Why become a member? ×

My p bass has been sent off to be reliced

Geek99

Chap down in Norwich - asked for dull nitro 3t sunburst with lots of mojo and checking. Results will be uploaded for your viewing (dis)pleasure (delete as appropriate)
He reckons a month or so

Edited by Geek99

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1463923691' post='3054981']...
He reckons a month or so
[/quote]

That seems about right; burying it simply [i]overnight [/i]in the garden is not long enough. :lol: :P

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1463924656' post='3054995']
I hope you packed it well :)
[/quote]

Could have saved a little cash. Send it via parceforce to an non-existent address, you'll have it back returned to you in a few weeks with a lovely amount of battering and bruising, FOC :)

You can get the Nitro to check very quickly, the trouble is I am not exactly sure how or why it happened so quickly!

I have just done a Candy Apple Red Precision body, the gold undercoat was done in standard Halfords aerosol cans with a Nitro red tint and Lacquer over the top, the gold had been on for a good six months or more as I had been using the bass in gold for quite a while. I did the red tint outside on a chilly but dry day and once touch dry moved the body on to the window sill upstairs in direct sunlight, then about 3 days later I did exactly the same with the lacquer coat, I then left it for a couple of weeks before assembling and noticed the finish had checked beautifully.

I did another Precision body in a vintage yellow but used Nitro from start to finish, that has not checked at all, so I am wondering if it was some kind of reaction between the Halfords Gold and the Nitro top coats

I know a guy who could of done it for you and "improved " it at the same time. He may ask about your finger size compared to sausages though. He has lots of ideas on eBay haha ;)

And we are not allowed to mention him.

Edited by Twincam

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1463929084' post='3055048']
Could I ask who it is doing it? Norwich is only about 20 miles from me and there's a bit of relic work I may be considering in future.
[/quote]
You can if it turns out well :)

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1463935840' post='3055121']

I'll keep an eye on this thread then :)
[/quote]
You don't need to, I'll let you know.
I've asked for it to resemble stings p51 for batteredness and dull paint

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1463949152' post='3055288']

You don't need to, I'll let you know.
I've asked for it to resemble stings p51 for batteredness and dull paint
[/quote]

That's good of you, thanks. I do like the heavy relic look personally and I can see how Sting's precision would be a good template for that.

Sorry,I just don't get it.Too old I guess.Then again I don't get severely distressed/ripped jeans either.Like I said in another thread about reliced basses, I might buy a "real" reliced instrument but not a fake one.Advertising and marketing win again,just like "distressed" new furniture.Different strokes....whatever....

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1463953829' post='3055350']
Just use it every day for 30 years, that'll do the job....
[/quote]
Sadly I have less than 30 useful years left and since I have a disabled partner and small children, I am unable to relic it myself. Its my bass, my money and my duty to play it, so I really don't see why I shouldn't do what I want.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1463982688' post='3055433']
Ha, yes was going to add parcel force offer a relicing service
[/quote]
I have experienced this, they managed to make a total mess of a ProseBass including punching a neat hole right through the wooden nut. Not their fault of course.

[quote name='Staggering on' timestamp='1463963296' post='3055409']
Sorry,I just don't get it.Too old I guess.Then again I don't get severely distressed/ripped jeans either.Like I said in another thread about reliced basses, I might buy a "real" reliced instrument but not a fake one.Advertising and marketing win again,just like "distressed" new furniture.Different strokes....whatever....
[/quote]

There's a F1 thread and a football thread on BassChat - both sports I hate. Somehow I've managed not to go on to those threads and tell them this 'cos that's just pointless and rude.

As The Staple Singers (a very together group) sang:

[size=4][i][color=#292929][font=proxnov-reg, arial, sans-serif]If you disrespect anybody that you run in to[/font][/color]
[color=#292929][font=proxnov-reg, arial, sans-serif]How in the world do you think anybody's s'posed to respect you[/font][/color]
[color=#292929][font=proxnov-reg, arial, sans-serif]If you don't give a heck 'bout the man with the bible in his hand, y'all[/font][/color]
[color=#292929][font=proxnov-reg, arial, sans-serif]Just get out the way, and let the gentleman do his thing.[/font][/color][/i][/size]

[color=#292929][font=proxnov-reg, arial, sans-serif]Just a thought.[/font][/color]

Ooops.Wasn't trying to be rude or disrespectful,just expressing an opinion and not trying to stir the pot like some people do.The last three words of my earlier post say it all-"different strokes.....whatever....",you do your thing,I do mine and we might not understand each other and that's OK.I'm a bit weird by some standards since I own and gig with a Yamaha RBX750A(anybody out there have one?) and a Yamaha SLB200 EUB and play through a Laney amp which is a rare thing here in Canada.Probably lots of people wouldn't get that either...and that's OK.Apologies to any one I have offended,I'll be more careful in the future.