Why become a member? ×

Yamaha BB1024 volume drop...

solo4652

I have a BB424 and a BB1024. With exactly the same strings of the same age on both basses, the 1024 is noticeably quieter, to the extent that I'm almost at max volume on bass and amp (GK MB500 + Tecamp 112 cab) at rehearsal. With the 424, I'm on half volume on bass and amp. I've raised the pickups on the 1024 as much as I can but it doesn't seem to alter the pickup output much. Pots work properly, pickup selector switch is fine, jack socket seems secure.

Any thoughts, please?

The first thing I'd try is connect the pup straight to the Jack and eliminate all the electronics.

Also what is the distance between the strings and the pups with the strings pressed down at the last fret?
This measurement on both basses would be useful.

Edited by Grangur

Thanks for your replies. I think I may have sorted it out. I bought two packs of GHS brite flats from the same supplier at the same time and assumed they'd be the same. One set went onto the 424, the other onto the 1024. I've spent the last two hours swapping strings around all my basses (the third is a BB1200) and I think one of the new sets may be duff because, no matter what bass I put it on, that bass is quieter than the others.

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1463999759' post='3055612']
Thanks for your replies. I think I may have sorted it out. I bought two packs of GHS brite flats from the same supplier at the same time and assumed they'd be the same. One set went onto the 424, the other onto the 1024. I've spent the last two hours swapping strings around all my basses (the third is a BB1200) and I think one of the new sets may be duff because, no matter what bass I put it on, that bass is quieter than the others.
[/quote]

Hey! Great to hear you have an answer. So the solution is to buy Elixir! :D

Funnily enough, Status half-rounds have been my favourite strings for many years. Because of the supply problems at Status, I decided on a change, and bought the Brite-Flats. Dannybouy is right - the Brite Flats aren't quite as smooth as the Hotwires, but I could live with either.