Why become a member? ×

Gibson at Thomann*INTERESTING UPDATE*/Bargains to be had...

NancyJohnson

While Gibson's bass 2016 production is pretty much zero, a post on another site hinted at Gibson's wholesale dumping of [i]unsold [/i]2015 models into European online sites.

Thomann are offering the 2015 Thunderbird (vintage sunburst with the coil toggle switching, EB pickups and Babicz bridge) for £875 and the 2015 SG Standard (chrome hardware/Babicz) is £650.
P

Edited by NancyJohnson

It was about double what Thomann are selling it for now. Sean, you know me and Thunderbirds...I played the 2015 model in America last year, it was nice, but I honestly couldnt see the point of the switches; they didn't actually seem to do anything.

That said, if Gibson would start painting these basses different colours, I might buy a few more.

I've posted here and there that the big manufacturers are pretty much in a fug...Les Pauls and SGs, Strats, Teles, Precisions and Jazzes. If Fender and Gibson were automotive companies, it would be akin to them making the same vehicles for 50+ years and they'd have ceased trading decades ago.

They're simply sticking with the core models and will continue doing so while people either keep buying them or finally decide not to!

The machinery to cut out the bodies etc can't owe them much after all this time. Let's face it, the Tbird isn't much more than an electrified plank of mahogany, minimal shaping. If they dropped the price to sub £800 I bet they'd sell them in droves and make as much profit out of volume as. They do out of over-pricing.

[quote name='Grahambythesea' timestamp='1463935139' post='3055111']
The machinery to cut out the bodies etc can't owe them much after all this time. Let's face it, the Tbird isn't much more than an electrified plank of mahogany, minimal shaping. If they dropped the price to sub £800 I bet they'd sell them in droves and make as much profit out of volume as. They do out of over-pricing.
[/quote]

Let's face it, the P bass isn't much more than an electrified lump of alder with a few twiddly bits carved out of it (ooh, [i]fancy[/i]) and a stick of maple screwed into it :P

It is a shame Gibson don't do a few more colours in basses.
I had a white '84 Explorer bass for donkey's years. And it had a proper bridge.Still regret selling it.
The Silverburst and Tobacco burst RI's just didn't tempt me at all.

Now, a Sea Foam Green TBird OR Explorer, with single chrome covered pup would certainly get the credit card out :gas: :gas: :gas:

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1463945004' post='3055251']

Let's face it, the P bass isn't much more than an electrified lump of alder with a few twiddly bits carved out of it (ooh, [i]fancy[/i]) and a stick of maple screwed into it :P
[/quote]
Absolutely, there so simple it's amazing they work at all! 😂

Edited by Grahambythesea

UPDATE

I've contacted Thomann to see what the situation would be to do a 'Thomann Run' of Thunderbirds in different colours. To support this, I did mention the Sapphire Blue Yamano model they did for the Japanese market about fifteen years ago. They have actually come back to me and said that while they work with Gibson for guitars and specials, they've never done basses and they're going to enquire, so haven't shut the door on it.

Could be interesting...

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1464178460' post='3057244']
So who's the one who can photoshop a Sea Foam Green, single chrome cover pick up (P position please) TBird or Explorer bass.

[size=5]PLEASE![/size]

At last a screensaver to lust at :blush: :P
[/quote]

Not just a chrome cover, but an actual 60s-spec pickup!

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1463825071' post='3054301']
While Gibson's bass 2016 production is pretty much zero, a post on another site hinted at Gibson's wholesale dumping of [i]unsold [/i]2015 models into European online sites.

Thomann are offering the 2015 Thunderbird (vintage sunburst with the coil toggle switching, EB pickups and Babicz bridge) for £875 and the 2015 SG Standard (chrome hardware/Babicz) is £650.
P
[/quote]

There was a similar sale on at DV247 a couple of months ago, but a bit cheaper IIRC... I nabbed a beautiful Les Paul bass for just £649. Sadly it weighed an absolute tonne so I returned it.

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar

Stop getting over excited you chrome-fetishers. Let's see whether [they're] actually up for this.

Steve Barr/Dudepit did some limited action with Lakland and of course the Lakland Owners Group carried that on. I think for a Lakland the special order numbers were a minimum of twenty or something. It was ridiculously small. Given that some Gibson bass runs barely hit 200, you'd thing something was doable.
P

[quote name='synthaside' timestamp='1464184992' post='3057326']
Karl , is this what your looking for

more Photo's here

[url="https://reverb.com/price-guide/guide/500-gibson-thunderbird-ii-1964-inverness-green"]https://reverb.com/p...inverness-green[/url]
[/quote]

Erm, yes Lyle, pretty much exactly. Thanks for that.
Except the price tag, not the price tag :P

Even if Epiphone did a run of them

[URL=http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/Karl_Altdorfer/media/75e24a09-95f6-4110-9b72-c7f1ec96a6ca_zpsm3q3zie7.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/q693/Karl_Altdorfer/75e24a09-95f6-4110-9b72-c7f1ec96a6ca_zpsm3q3zie7.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1463946119' post='3055258']
Now, a Sea Foam Green TBird OR Explorer, with single chrome covered pup would certainly get the credit card out :gas: :gas: :gas:
[/quote]

Funny you should mention that... 2 pickups but here you go anyway:

[url="http://www.mikelull.com/site/instruments/signature/signature-ament.html"]http://www.mikelull....ture-ament.html[/url]

The red one at Bass Direct is £3K though!

Edited by dannybuoy

It makes me want to take a can of seafoam green to my epi tbird , shame its too nice an instrument to suffer at my unskilled paws.

Perhaps an ebay special karl , ive seen them go a low as £99 , i spy a doner right now in a facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/689090051102626/permalink/1167506796594280/?sale_post_id=1167506796594280

Edited by synthaside