Why become a member? ×

Removing lacquer and paint from a bounded body

lefrash

I have a bass that has a white binding round it. The body is full of chips and scrapes but not in a cool roadwork kinda way so I'm thinking about stripping it right back to the wood. I've done it before on other bodies with careful use of a heat gun and scraper but never with a binding. Anyone done this?reckon this could cause complications?

Binding will melt if you get it hot enough. It would also be possible to melt the glue and it delaminate from the body. So I'd do the sides and around the edges of the body by just sanding and scraping. You can also use one of the attachments on the end of the heat gun to focus the heat, so you don't end up accidentally heating up the binding.

Regarding resale, you might be surprised what people will buy. I'd look into moving it on as is before attempting a refin. The refin could actually devalue the bass more than the damage.

You can buy very narrow masking tape that makes masking binding a lot easier.

As said earlier, removing and refitting isn't an option. You could however remove it and fit new binding, although that might be a little fiddly (depending on your DIY skills)

Cheers guys for the hints and tips. I never even thought about it possible falling off... so as suggested i will use heat for the majority of it but then maybe a mix of sanding and delicate heat round the edges. I'm also contemplating leaving the wood 'au naturel' or perhaps a clear laquer so refinishing 'shouldnt' be an issue I hope... In my head its going to look very cool!! :D .

Sounds to me like there's too much chance of it going wrong to my liking. I'd be inclined to taking Manton's advice and live with it or sell it. Let someone else have the problem. I generally tackle most things, but on this maybe I'm just chicken.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1464024456' post='3055859']
Sounds to me like there's too much chance of it going wrong to my liking. I'd be inclined to taking Manton's advice and live with it or sell it. Let someone else have the problem. I generally tackle most things, but on this maybe I'm just chicken.
[/quote]

There's being chicken - and then there's being aware of when you're out of your depth.
I wouldn't try doing anything with binding on a MIJ/CIJ Fender - especially one like an Aerodyne which is a popular choice for those looking for a lighter Fender.

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1464110510' post='3056645']
There's being chicken - and then there's being aware of when you're out of your depth.
I wouldn't try doing anything with binding on a MIJ/CIJ Fender - especially one like an Aerodyne which is a popular choice for those looking for a lighter Fender.
[/quote]
I would be out of my depth. recognise it, move on.

To the OP: Good luck brother. I look forward to seeing the build diary, should you accept the challenge. I won't blame you if you don't

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1464015711' post='3055761']
Cheers guys for the hints and tips. I never even thought about it possible falling off... so as suggested i will use heat for the majority of it but then maybe a mix of sanding and delicate heat round the edges. I'm also contemplating leaving the wood 'au naturel' or perhaps a clear laquer so refinishing 'shouldnt' be an issue I hope... In my head its going to look very cool!! :D .
[/quote]

Good luck if you decide to go ahead. One thing to keep in mind is that the paint could well be hiding some pretty unattractive wood, which might make a natural finish be a bad choice. I believe the aerodynes are basswood, which is a particularly boring wood to look at, it'll also likely be 3 or more pieces joined...not to mention its paint grade wood so could also have natural defects. It's a bit of a gamble what you're going to find under the paint! So have a backup colour in mind.

[quote name='Manton Customs' timestamp='1464117236' post='3056723']

Good luck if you decide to go ahead. One thing to keep in mind is that the paint could well be hiding some pretty unattractive wood, which might make a natural finish be a bad choice. I believe the aerodynes are basswood, which is a particularly boring wood to look at, it'll also likely be 3 or more pieces joined...not to mention its paint grade wood so could also have natural defects. It's a bit of a gamble what you're going to find under the paint! So have a backup colour in mind.
[/quote]

I do recall someone stripped his Ibanez GW fretless and the wood underneath had an interesting, large knot. Trying to sell it later it took a while.

This is valuable advice. Especially about it being basswood.... never even contemplated it being a bit sh*t underneath!

It may have put me off completely! I can't find anyone in the world having done it (Or atleast discuss it online) do that could be a telling sign!
Great advice as always guys. Cheers

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1464164595' post='3057001']
This is valuable advice. Especially about it being basswood.... never even contemplated it being a bit sh*t underneath!

It may have put me off completely! I can't find anyone in the world having done it (Or atleast discuss it online) do that could be a telling sign!
Great advice as always guys. Cheers
[/quote]

You're not the first. I remember I was somewhat disappointed the first time I stripped a body. I imagined beautiful wood grain that would be great in a natural finish. What I got was block board. It was a Squier, so I guess it was somewhat expected, but folk talk of Squier/Fender as "they would never use blockboard!" Oh yes they do!