Why become a member? ×

name that tuner

2 left thumbs

have been using a boss tu2 for years which i've been perfectly happy with.
my problem is, as it's got older the little dot that represents a sharp note has become less visible.
yeah ok then [b]as I've[/b] got older it's become less visible.
(will try to add picture i borrowed from the internet for anyone unfamiliar)
ideally what i would like is a tuner where the colour of the display changes for natural or sharp but a doubt such a thing exists ? ? ? ?
have tried looking on the internet, the best tuner can find for visibility looks like it could be this one

http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/accessories-c2/tuners-c51/pedal-tuner-c489/stagg-stagg-auto-chromatic-floor-pedal-guitar-tuner-p7817/s7859?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=stagg-auto-chromatic-floor-pedal-guitar-tuner-ptu-c8&utm_campaign=product%2Blisting%2Bads&gclid=CKPy8eLM7MwCFe8W0wodRbsMAg

it's not a vanity thing, i need glasses for reading and anything up close. when wearing glasses anything at distance is a complete blur
i nearly broke my shin walking into something not in my direct field of vision while wearing glasses
so recommendations please for pedal tuners only, must be reliable and highly visible

Not tried the Stagg but it's hard to beat the Polytune for readability:

http://youtu.be/v41aNTTs_VI

The Polytune mini is just as readable too, but if readability takes precedence over size, get the full sized one!

I have a Polytune Mini Noir that I want to upgrade to the v2 for the new strobe mode, if you're after a mini one and not bothered about strobe mode I'll do you a deal!

Korg's DT10 and the current PitchBlack's are pretty good and easy to read, though the DT10's were always so bright you couldn't look at them for too long before the LED's burned themselves into your retina, especially at gigs! :D

Depends on your budget, if you can afford a Polytune, then get one.

Edited by Skybone

I use a Snark pedal tuner. Clearest display I've seen on a tuner. Sturdy metal casing, actually detects a low B accurately and easily (unlike our guitarists' much more expensive Korg Pitch-blacks) and inexpensive too. Couldn't recommend it more highly!

thanks for the replies, budget is not really relevant, being able to see the display clearly is the main priority.
and i could probably deal with tuning to H as long as i can tell if it's sharp or natural
the polytune and pitchblack both show the sharp more clearly than the boss
and i reckon i could probably get by with either, but realistically my eyes ain't gonna better, and i could end up needing to replace it in a few years time
as far as i can tell the korg dt10 has a little dot like the boss
the snark's display looks nice and big, the way you can see the parts of the display, that aren't lit up in the picture below. makes me wonder if it could cause me problems in bright light ?
same applies to the planet waves
if i take my glasses off and look at the picture below the one i can see the clearest is the 2nd left
it's a monoprice brand, which looks identical to a modtone tuner, the stagg tuner i linked in 1st post and also a warwick branded tuner
[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/warwick_rocktuner_pt_2_black.htm"]http://www.thomann.d..._pt_2_black.htm[/url]
the reviews on thomann look pretty good, has anybody had any experience with the warwick rocktuner
cheers tony

tc electronic monoprice boss tu2 pitchblack pw ct04 korg dt10 snark

Edited by 2 left thumbs