable from the Strymon el Capistan and every parameter can be controlled over expression pedal. Having recently compared it to a Boss DD500 I found that, for me, there is still no comparison.