Why become a member? ×

NBD Schecter Diamond J

thegummy

For a while I was planning on getting a Yamaha BB424 as it is highly recommended on the internet. Couple of things made me change my mind though; I wasn't able to actually play one anywhere as nowhere local had them in stock and also the unorthodox pickups that would limit upgrading in the future.

Then I saw this Schecter Diamond J in an end-of-line sale from £500 to £300. It's made at the World Musical Instruments factory in Korea; same place as my PRS guitar and which has a great reputation for quality instruments.

Also, although it's superficial, I do love the maple neck look!

Very happy with it, I like the thin neck. Unusually flat neck radius but seems fine. One weird thing is that the tone knob is a push-pull and came with a label on it saying to pull for coil split/push for humbucking but the pickups aren't humbuckers, they're single coil. Turns out the push-pull is a phase switch that I can barely hear any difference with and the label was wrong lol.

Edited by thegummy

[quote name='thegummy' timestamp='1463834821' post='3054438']
Also, although it's superficial, I do love the maple neck look!
[/quote]

I see it now! :) Nothing superficial about a maple neck, it's an important consideration. I have had rosewood fingerboards and they're fine, it's just that I always come back to maple. For one thing, it's easier to see what you're doing on a dark stage...

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Grahambythesea' timestamp='1464083966' post='3056355']
Like the tricolour sunburst, not so wild about the headstock shape. Assuming those pickups are single coils, do they suffer from hum interference from some types of lights like many Fenders?
[/quote]

They hum when the two volume pots aren't at the same level

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Andertons have a few of these at a bargain clearance.always been interested in what they sound like , So i just purchased 1 :-) .......can't say no to the price,h ope fully it will handle drop C tunning fine

Edited by danbowskill

[quote name='danbowskill' timestamp='1468049892' post='3088238']
Andertons have a few of these at a bargain clearance.always been interested in what they sound like , So i just purchased 1 :-) .......can't say no to the price,h ope fully it will handle drop C tunning fine
[/quote]

To me it just sounds standard Jazz but you'll hear for yourself.

The description hints that it's humbuckers with a coil tap but it's definitely not, it's just single coils. The push pull switch is supposedly a phase switch but it doesn't really do anything for me. Makes it sounds a tiny tiny bit worse lol

Got it,it is very cheap feeling to me.i thought the front and back had a gloss finish? Just the fretboard on this one ,not as good as a CV or VM squire imo.....sounds are nothing special. Going to return it. Dang,i thought it would be a hidden gem after reading reviews elsewhere

[quote name='danbowskill' timestamp='1468275674' post='3089837']
Got it,it is very cheap feeling to me.i thought the front and back had a gloss finish? Just the fretboard on this one ,not as good as a CV or VM squire imo.....sounds are nothing special. Going to return it. Dang,i thought it would be a hidden gem after reading reviews elsewhere
[/quote]

I agree the sounds are nothing special.

Surprised you say it's not as good as a Squier though; it has Grover tuners and a much better bridge.

Thought I should mention here that the tone pot is crackly and can't be fixed with contact cleaner.

In fairness I have found the quality of the body and neck, the frets, the bridge and tuners to be all high quality and well put together. It's just in the electronics I've found problems.

Will need to look into how to replace the tone pot when it's wired up with that stupid phase switch thing.

• 1 year later...

Just got this Schecter PJJ. Best value for the money bass I ever owned. Comparing to the much more pricier Shuker and Maruszczyk Jake 4 basses with this pickup configuration, the sound is as good if not better. The build quality also appears to be excellent.

[quote name='thegummy' timestamp='1468766900' post='3093178']
Thought I should mention here that the tone pot is crackly and can't be fixed with contact cleaner.

In fairness I have found the quality of the body and neck, the frets, the bridge and tuners to be all high quality and well put together. It's just in the electronics I've found problems.

Will need to look into how to replace the tone pot when it's wired up with that stupid phase switch thing.
[/quote]

Could this be the fact it's end-of-line and has probably been gathering dust and/or moisture in a warehouse?

I expect a few people are bored by now of me banging on about how much I love my Diamond P/J (aka a Model T) but I've found the same thing - it's an exceptionally well-made instrument and a joy to play (though the wide, flat neck was quite a contrast to my other basses). I got mine back in 2012 and I've had no problems with the electronics. I've not tried any Shukers or Marusczyzks to make a similar to comparison to basski's above, but when I was shopping around I thought it held its own really well against the US Fenders I tried, and definitely felt a cut above the Mexican ones.

[quote name='basski' timestamp='1500629809' post='3339189']
Just got this Schecter PJJ. Best value for the money bass I ever owned. Comparing to the much more pricier Shuker and Maruszczyk Jake 4 basses with this pickup configuration, the sound is as good if not better. The build quality also appears to be excellent.

[/quote]

That's GORGEOUS. How well-balanced are the two pickups? (I've only got a single J in the bridge position on mine!)

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1500632819' post='3339221']
Could this be the fact it's end-of-line and has probably been gathering dust and/or moisture in a warehouse?

I expect a few people are bored by now of me banging on about how much I love my Diamond P/J (aka a Model T) but I've found the same thing - it's an exceptionally well-made instrument and a joy to play (though the wide, flat neck was quite a contrast to my other basses). I got mine back in 2012 and I've had no problems with the electronics. I've not tried any Shukers or Marusczyzks to make a similar to comparison to basski's above, but when I was shopping around I thought it held its own really well against the US Fenders I tried, and definitely felt a cut above the Mexican ones.

That's GORGEOUS. How well-balanced are the two pickups? (I've only got a single J in the bridge position on mine!)
[/quote]

This was purchased by the chap I bought it from yesterday and it was one of the end-of-line clearance one from Andertons. It wasn't played much (in fact it was immaculate, still had plastic film over the pickguard).

The balance is great. The positioning of the P pickups is same as for Fenders and the bridge humbucker adds a nice trebly punch to the mix. The bass is passive but the pickups are very responsive and loud.

Did not yet find one thing I didn't like about it. Oh Yea, the colour ... I never fancied the basses of this colour finish, probably because it looked quite dull on the pics... however I can't stop looking at it now. With some sunlight the colour looks gorgeous, also thanks to the glittery finish.

[quote name='basski' timestamp='1500638838' post='3339266']
This was purchased by the chap I bought it from yesterday and it was one of the end-of-line clearance one from Andertons. It wasn't played much (in fact it was immaculate, still had plastic film over the pickguard).

The balance is great. The positioning of the P pickups is same as for Fenders and the bridge humbucker adds a nice trebly punch to the mix. The bass is passive but the pickups are very responsive and loud.

Did not yet find one thing I didn't like about it. Oh Yea, the colour ... I never fancied the basses of this colour finish, probably because it looked quite dull on the pics... however I can't stop looking at it now. With some sunlight the colour looks gorgeous, also thanks to the glittery finish.

[/quote]

Must admit I quite like the colour! This thread is very badly timed...my guitarist friend suggested a trip down to Anderton's tomorrow for a bit of window shopping. My bank balance will not thank me.