Why become a member? ×

Amp buzz/hum

Thestonekid

Hello.. Anyone know what the deal is with eliminating that f@@king amp buzz? I know there's always gonna be some but this is pretty severe. I've unplugged the bass. I've checked the cables. I've had my head melted by watching people explaining it on YouTube. Went to Maplin today and was sold some ferrite cable clips. Still got buzz... Please help!!!

[quote name='Thestonekid' timestamp='1463860624' post='3054644']
Hello.. Anyone know what the deal is with eliminating that f@@king amp buzz? I know there's always gonna be some but this is pretty severe. I've unplugged the bass. I've checked the cables. I've had my head melted by watching people explaining it on YouTube. Went to Maplin today and was sold some ferrite cable clips. Still got buzz... Please help!!!
[/quote]

If there's an appreciable sound from an amp that's got no cable plugged into the input, there's a very strong chance that's there's a fault inside. A decent technician will be able to diagnose the cause, in all likelihood, and suggest a remedy, with an estimate of cost. Tell us a bit more about yourself (what make / model of amp, where abouts are you, is this at home or on stage etc ..?) and you'll doubtless get some good advice as to the way forward.
Over to you ...

It's a GK Backline 600 head going thru a BLX 410 and a BLX 210. I've been told that it's possibly a ground loop issue. I do believe that I need a technician to come and check it out as one of the speaker inputs at the back of the head is temperamental at the best of times... requiring some wriggling of cables to get it to work!! Apart from that, it's a lovely amp.

[quote name='Thestonekid' timestamp='1463861592' post='3054652']
It's a GK Backline 600 head going thru a BLX 410 and a BLX 210. I've been told that it's possibly a ground loop issue. I do believe that I need a technician to come and check it out as one of the speaker inputs at the back of the head is temperamental at the best of times... requiring some wriggling of cables to get it to work!! Apart from that, it's a lovely amp.
[/quote]

If the amp, on its own, with only the cabs plugged in, is making a buzzing sound, it's not a ground loop. Don't heed the sirens a'calling; take it to an amp tech and get it fixed, or at least estimated. He'll be able to fix the faulty speaker output at the same time.

At a guess it could be a issue with the jacks I'm saying that as you say one is temperamental. And bad jacks can actually cause noise issues. A common one being the fx loop send and return jacks you can actually check it's not these by putting in a spare cable into them one end in the send the other end into return. if the noise stops it's the jacks possibly they just need cleaning.
If it's still present plug your bass into the return jack the output will be lower but is the noise still there?
Hopefully it's just a jack issue.