Why become a member? ×

Fender American Design Experience??

Dolando

Hello all,

It's my 30th coming up and I'll be in L.A in september and you can pick out parts for a bass at the Visitor Centre in Corona, then they make it up and ship it out to you. I would like to do that for a birthday present, but I was just wondering if anyone here has been or even actually done it and got a bass from there.

Here's a link where you an design your bass;

[url="http://www2.fender.com/american-design"]http://www2.fender.com/american-design[/url]

Cheers.

If I did this I'd probably ask them to just send over the separate bits (would fit into a smaller package that way too) then get someone reliable to assemble it over here and give it a good pro set up into the deal (fret levelling for instance).

Edited by KevB

If you want a legit USA Fender with non-standard options, like a P with a J neck, for example, I think this is still your best bet. I like USA Fenders so i like this, I don't mind the limitations. I'm going to be after a USA Fender with a J neck one of these days, and I will go down this route if there's nothing better available at the time. Building your own using parts from eBay may work out cheaper. (but it's also a crapshoot)

It is probably a bit overpriced but so is everything with a bit of brand value, there are many cheaper alternatives out there if you're not bothered about the brand. If it's a keep-forever bass, why not?

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1463756177' post='3053894']
If you want a legit USA Fender with non-standard options, like a P with a J neck, for example, I think this is still your best bet. I like USA Fenders so i like this, I don't mind the limitations. I'm going to be after a USA Fender with a J neck one of these days, and I will go down this route if there's nothing better available at the time. Building your own using parts from eBay may work out cheaper. (but it's also a crapshoot)

It is probably a bit overpriced but so is everything with a bit of brand value, there are many cheaper alternatives out there if you're not bothered about the brand. If it's a keep-forever bass, why not?
[/quote]

That's the thing though, you can't select a P with J neck using this service. It's not that flexible.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1463755166' post='3053880']
Unfortunate that they've named this service FADE.
[/quote]

Still, it pans out better than their 'Fender UK Experience of Design' service!

[quote name='thebassist' timestamp='1463756480' post='3053899']
That's the thing though, you can't select a P with J neck using this service. It's not that flexible.
[/quote]

Are you sure? It's right there, choice of 4 necks, both P and J, price $1599, that's just over a grand isnt it? Not even a bad price at all to be honest, similar ballpark to Marusczyk etc. If it wasn't for import taxes I'd buy one now..

*edit - just did a bit of adding up and even with shipping and taxes that's coming out at around £1500, that's relatively not so much more than a brand new USA P. Why are people hating on this so much? It seems about right to me.

Edited by project_c

..in fact if you go with the modern body as opposed to the vintage body (no idea what the difference is), there is a bigger choice of necks, and it comes out $100 cheaper at $1499. Here's a modern body sunburst with standard maple J neck.

And with that - GAS has arrived at my house.

I think I'm not seeing something? When I select a jazz bass, all I see is the choice of four necks but they're all jazz necks? Maple and rosewood American standard and maple and rosewood American special necks. I can't see the p bass neck with a jazz bass body option?

Edited by thebassist

[quote name='thebassist' timestamp='1463783534' post='3054127']
I think I'm not seeing somethings? When I select a jazz bass, all I see is the choice of four necks but they're all jazz necks? Maple and rosewood American standard and maple and rosewood American special necks. I can't see the p bass neck with a jazz bass body option?
[/quote]

True, less choice for a J body, I guess that's down to almost nobody ever wanting a P neck on a J. Is that what you'd be looking to buy?

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1463756177' post='3053894']Building your own using parts from eBay may work out cheaper. (but it's also a crapshoot)[/quote]

Tbh I think you have to go a long way wrong these days to end up with Fender-based instrument that sucks. I've built two from parts in the last two years, both very different (a graphite-necked Jazz and an Ash P), all with parts bought blind, both are lovely basses, I choose to play whichever one doesn't have knackered electronics at the time (I did all the soldering myself!)

Really though, I don't think most players can spot a dog if it's set up properly, and most people's ideas of what makes the ideal bass are influenced massively by the bass they're playing now.

I just did an hour's karting with my nephew, got into my car and nearly binned it at the first roundabout, then got flashed through the first speed camera. It's surprising how quickly humans adjust to stuff.

[quote name='AustinArto' timestamp='1463787567' post='3054155']

Tbh I think you have to go a long way wrong these days to end up with Fender-based instrument that sucks. I've built two from parts in the last two years, both very different (a graphite-necked Jazz and an Ash P), all with parts bought blind, both are lovely basses, I choose to play whichever one doesn't have knackered electronics at the time (I did all the soldering myself!)

Really though, I don't think most players can spot a dog if it's set up properly, and most people's ideas of what makes the ideal bass are influenced massively by the bass they're playing now.

I just did an hour's karting with my nephew, got into my car and nearly binned it at the first roundabout, then got flashed through the first speed camera. It's surprising how quickly humans adjust to stuff.
[/quote]

Just had a quick eBay search, and here's how it breaks down if you buy your own legit parts:

body between 300 / 400
loaded neck c 340
bridge 30
pickups 70
electronics, guard etc 30
strings 40
case 75

So that's about a grand, plus import tax on the body and neck, all finished off with your not so perfect soldering, which does make the whole thing a little bit of a crapshoot, in terms of something being knackered and unplayable all the time. Times that cost by 2 to ensure you have a playable bass while the other is knackered, and you've spent loads more than by just ordering one that's legit straight from the factory. If you like tinkering with basses that's a different matter, fun for some but not for everyone..

[quote name='Dolando' timestamp='1463741492' post='3053729']
Hello all,

It's my 30th coming up and I'll be in L.A in september and you can pick out parts for a bass at the Visitor Centre in Corona, then they make it up and ship it out to you. I would like to do that for a birthday present, but I was just wondering if anyone here has been or even actually done it and got a bass from there.

Here's a link where you an design your bass;

[url="http://www2.fender.com/american-design"]http://www2.fender.com/american-design[/url]

Cheers.
[/quote]
If thats what you want to do mate , go right ahead .

I'd get a good used American Standard (£500 ish) that plays well, level the frets and set up (£60 ish) and replace the pickups (£100 ish).

IMO you'll have a much better bass and one you've put together yourself.

Hey all thanks for the replies, didn't think I'd get any!

I emailed Fender and apparently they are phasing out the build your own thing at the centre and will just be available online. So I'm gutted that I won't be able to do this whilst I'm over there, so trying to come up with other options like maybe ordering it, but picking it up when I'm there.

I've done a few parts builds in the past including a couple of Warmoth builds, and a couple of scratch builds, So i fancied one that is pretty much done and something a little special.

Here's what I was looking at;

[URL=http://s917.photobucket.com/user/DolanCustomGuitars/media/Screen%20Shot%202016-05-20%20at%2011.40.15.jpg_zpsp0frgafy.png.html][IMG]http://i917.photobucket.com/albums/ad17/DolanCustomGuitars/Screen%20Shot%202016-05-20%20at%2011.40.15.jpg_zpsp0frgafy.png[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s917.photobucket.com/user/DolanCustomGuitars/media/Screen%20Shot%202016-05-20%20at%2011.40.49.jpg_zps9qojyfy4.png.html][IMG]http://i917.photobucket.com/albums/ad17/DolanCustomGuitars/Screen%20Shot%202016-05-20%20at%2011.40.49.jpg_zps9qojyfy4.png[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1463821050' post='3054262']
I'd get a good used American Standard (£500 ish) that plays well, level the frets and set up (£60 ish) and replace the pickups (£100 ish).

IMO you'll have a much better bass and one you've put together yourself.
[/quote]

What if you wanted something that wasn't available as standard (p with j neck being the example in question)?

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1463822516' post='3054281']
What if you wanted something that wasn't available as standard (p with j neck being the example in question)?
[/quote]

You can have P bass with a jazz bass neck. It's in the neck options in the P bass. :)