Why become a member? ×

Fender American Design Experience??

Dolando

I'd like this.

[URL=http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/minuspilots/media/f792fc70-aa98-4a93-bb34-7387d1a68d0a_zpsp2202hyb.png.html][IMG]http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag101/minuspilots/f792fc70-aa98-4a93-bb34-7387d1a68d0a_zpsp2202hyb.png[/IMG][/URL]

Edited by thebassist

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1463818870' post='3054240']

Just had a quick eBay search, and here's how it breaks down if you buy your own legit parts:

body between 300 / 400
loaded neck c 340

So that's about a grand, plus import tax on the body and neck
[/quote]

Why are you paying £400 for a body and ordering it from outside the EU? Dumb thing to do, I got an Ash P body for forty quid from a bloke in Norwich.

Unless you're determined to pay Fender Tax on everything? I'm not convinced that a lump of Alder is worth paying a premium for just because it's been through one of their CNC machines, frankly.

[quote name='AustinArto' timestamp='1463830483' post='3054378']

Why are you paying £400 for a body and ordering it from outside the EU? Dumb thing to do, I got an Ash P body for forty quid from a bloke in Norwich.

Unless you're determined to pay Fender Tax on everything? I'm not convinced that a lump of Alder is worth paying a premium for just because it's been through one of their CNC machines, frankly.
[/quote]

I don't disagree with that at all, but that's a completely different discussion - its about whether there is a difference between a legit Fender and a copy, which isn't the point of this thread - I was trying to figure out a way to end up with a legit, genuine Fender made from genuine parts, which, if you want to go the 'legit' route, will end up costing you just as much if you build from parts, not to mention resale value. But the 'my bass sounds just as good as any Fender' is not the point here. You and I and everyone else here knows how nice it is to crack open a brand new Fender (or any) bass, if you're talking about treating yourself, it's a lot nicer than cobbling together random parts from Norwich.

Now I'm not saying there's no beauty to cobbling stuff together from parts, my favorite P is a USA Fender with a dodgy knockoff body (not even a good one), and various other parts, and it's a great bass, I play it daily. Not a proper Fender though. Ultimately a USA Fender is the real deal, and everything else is just a knockoff, no matter how nice it is. Sadowsky, Marusczyk, that LaBella Olinto bass, they're all just knockoffs, even if they surpass the real thing in many ways.

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1463860963' post='3054648']
I don't disagree with that at all, but that's a completely different discussion - its about whether there is a difference between a legit Fender and a copy, which isn't the point of this thread - I was trying to figure out a way to end up with a legit, genuine Fender made from genuine parts, which, if you want to go the 'legit' route, will end up costing you just as much if you build from parts, not to mention resale value. But the 'my bass sounds just as good as any Fender' is not the point here. You and I and everyone else here knows how nice it is to crack open a brand new Fender (or any) bass, if you're talking about treating yourself, it's a lot nicer than cobbling together random parts from Norwich.

Now I'm not saying there's no beauty to cobbling stuff together from parts, my favorite P is a USA Fender with a dodgy knockoff body (not even a good one), and various other parts, and it's a great bass, I play it daily. Not a proper Fender though. Ultimately a USA Fender is the real deal, and everything else is just a knockoff, no matter how nice it is. Sadowsky, Marusczyk, that LaBella Olinto bass, they're all just knockoffs, even if they surpass the real thing in many ways.
[/quote]

Couldn't agree more.

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1463827535' post='3054336']
exactly the point I'm making
[/quote]

Ah yea, Completely miss read that! Thought you were saying it's what you would like to do. My bad. :)

Yea like I said I could buy parts and put something together thats of the same quality or maybe even better, Warmoth stuff is top quality and like you just said I fancy a treat as it's my 30th, and I've only ever had a couple of new basses of around £600, the rest have all been used so why not treat myself to a shiny new American Fender! :)

Hmm, $1600 plus shipping, import and VAT. Limited options, but tempting.

[URL=http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/Karl_Altdorfer/media/index_zps4wxo4svm.png.html][IMG]http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/q693/Karl_Altdorfer/index_zps4wxo4svm.png[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='thebassist' timestamp='1463747583' post='3053802']
I don't really see the point of this?
[/quote]

For me as a lefty, If I want a Fender US P or Jazz I can choose between Black or Sunburst with only Rosewood fingerboards.
This service offers me and other lefties a sh*t load more choice without having to pay custom shop prices!

I know i'm in the minority being a lefty but sometimes it's nice not to be ignored! :lol:

Just got an email from Fender saying they're upgrading this service, faster shipping and more options from June onwards apparently, and being renamed 'Fender Mod Shop'. Im hoping they won't hike prices too much, but if prices stay similar and more options are added, that's good news, right?

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1464297359' post='3058326']
Just got an email from Fender saying they're upgrading this service, faster shipping and more options from June onwards apparently, and being renamed 'Fender Mod Shop'. Im hoping they won't hike prices too much, but if prices stay similar and more options are added, that's good news, right?
[/quote]

Ah that is good news, well like you say as long they don't bump up prices too much.

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1464303122' post='3058389']
[url="http://connect.fender.com/Portal/content/Fender1/2016/FenderENewsMay26ADE.aspx?uh=-8296244722312524092&siteNodeId=11955&b=92985"]http://connect.fende...d=11955&b=92985[/url]
[/quote]

As I can't get one from the centre, I really want to order one for my 30th. But now I don't want to get it now and see something better later, or wait and the price goes up...

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1464377084' post='3059062']
Yeah, it's a dilemma for sure. If the bass you want is there already, I'd just go for it now. But maybe they'll have more colours, more pickup options, who knows..
[/quote]

That is pretty much my thinking! What if....

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1464530758' post='3060108']
There are plenty of parcel forwarding services about though. I've used Shipito.com to forward on a pedal that was only available in the US before.
[/quote]

That sounds promising, I didn't know Fender was USA only, and I definitely didn't know about parcel forwarding.

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1464531684' post='3060116']
That sounds promising, I didn't know Fender was USA only, and I definitely didn't know about parcel forwarding.
[/quote]

It's not so much that Fender is US only, just the design experience in particular.

@ dannybuoy Hadn't thought of the parcel forwarding, i'm assuming that you still get taxed/vat on delivery as per the norm?

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1464534685' post='3060146']
Yes. You get to fill in your own customs declaration though, and for a dollar or two they will remove all the paperwork from the package that might indicate how much it was worth...
[/quote]

Oh really? You can be 'creative' with your declaration?

I'd not heard of that either! Could be an option...

My other option was picking it up when i'm over there and bringing it back with my on my flight back. Not sure how to go about getting it back though, I see so many horror stories about guitars coming back in pieces! If I could avoid import fees, then even better. :)