Why become a member? ×

The most suitable amp for modulation effects

Westenra

In the market for a new bass amp/combo and wanting to buy one that can take modulation pedals very well. I'm very much into making my bass sound not like a bass through the use of several modulation effects (moogerfoogers, delay, reverb, octaves and soon a Critter and Guitari Orangelle) and wanting to know which amp would be the best to do so while having a nice tone without effects. Currently I've got;

Ashdown touring 220 1x12
Ampeg B100R
Fender BXR 400

Bass wise;

Fender MIM jaguar with EMG GZRs
Squier bass VI
(Hopefully a reverend justice)

I also greatly prefer treble over bass and for me the Fender does this extremely well and does pedals quite well but I've been looking into these ones;

EBS 360HD
Ashdown MK500
GK MB210

Supposedly all are clean to a degree and would be a perfect platform while still having a nice tone. Any others I should check out before jumping in? Wattage wise it'll mainly be used for recording and home use so a max of 500W, got a soft spot for retro/vintage looks and combos.

Edited by Westenra

I got a Gallien Krueger Fusion 550 last year from Bassgear.. superb head and, which is why I've mentioned it here, it has a separately controllable bi-amp tweeter output so very versatile. The front end is multiple valves for preamp and eq. Headroom a go-go. I occasionally use modulation effects, and they seem to shine through nicely.
No regrets at all about getting that one. :-)
Edit: I'd go for full range cabs and use that bi-amp thing for full effect.

Edited by hubrad

I was going to suggest a powered/active PA loud-speaker as you're running so many effects as they'd invariably be cleaner/less coloured than a bass amp but I haven't seen any that look particularly attractive, let alone retro-styled.

Depends on your budget but you could get one of those tiny class-d Minnie 800D power amps and a neo TKS cab (as I believe they're less coloured than the ceramic S112's) - the v-frames & choices of cloth/vinyl can make them look VERY retro.

• 2 weeks later...

I suggest having a look for a used Tecamp Puma. I had one (PUMA 500) and it was SUPER clean, perfect for fronting up with effects if you ask me. I used it set flat through 1 or 2 BF supercompacts and got all my sound shaping from my pedal board. Worked very well.

Obviously if you can afford to buy new, then EICH amps are the 'new' Tecamps. But they are essentially the same thing.

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1464694558' post='3061450']
I suggest having a look for a used Tecamp Puma. I had one (PUMA 500) and it was SUPER clean, perfect for fronting up with effects if you ask me. I used it set flat through 1 or 2 BF supercompacts and got all my sound shaping from my pedal board. Worked very well.

Obviously if you can afford to buy new, then EICH amps are the 'new' Tecamps. But they are essentially the same thing.
[/quote]

Funnily enough I was looking at them, they seem ideal. Sadly they appear so few and far between on the second hand circuit! How does it sound without effects because I would like to have a nice tone overall when playing clean.

[quote name='Westenra' timestamp='1464867828' post='3063274']

Funnily enough I was looking at them, they seem ideal. Sadly they appear so few and far between on the second hand circuit! How does it sound without effects because I would like to have a nice tone overall when playing clean.
[/quote]

I recently acquired a Puma 900. It's is the nicest amp I've had. It is clean, but more versatile than the Markbass LM3, which is similar, but the Puma has better EQ, IMO. It is very punchy and articulate. The 900 has masses of headroom too. It's a really great amp.

Edited by M@23

[quote name='Westenra' timestamp='1464867828' post='3063274']
[/quote]
[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1464905110' post='3063763']
I recently acquired a Puma 900. It's is the nicest amp I've had. It is clean, but more versatile than the Markbass LM3, which is similar, but the Puma has better EQ, IMO. It is very punchy and articulate. The 900 has masses of headroom too. It's a really great amp.
[/quote]

M@23's pretty much nailed it there. The Puma is very 'open', and really all you need to do with it to get a useable tone is to fiddle with the 'taste' knob until you're happy. I found the other EQ points more suited to dialing in the room rather than sound shaping, if that makes any sense!

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1464953932' post='3064089']

M@23's pretty much nailed it there. The Puma is very 'open', and really all you need to do with it to get a useable tone is to fiddle with the 'taste' knob until you're happy. I found the other EQ points more suited to dialing in the room rather than sound shaping, if that makes any sense!
[/quote]

Yeah, that's what I do. The Low is set at 30Hz, and the drop off is quite steep. so being able to roll that back a touch without losing low end is a very useful feature. The 'taste' dial is fantastic.