Why become a member? ×

NBD - Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub (44-64) *Audio*

discreet

[b]NBD - Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub (44-64) *Audio*[/b]

Bit of a weird one - initially I didn't like this bass much, having been drawn in by my favourite colour scheme, white and maple (even though I'm not one for pearl!) - I found the neck a bit too shallow front to back - and having decided to move it on almost immediately, I put it up for sale on here. Meanwhile, I had the bass on a stand in my room and began to pick it up and play it more and more as time went on and the bass didn't sell...

Long story short, I eventually bonded with it - and now I absolutely love it. I fitted it with La Bella 760FS flats which transformed the bass for me, it came to life - and that sealed the deal. It sounds more P Bass than a P Bass, imho - it's got loads of natural low-end, with that little bit of bite in the upper mids that P Basses do so well, even with flats. I've got a mint guard in the pipeline too, though I have toyed with gold... maybe even black. time will tell. Build quality is very good indeed, the components are high quality and the stock pickup sounds amazing. Great feel in the hand, too. It may very well turn out to be the best Fender I've yet played... ;)

This is a very short jam I knocked out this morning. Bass is recorded a bit hot so there are one or two crackles. I can't be bothered to do it again. :rolleyes: Hopefully you can hear that natural low-end - listen through decent monitors if possible. Direct through Edirol UA5 Audio Interface into FL Studio 12, no processing or FX except 3:1 compression. Rehearsal on Wednesday and gig on Saturday, will report back.

[b]*[url="https://soundcloud.com/mark-smith-908669702/lakland-bass-jam"]Audio Clip[/url]*[/b] (2 mins)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1463923767' post='3054982']
The bass sounds great as does the playing, love the little flourish at the end. :)
[/quote]

Thanks, Gary. The flourish is usually at the point where I'm thinking, 'OK, enough already!' YMMV of course. ;)

[quote name='tredders' timestamp='1463944098' post='3055243']
Lovely bass, and some great playing. Sounds ace with those La Bellas on...
[/quote]

Thank you... yes, La Bellas are definitely my favourite strings atm. They are so consistent, you know exactly what you are going to get. Plus, they last forever! I transfer them from bass to bass when necessary.

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1463989873' post='3055484']
Crying out for some tort...
[/quote]

Not a bad call, but any new guard is a custom job. This isn't a Fender P obviously, it's just not that easy to find off-the-shelf guards. :) Besides, so many people here and over on TB have said 'leave the pearl guard!' that I'm going to delay changing it and see if it grows on me. It IS quite a good fit for my retro-country band. And doing nothing is always strong motivation for me... ;)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1463990685' post='3055495']
Not a bad call, but any new guard is a custom job. This isn't a Fender P obviously, it's just not that easy to find off-the-shelf guards. :) Besides, so many people here and over on TB have said 'leave the pearl guard!' that I'm going to delay changing it and see if it grows on me. It IS quite a good fit for my retro-country band. And doing nothing is always strong motivation for me... ;)
[/quote]

There was somewhere/one on ebay that used to do replacement Lakland guards... Can't remember the name though...

We'll get discreet jnr on the case and it'll be painted gold inside a week!

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1463992221' post='3055508']
There was somewhere/one on ebay that used to do replacement Lakland guards... Can't remember the name though...
[/quote]

I contacted the eBay people and they were remarkably lacking in enthusiasm for the job. I got a price in the end and was going to reluctantly go ahead with it, but then got a terse message saying, 'Can't find template can't do it' which didn't surprise me. Luckily I hadn't sent them a payment.

Jack's Instrument Services in Manchester can do the job, but they want me to send the original guard as a template and I can't be without the bass for the time it would take. Plus Jack's mint looks a bit pale to me, I want a noticeably green mint.

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1463990905' post='3055498']
Just goes to show sometimes it's worth sticking with things.
[/quote]

It certainly does. I usually make a decision pretty quickly, but there was something about this that kept me coming back to it. I'm glad I did now, it's certainly worth getting to know.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1464009410' post='3055693']
It certainly does. I usually make a decision pretty quickly, but there was something about this that kept me coming back to it. I'm glad I did now, it's certainly worth getting to know.
[/quote]

They`re great basses, unfortunately with mine I couldn`t get past the lack of Fender written on the headstock - which is ridiculous really, but hey, have to admit my failings.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1464043239' post='3056127']
They`re great basses, unfortunately with mine I couldn`t get past the lack of Fender written on the headstock - which is ridiculous really, but hey, have to admit my failings.
[/quote]

I know what you mean and I usually feel the same, but for some reason it genuinely bothers me not. Every time I pick it up (about thirty times a day atm) it just seems to be getting better and better. Though I am very gradually adjusting the action and intonation in a long, slow-motion fettle, so that's helping. ;)

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1464078374' post='3056279']
Mint. It's crying out for mint.
[/quote]

I agree, but I promised to keep the pearl for a while longer and see if I can live with it (I don't think I can live with it).

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1464045031' post='3056150']
I believe John Mc Vie from Fleetwood Mac uses a Lakland these days, Although I'm sure he uses sensible strings. :P
[/quote]

What have you got against sticks of rhubarb??

Edited by discreet