Why become a member? ×

Picks

GM10

I play in a rock covers band so I need to use picks 90% of the time. I've been experimenting with different woods, felt leather, brass, bone etc. Incredible the difference in tones available through different materials. What's your fave??

I use the Dunlop Tortex Triangle 1.14mm. Nice and chunky so easy to keep a grip of, plus being a triangle, essentially 3 picks in one. Gives a nice firm attack on the sound too.

Edited by Lozz196

Dunlop 1mm for me - Textured at the "fat" end which makes them easy to grip. Just flexible enough to makes rapid up/down strokes even but tough enough to get a nice crisp attack. And they're black, which is the most Rock and Roll colour, right?

Edited by rushbo

I recently experimented with a thumbpick rather than my usual 1mm black Dunlop, and the experiment was a roaring success. My fingers don't get achey any more, plus I find I can swap easily between pick and fingerstyle on the fly mid-song, which has already proved useful!

I've got some plastic ones that were chucked in the case when I got my Peterbuilt Jazz... I have 5 or 6 of them and they are great. I'm guessing around 1mm 1.2mm. I might get him to send me a batch in case I lose all mine :blink:

I always seem to get picks free whenever I buy anything so I've ended up having the opportunity to try out quite a few different gauges... there is a sweet spot for me, not too flappy, but not just a solid lump of plastic either, needs a little give.

[quote name='rushbo' timestamp='1463939783' post='3055171']
Dunlop 1mm for me - Textured at the "fat" end which makes them easy to grip. Just flexible enough to makes rapid up/down strokes even but tough enough to get a nice crisp attack. And they're black, which is the most Rock and Roll colour, right?

[/quote]

Another vote for these, They have a nice grippy texture which is great for hot venues when you get sweaty hands.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1464022115' post='3055831']
These.

[/quote]

Think I've got one of these somewhere I've used previously for acoustic. Gonna have a route. Will obviously be flimsy but will give me an idea, ta.

[quote name='rushbo' timestamp='1463939783' post='3055171']

[/quote]

I use the same.

For those that don't like using picks, but need the extra attack, you could try using metal finger picks the way banjo players do...

I have done it because I already have the picks. It's interesting...

My thumb picks are metal, though, I don't get on with the plastic ones because I can't find one that fits my thumb comfortably, and the ones with metal clips and plastic picks are like hen's teeth. My favourite thumb pick has turned up edges, so it is easier to up-pick, whereas the flat ones can kind of catch. My first metal thumb pick I fashioned the shape of the pick part until it was about 3mm long and had a twist in it, to make up-picking easier.

These for me:-

[attachment=219955:Capture.JPG]

Still give a nice attack, but not as snappy as a thinner pick. They give a nice thick tone somewhat like using fingers, I find them a good compromise..

Edited by LewisK1975