Why become a member? ×

Marshall Super Bass 100

Bloc Riff Nut

Hi guys/gals,

Can you tell me where I can get some info on the Marshall Super Bass 100.
I've been googling it but can't find the info I want. I have the opportunity to buy a vintage model but want to know a few things first.
How do the four instrument inputs on the front differ?
There are 2 cab inputs on the rear but they aren't labled. What is the ohmage?

All I can find is guitarists shredding their stuff!
I'm not the best internet researcher so I appologise in advance if it's obvious and easy to find.

Cheers,

Phil.

If it's one of the old models (pre-JCM800), it has two parallel input channels which are voiced differently - one brighter and one bassier, each of which has a high and a low sensitivity input. Many players like to link the two with a patch cable and then blend them with the volume I and II controls. Most models can run 4, 8 or 16 ohms with a selector on the back panel.

I haven't seen that much dedicated online resource for marshall superbass amps. I've come across three types, MK1, MKII and JCM800 all called superbass. I owned a clean and stock(apart from the mains switch) 1977 MKII for over twenty years and have a pic of it taken just before it was sold on. May give you an idea what a reasonably clean MKII should look like. MK1's look more like the MK1 super leads. All Super Bass amps are usually model number '1992' and have 3 preamp valves, usually ecc83 and four power tubes usually 5881 or EL34. Billy Apple recently posted a few pics of a very clean looking JCM800 on the forum.
[attachment=219891:marsha.jpg]

I haven't seen many MK1's but I believe they are quite popular with guitarists so I'd expect they would sell for more. Regularly used amps of this age( 30-40years old) will all likely have had repairs at some point, finding a mint totally original MK1 or even a MKII superbass will be more difficult. Clean JCM800's are more likely and a little less expensive as not so popular with shredders.