Why become a member? ×

My p bass has been sent off to be reliced

Geek99

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1465337532' post='3067415']

[/quote]
I enjoy that show on youtube! Prime example of crazy 'muricans having fun with scrap.

Hope your bass comes back to your liking!

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AtLmuonyj7TxrEAs4TGtY8ZtHt7-

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AtLmuonyj7TxrEIDdcyk877TRihJ

It's now sprayed in nitro and for the money I paid, I'm happy, it's had a gentle rubdown to be less shiny overall and the bare sections look much more woody and less shiny than shown here

I'm not wild about the forearm contour but it's my fault not his, I should have stuck with it as he suggested

Edited by Geek99

Whether you like relic work or not is a matter of taste, personally i really like it when it's subtle and looks like genuine wear. I may not have asked for such a heavy job and if I'm being super critical there's some bits where you can possibly see the curve of an orbital sander disc to my eyes. But it's not mine it's yours and as long as you like it absolutely nothing else matters and as Painy says it does look better than a lot of factory relic jobs. I look forward to seeing it fully assembled though.

Thanks
I will assemble it and upload
As painy knows, I did start it off myself but relic chap was braver
We will see what the somewhat staid crowd at the church OM night think

Edited by Geek99

I asume that the neck is not messed with when you relic a bass(this is not my world) but is anything done to the headstock?Scratched decal?Dings and dents?Removal of finish on edges?Do knobs and other parts on the top get any treatment?I guess a well used strap is in order too.Any raw wood exposed or is it all coated?It's an interesting project.
Waiting for a pic of the completed bass to see how it all works together.

Raw wood was coated in darker nitro then rubbed to take the shine off.
The bass doc did the neck in three shades of nitro (head /f board / back) when he built it so I just rubbed the back down a bit, i hand rolled the edges and the head has s few minor dings

Edited by Geek99

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1466236577' post='3074280']
Each to their own :) The forearm contour does have some very smooth round wear, probably needs roughing up a bit to look more genuine.
[/quote]
None of it looks genuine. When did you ever see a genuinely worn bass as rough at at edges AND all shiny? I prefer the "cared for" rather than the "abused".
Each to their own. Pleased the OP is happy. Good luck

Edited by Grangur