Why become a member? ×

Ambient pad sounds

Chris Horton

You could use all the pedals listed above but at a cost. Best to start with a volume pedal or a Mooer Slow Engine auto volume, if you're lazy like me. The other must haves are a delay and a reverb. Put the delay in front of the reverb with several repeats and then max out the reverb. Job done.

Also look through Andy Othling's series of ambient tips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4R-Gx_gaWU&list=PLgt6WPxUgZIqP5idHHn_kylwTCzNUrHIO

Second that. To get a really nice ambient swell, you'll need at least one delay and one reverb pedal. Having a couple of delay pedals in series helps as they 'cascade' into one another. Options like TC Triple Delay, Flashback and Hall of Fame, Strymon Timeline and Bigsky, Digitech Polara and Obscura, MXR Carbon Copy etc

My current ambient swells setup on my second pedalboard goes through a Boss CEB3 Chorus then a stereo split through a Digitech Obscura, Mr Black Eterna Gold and a TC Flashback delay then out in stereo. It sound huuuuuge through a three-amp setup (centre dry amp and stereo delays)

The world, as they say, is your oyster

Edited by Bottle

It doesn't really have to be complicated. You can make it as simple or complicated as you want. Have a look at The Chords of Orion videos. Bill Vincel makes some very creative use of simple delay pedals to get lovely big ambient sounds.

[quote name='Chris Horton' timestamp='1463855352' post='3054605']
Flipping heck!
I had no idea it was so complicated:)

Thanks for the reply's guys that's great
I shall start YouTube'ing the pedals etc you mention

This is a new area of discovery for me :)
[/quote]
[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1463859213' post='3054634']
It doesn't really have to be complicated. You can make it as simple or complicated as you want. Have a look at The Chords of Orion videos. Bill Vincel makes some very creative use of simple delay pedals to get lovely big ambient sounds.
[/quote]
Agreed. I've just made it that way :)